Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Crab are filling up

Tarawa86

Reactions
We went out yesterday in Nehalem bay. Crab are starting to fill up and shells hardening nicely. We should organize a NWFA fishing trip one of these days. I don't have a huge boat but we could probably put together a decent fleet

20180906_145445.jpg
4158.jpeg
20180907_075753.jpg

Reactions

Mister Bisley

Reactions
No I haven't. Any good ?
They are delicious. The bay water gives the meat a sweet and rich, almost buttery flavor. We steam them with a liberal coating of old bay and a dash of cider vinegar in the water. The Jimmies(males) taste the better than the Sooks(females) and are usually more expensive. Plus the females are the reproducers, so we like to throw them back.

I’d love to get into some fresh out of the water Dungeness sometime. I have only had them pre-cooked.

Flymph

Reactions
I have not. This should be fun:D
I've never met anyone who prefers the blue over dungenous. ;)
There are some docks you can pay to crab from on nehalem bay and some free ones on tillamook bay. Of course Nehalem bay has the best crab, but they're all pretty good. Except I hear willapa bay crab have the least desireable flavor. It's easy, I might head out tomorrow!

Flymph

Reactions
Iirc you can rent aluminum fishing boats with tiller motors at nehalem bay they seat up to 4, includes life jackets, fuel, baited crab rings and everything for like $50hr.
The Jetty Fishery and Kelly's Marine are 3 rings and a 14' boat starting at about $90 for the first two hours and like $50 for every hour after that.
Is there another rental out of wheeler? Last time I went the the Jetty Fishery, they told me I was too rough on the crabs (because i tossed them back instead of gently kissing them before swimming them back to the bottom)...

Last edited:

Mister Bisley

Reactions
Iirc you can rent aluminum fishing boats with tiller motors at nehalem bay they seat up to 4, includes life jackets, fuel, baited crab rings and everything for like $50hr.
I saw an outfit called Kelly’s Marina. They were $100/ 2 hours. They have tent camping as well as RV camping. Might not be a bad overnighter.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've done many transfers with these guys. They know their stuff, they're very approachable and...
    • Art_Vandelay
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've always felt comfortable at J&B, first time I ever went there I walked out with a new Glock...
    • Zapata47
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Maybe I'm biased since I live 5 minutes away, but Peter and his crew have always been friendly...
    • Zapata47
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    It has been a while since I have been in the store just because I don't get to downtown Tigard...
    • bobcat7677
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Love all the Guys and Gals, the redbeard is pleased. Even if it wasn't 1 min away from my house...
    • SVT-ROY

Staff online