JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Dangerous Dog Breed List Has No Bite | The Bark
I don't know how to break it to my family and friends, but there's a Pit Bull mix and two Dalmatians in my house! According to the Daily Beast, I should be scared to death to live among the #1 and #11 most dangerous dog breeds, respectively.

Lassie, Get Help: "Dangerous breeds," dog bite statistics, and the Merritt Clifton report
Here's an important CDC number to keep in mind: based on hospital records, each year some 6,000 people in the United States are hospitalized as a result of a dog bite or attack. [From the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report: "Of an estimated 333,700 patients treated for dog bites in emergency departments (EDs) in 1994, approximately 6,000 were hospitalized." I imagine that number has increased, but for the purposes of this post I'll stick with 6,000.] 6,000 hospitalized each year: not simply treated in the ED, but requiring hospitalization due to the severity of the dog bite or attack.

According to Clifton's report [which, once again, is based entirely on press accounts], during the 24-year period covered by his study there were a total of 2,209 "[dog] attacks doing bodily harm" in the U.S. and Canada. 1,182 of those attacks were by pit bulls and pit bull mixes. (Lumping mixes together with so-called purebreds makes no sense from any standpoint, but Mr. Clifton lumps them together --- so I will, too, again for the purposes of this post.)

1,182 severe attacks by pit bulls and pit mixes in the U.S. and Canada over a 24-year period [according to the Clifton statistics] works out to an average of just over 49 severe attacks by pit bulls and pit bull mixes in North America per year.

If Clifton's pit bull numbers are correct, and no more than 49 of the 6,000 or so hospitalizations due to severe dog bites in the U.S. each year are a result of pit bull bites or attacks, then pit bulls and pit mixes are responsible for less than one percent of those hospitalizations.

<broken link removed>
REGARDLESS OF SIZE OR BREED, ALL DOGS CAN BITE IF PROVOKED. RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP IS KEY TO REDUCING THE LIKELIHOOD OF A DOG BITE AND CAN ENHANCE THE OWNER/DOG RELATIONSHIP

There is no such thing as a bad breed of dog. All dogs can bite if provoked. Responsible dog ownership is key.

but thanks for assuming it was just me and my one dog

Are you saying that loving your individual pit bull and basing your opinion of an entire breed off of that experience is independent research?
Now that's funny.

What I am saying is a majority of these pit bull defenders have not conducted any independent research but instead inject emotion and spoon fed propaganda (not backed by any research or fact) into the argument and claim it to be fact.

I have already conceded any dog can bite.
Would you please read my entire post and attempt to comprehend what I say before getting worked up an replying.

There are thousands of dog bites. Some of those are severe, some are not. A variety of breeds are known to bite.
There are hundred of severe maulings and human deaths, not to mention dog deaths. Every dog can do this, many different breeds are represented in this group. However, the MAJORITY are bully breeds.

See, I look at all sides and can concede that all dogs can and do bite. It's called an open mind.
However, I can also recognize that a majority of severe bites and deaths are caused by bully type dogs. If you can't concede that FACT then you most likely picked a side and drew a conclusion before reviewing factual information. Dont feel bad, politicians and the religious do it all the time.

Now, why bother using two studies to draw baseless conclusions off of. You can't use one to make an unfounded conclusion about the other. Your source does not indicate how many of those 6000 were severe or any thing else about them for that matter. It also doesn't list the breeds responsible and for what percentage of the severe cases. Using another random study to come up with a number is nonsense.

Once again, I concede that all dogs can bite. All dogs can be aggressive. All breeds have bitten. Many breeds have killed. Pit bulls and other dogs in the.bully family are responsible for the majority of severe attacks and often times are unprovoked. These are all facts.

If Clifton’s pit bull numbers are correct, and no more than 49 of the 6,000 or so hospitalizations due to severe dog bites in the U.S. each year are a result of pit bull bites or attacks, then pit bulls and pit mixes are responsible for less than one percent of those hospitalizations.

I like it. :s0155:

I have already conceded any dog can bite.
Would you please read my entire post and attempt to comprehend what I say before getting worked up an replying.

There are thousands of dog bites. Some of those are severe, some are not. A variety of breeds are known to bite.
There are hundred of severe maulings and human deaths, not to mention dog deaths. Every dog can do this, many different breeds are represented in this group. However, the MAJORITY are bully breeds.

See, I look at all sides and can concede that all dogs can and do bite. It's called an open mind.
However, I can also recognize that a majority of severe bites and deaths are caused by bully type dogs. If you can't concede that FACT then you most likely picked a side and drew a conclusion before reviewing factual information. Dont feel bad, politicians and the religious do it all the time.

Now, why bother using two studies to draw baseless conclusions off of. You can't use one to make an unfounded conclusion about the other. Your source does not indicate how many of those 6000 were severe or any thing else about them for that matter. It also doesn't list the breeds responsible and for what percentage of the severe cases. Using another random study to come up with a number is nonsense.

Once again, I concede that all dogs can bite. All dogs can be aggressive. All breeds have bitten. Many breeds have killed. Pit bulls and other dogs in the.bully family are responsible for the majority of severe attacks and often times are unprovoked. These are all facts.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon

"If Clifton's pit bull numbers are correct, and no more than 49 of the 6,000 or so hospitalizations due to severe dog bites in the U.S. each year are a result of pit bull bites or attacks, then pit bulls and pit mixes are responsible for less than one percent of those hospitalizations."

Been thinking, maybe if the owner is a s**bag, that might work to your advantage. Try to win over his dog. If you are successful, it might eventually bite the hand that abuses him. You pit bull owners, you think that might work?

Once again, aren't these two different studies. One studied hospitalizations from dog bites and one the number of severe attacks perpetrated by pits. The first does not review the severity and does not list breeds responsible. These two studies are completely different and related only on the basis they involve dogs.

Consider this, what if on a scale of 1-10 the second study only included severe attacks between an 8 and 10. What if the first includes all between 1 and 10? What if in the first the severe attacks between 8 and 10 only totaled 150? That's a lot of what ifs.

And what about human deaths caused by dogs?

Handguns were used to kill 365 officers; long guns - rifles and shotguns - were used to kill 140 officers. (Two were killed with a rifle and a handgun, and in four cases, The Post could not determine the type of weapon.) The ratio of handguns to long guns in The Post review - about 70 percent to 30 percent - is close to being the inverse of the ratio of all guns in the nation: 40 percent handguns to 60 percent long guns. But the ratio found by The Post matches that for U.S. homicides in general, experts say, reflecting the preference among criminals for handguns because they are generally cheaper and easier to conceal. The most common handgun used was the 9mm semiautomatic pistol, which was used to kill at least 85 of the police officers.

shall we ban the 9MM hand gun since it killed more?? even though ALL guns used killed?

What caliber guns do criminals prefer?

In their 1983 study, Wright, Rossi, and Daly asked a sample of felons about the handgun they had most recently acquired. Of the felons sampled--

29% had acquired a .38 caliber handgun

20% had acquired a .357 caliber handgun

16% had acquired a .22 caliber handgun.

Sheley and Wright found that the juveniles inmates in their 1991 sample in four States preferred large caliber, high quality handguns. Just prior to their confinement--

58% owned a revolver, usually a .38 or .357 caliber gun

55% owned a semiautomatic handgun, usually a 9 millimeter or .45 caliber gun

51% owned a sawed-off shotgun

35% owned a military-style automatic or semiautomatic rifle.

shall we ban these gus as well since they are bad people who only use the guns to scare people?

Been thinking, maybe if the owner is a s**bag, that might work to your advantage. Try to win over his dog. If you are successful, it might eventually bite the hand that abuses him. You pit bull owners, you think that might work?

yes i have done that on many a dog including a former police dog, just to prove that very point.

I was attacked by a dog when I was 12. The owner was walking it without a leash. No warning whatsoever. It took me years to be comfortable around dogs again. A lot of dog owners are completely insensitive to the fact that not everyone loves their pets as much as they do.

I don't get the whole pit bull thing... So many other dog breeds to choose from. It's all about intimidation though isn't it? Letting people know you and your dog are not to be messed with. Right.

I'm sorry about the police and all, but not surprised. Rationally speaking, I wouldn't discharge a centerfire pistol in my front yard if I could help it. Get some pepper spray and spray it the next time it's in your yard.

I don't get the whole pit bull thing... So many other dog breeds to choose from. It's all about intimidation though isn't it? Letting people know you and your dog are not to be messed with. Right.

If I wanted to intimidate someone, I'd get a rottweiler. They are at least twice as big and heavy as a pit, and much more intimidating. Pit bulls are actually relatively average in size as dogs go.

How obtuse. It's obvious you haven't been to an animal shelter recently. Most abandoned dogs in shelters in my neck of the woods are Pit varieties. I love Pits and don't look at breed when I rescue an animal. The newest member of my family is a petite 45lb female blue Staffordshire. I'm sure you'd freak out if you approached her and she started peeing all over the place because she's scared of you... The place she was rescued from was a kill shelter and they did nothing but abuse the poor, helpless girl.

Pit bulls are only dangerous if the owner raises them that way.... That dog Has showed no sign of aggression towards you and you think that he is a deadly dog for no reason. Why don't you talk to the dog owner and feel him out and maybe you can tell them your concerns. I love pit bulls they are my favorite dog. I as a pit bull owner will do everything I can to make sure my dog is fenced up, not because I am scared of what my dog will do but because of how everyone else perceives them. The springer spaniels you have had are far more likely to attack and bite then a pit bull

any day.

Bla Bla Bla! You may be among the minority who raises gentle pit bulls, but look around! The Springer may nip you; but a pit bull will kill you if he can.
If it comes down to shooting: Make it die on your property The mantra is "I was scared officer, I was scared for my life"

No, its more akin to AR rifle.

If we said killer breed that would be the negative connotation you're looking for. Bully is only referring to common ancestry/physical characteristics.

Dude, just give it up! It's obvious that the people defending these dogs could care less about how the OP FEELS. It's all about how THEIR dog acted or didnt act. So why continue beating your head against a brick wall? I personally hate all dogs. Every single one of them. I don't discriminate on that account.
Some fools would rather put a .45 through someones head than have a dog killed. And that makes complete and total sense to them. Just like every other subject, you'll have defenders of what you perceive is bullbubblegum. It's the internet man, people are allowed to be jagoffs. Just like me, I'm going to get slammed by dog lovers because I would rather see ALL dogs killed, just because I hate them. BUT, I'll simply have my say, and then ignore all the email alerts I get for this thread. Because I don't have any evidence to back up my FEELINGS on dogs, just that I dislike them immensely.

Semper Fi

How obtuse. It's obvious you haven't been to an animal shelter recently. Most abandoned dogs in shelters in my neck of the woods are Pit varieties. I love Pits and don't look at breed when I rescue an animal. The newest member of my family is a petite 45lb female blue Staffordshire. I'm sure you'd freak out if you approached her and she started peeing all over the place because she's scared of you... The place she was rescued from was a kill shelter and they did nothing but abuse the poor, helpless girl.

Oh for Chrissake... please. No, I don't rescue animals or hang out at animal shelters. You're right, that's not my bag... Maybe you don't differentiate between a Pit Bull and a Lab Retriever, but I'm pretty sure most people do, and especially when confronted on their own property.

Oh for Chrissake... please. No, I don't rescue animals or hang out at animal shelters. You're right, that's not my bag... Maybe you don't differentiate between a Pit Bull and a Lab Retriever, but I'm pretty sure most people do, and especially when confronted on their own property.

So many attitudes here....Jeez. I was replying to your comment about how all pit bull owners have them for intimidation purposes...I wasn't speaking as to what one should do when confronted with an unknown dog on your property...

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads