JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1696686527513.png

Robert A. Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky...and Farnham's Freehold
Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon"
Are three fiction books that have influenced my survival / prep thinking.

While all three could be seen as "dated"...all three are still a good read and make you think.
Thinking , as well as ....
Working with what you have...versus what you wish you have , are two often overlooked skills to have and use when in a survival situation.
Andy

Adapt, overcome, prevail! :s0155:

Well, you asked. This is a fictional work that influenced my preps.

Bought everything he shopped for here except the laser sighting. In 1984 Arnie had to have a big battery strapped to his arm to get that laser to work.

Last Edited:
Thought I would toss this out there for consideration: has there ever been a work of fiction that led you to engage in one or more preparedness step, projects, or life plans?

• The type of work can be of any of your choosing (e.g., books, films, theater, video games, et al.).
  • The work may be anything from very obscure to very main stream.
  • The work would have to have some intersection with preparedness, civil defense, self defense, etc.
  • Any time period of your choosing.
So, any come to mind? What was the work and how did it impact your preparations?

Thanks for sharing. :)

A boy and his dog
Omega Man
Soylent Green
Damnation alley
The day after
Thx 1138
Mad Max & Roadwarrior (I think we're at the Mad Max point)
20 days later
The night eats the world
Dawn of the dead
One Second After
The day after Oblivion

Fiction? Yes, because the truth is too scary

We are entering a phase of resource depletion. Cheap food and the cozy life we live right now is going bye, bye
  • Oil Conventional Old expectation (2017) new the 2030
  • Copper (2024). Data from the United States Geological Survey (USGS) suggest that it is very unlikely that copper production will peak before 2040.
  • Coal (2060)
  • Aluminium (2057)
  • Iron (2068)
  • Phosphor (2048). The last 80% of world reserves are only one mine.
  • Most major global aquifers 2030- on

Peak phosphorus

"In the U.S., aquifers in California's Central Valley, Tulare Basin, and southern San Joaquin Valley could be depleted within the 2030s. Aquifers in the southern High Plains, which supply groundwater to parts of Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, could reach their limits between the 2050s and 2070s"

^^ Suzuki DRZ 400 motorcycle in different variants is possible the only currently sold vehicle that would not be affected by an EMP.

The DRZ400 has a carb it also can have a kick starter put in if it's not an e model. You can put saddle bags on the bike and a rear rack can be put on as well. You can pay up for an oversized gas tank. The DRZ400 should be the top apocalypse bikes you should own. Very easy to work on and very reliable

The Day After. 1983 TV Film fictionalization of life in the USA after a nuclear strike. Frightening and realistic. At least I thought it was then. Affected me enough that after watching went out the next day and stocked up on ammo for my 30-30, and rice and beans for the cupboard. Doesn't seem like much now but money was tighter then and the folowing few weeks were pretty lean. Always been a science fiction fan but after that started reading some disaster fiction authors, precursors to Bobby Akart and that type of genre, too.
"The Day After" was not a bad movie but I thought the movie, "Threads" was better IMHO.

"A boy and his dog". such a cute love story... And as a movie it was one of Don Johnson early acting gigs.

"Animal farm", however not really sure if it rates as fiction.

"China Syndrome"

"1984" Not fiction anymore. :(

"A boy and his dog". such a cute love story... And as a movie it was one of Don Johnson early acting gigs.

"Animal farm", however not really sure if it rates as fiction.

"China Syndrome"

"1984" Not fiction anymore. :(
Triple "Super-likes" for Animal Farm, 1984, (Orwell knew from experience fighting on the republican side in Spain) and The China Syndrome. JFK's book "While America Slept" should be brought up to date and renamed "While America Partied"...

In answer to the O.P., I'd have to say Heinlein's "Farnham's Freehold". Read it a long time ago... That really shook me up. That, and every zombie movie I've ever seen, and I've seen a few....
Thanks to my Dad, who "worked for the government", I have been disabused of any notion we might survive an NBC war. I intend to breathe deep and embrace the suck should the deal go down.
It wasn't asked for in the O.P., BUT in non-fiction, it was the writings of Mel Tappan in various magazines published in the '70's that really built a fire under me, tho I had some very feeble inklings in that direction prior to that due to the social unrest prevalent in the '60's and early '70's. "You don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows"...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top