JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I can do next Saturday or Sunday (looks like less rain on Sunday). High tide on Saturday is 3:38 PM, but might be better to hit the low tide in the morning. I have 9 box traps and could take 2 people. I have a 16' side console that's less roomy than the more expensive aluminum boats (but at least I own it clear). Would be great if we could get a couple boats going down.

10624558_738429149569271_9213048796297690834_n.jpg

Well, I can do next Saturday or Sunday (looks like less rain on Sunday). High tide on Saturday is 3:38 PM, but might be better to hit the low tide in the morning. I have 9 box traps and could take 2 people. I have a 16' side console that's less roomy than the more expensive aluminum boats (but at least I own it clear). Would be great if we could get a couple boats going down.

View attachment 501721

Super generous offer...I hope someone can make it.
I'm booked all weekend, but if you need any additional traps, I have 6 that are rigged and ready... they're yours to borrow if you need them.
Hope you get out, and that it's great crabbing!

BTW, eating last weekend's catch right now. Butchered, cleaned and cooked (in that order) at the dock, then froze once Home.
They hold up beautifully!
Having them with fried ramen (yeah, that's a thing) and garlic broccoli.
A cold beer while cooking, and now some Bulleit rye in front of a fire.
Life is good today...

BTW, eating last weekend's catch right now. Butchered, cleaned and cooked (in that order) at the dock, then froze once Home.
They hold up beautifully!
Having them with fried ramen (yeah, that's a thing) and garlic broccoli.
A cold beer while cooking, and now some Bulleit rye in front of a fire.
Life is good today...
Yeeeeeah buddy! Now that's livin'

I'm the best kind of crabbing "friend" as I've been told, lol. I have all the gear, buy all my liscenses, pay for gas and don't eat a bite of it. I love crabbing and will cook it and clean it but just don't eat it. Too bad tough times came up and I had to sell my fishing/crabbing boat. I'd love to go pull pots and give away my keep while enjoying the water some time once again.

I am interested. When are you going out next?

This will actually be my first time out for dungeness. Looks pretty easy though. My next available Saturday is 10/13. I'd love to make plans to crab that day if it works for you guys. We would either need to go to a pier or find a friend with a boat.... @Tarawar86 maybe?

Yeah, I'm jonesing to get out too.
Pretty flexible schedule, good for gas money and a few coldies.
Have license and a few rigged box traps.
I'm lousy company though. All I talk about are guns, attractive women and good whiskey.

Sounds like a good party to me.

Anyone know if rainbow trout make good trout bait? I can start saving heads and entrails. I can't imagine a crab turning down a free meal

Don't know about trout...might not be on their "natural menu", as they probably don't co-exist in the same 'hood.
If sea lions are a concern (bays with salmon runs, and open nets where the bait is accessible), then raw chicken is your friend.
If crabbing with traps where the bait is protected, then salmon or cod heads or shad work well.

This will actually be my first time out for dungeness. Looks pretty easy though. My next available Saturday is 10/13. I'd love to make plans to crab that day if it works for you guys. We would either need to go to a pier or find a friend with a boat.... @Tarawar86 maybe?

Sounds like a good party to me.

Anyone know if rainbow trout make good trout bait? I can start saving heads and entrails. I can't imagine a crab turning down a free meal
Oregon Coast Crabbing | Kelly's Brighton Marina Near Garibaldi OR on Nehalem Bay Have heard good things about Kelly and his operation. Believe they rent boats and think there is a pier there too.

Don't know about trout...might not be on their "natural menu", as they probably don't co-exist in the same 'hood.
If sea lions are a concern (bays with salmon runs, and open nets where the bait is accessible), then raw chicken is your friend.
If crabbing with traps where the bait is protected, then salmon or cod heads or shad work well.
Crabs are scavengers. They will eat most anything.

Oregon Coast Crabbing | Kelly's Brighton Marina Near Garibaldi OR on Nehalem Bay Have heard good things about Kelly and his operation. Believe they rent boats and think there is a pier there too.
I have previously looked into this outfit....sounds good to me! Wonder if we can make a reservation in advance, being a Saturday and all. Not sure if you work during the week, but I'm also free on Thursdays

Turkey drum sticks are cheap and the crab love them. The Sea Lions won't bother with them, unlike fish heads.
They can strip out a ring in seconds and if they're really hungry they will tear into a lightweight trap to get inside.

l

I might be able to swing 10/13. High tide is at 3:30, so we would need to be on the water by around 1:30.

I might be able to swing 10/13. High tide is at 3:30, so we would need to be on the water by around 1:30.

Apologies if this sounds like a self-invitation (which it absolutely is), but I could most likely make this trip.
I'll get out at least a half-dozen times this year, so if someone who's never been, or can only go that day, needs the seat then I'm happy to step aside.
I'm good for gas $ and a few laughs...also have some traps if needed. Can meet anywhere on central or north coast, or provide a lift to anyone going from the Tualatin/ Tigard areas.

Either way, thanks for the generous offer.

Apologies if this sounds like a self-invitation (which it absolutely is), but I could most likely make this trip.
I'll get out at least a half-dozen times this year, so if someone who's never been, or can only go that day, needs the seat then I'm happy to step aside.
I'm good for gas $ and a few laughs...also have some traps if needed. Can meet anywhere on central or north coast, or provide a lift to anyone going from the Tualatin/ Tigard areas.

Either way, thanks for the generous offer.

It'd be great to get a number of people to go, especially with a couple boats. We could stage at the Nehalem Bay State Park ramp, maybe dig some clams to bring back also?

Do we need a low tide for the clams?
Sounds good...nothing better than fresh clam fritters and an ice cold PBR!
Can't help with another boat (unless an inflatable raft counts :()... any rentals there? Is that where Kelly's is? I'm happy to go in on one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top