JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If we can't get other boats I can always ferry people out to drop off and pick up their traps; there are some good spots very close to the Nehalem Bay State Park dock. Some could probably dig clams during this time since we would start out roughly two hours prior to high tide. Weather.com is predicting showers that day though, so it might be a bit soggy for all involved...

Capture.JPG
Do we need a low tide for the clams?
Sounds good...nothing better than fresh clam fritters and an ice cold PBR!
Can't help with another boat (unless an inflatable raft counts :()... any rentals there? Is that where Kelly's is? I'm happy to go in on one.

This will actually be my first time out for dungeness. Looks pretty easy though. My next available Saturday is 10/13. I'd love to make plans to crab that day if it works for you guys. We would either need to go to a pier or find a friend with a boat.... @Tarawar86 maybe?
Sounds like a good party to me.
Anyone know if rainbow trout make good trout bait? I can start saving heads and entrails. I can't imagine a crab turning down a free meal

If we can't get other boats I can always ferry people out to drop off and pick up their traps; there are some good spots very close to the Nehalem Bay State Park dock. Some could probably dig clams during this time since we would start out roughly two hours prior to high tide. Weather.com is predicting showers that day though, so it might be a bit soggy for all involved...
If you're talking about the 11th theough the 13th tose are clam tides (at least in longbeach)...
Just thought I'd offer some encouragement... I'll be at work and going to Lincoln city for a family event a few days later, so I can't invite myself. ;)

This makes my recent purchase seem not so crazy.
View attachment 504294

Awesome! I'd also like to move to a glass boat, with an 18-22' Arima being my preference. However, having a son in college pushes that goal out a bit. After the fishing season is over this year I'm (hopefully) going to replace my floorboards and convert my boat to a dual console that is about 2' further forward.

Also agree that the cost of those rental boats quickly don't pencil out, and it's just cheaper to go buy the crab.

Kelly's is awesome. Wife and I went last Thursday... only bummer was we didn't find any keepers. Anybody know where they're hiding?

It can be hard to determine the right spots without a depth finder. I also find it best to crab starting at around 2 hours before peak tide through about 1 or so hours afterward. Where were you guys dropping your traps?

Kelly's is awesome. Wife and I went last Thursday... only bummer was we didn't find any keepers. Anybody know where they're hiding?
Ask Kelly next time, it is likely they are out near the mouth/ocean or further up the bay.
Sometimes you just don't get them. Slack tides are good for feeding...

We were dropping in the channel a few hundred yards north of kelly's. We asked around before we went out. Sounded like everyone was having a pretty rough time.

If the tidal flow is too great (too much water flowing between the high and low, or low and high, tides) then the crab will just burrow until slack tide when the water slows down.

We were dropping in the channel a few hundred yards north of kelly's. We asked around before we went out. Sounded like everyone was having a pretty rough time.

Start at the X, roughly 1.5-2 hours before a high tide, and work your way toward the O to try and find them. There is a deep channel that runs pretty much along the red line, and stay about 10 feet or so shoreward of the green buoys. It's better if you drop in at least 15-16 feet of water, and if you bring up too much seaweed you have to move. It's worth it to watch Bi-Mart for their box trap sales, you can sometimes get them for 10 bucks. 2 people can put 6 traps out, making it easier to find out where they are and also cuts down on rental costs (plus, I'm not a fan of rings, to easy for them to escape). I would also recommend bringing your own fresh bait (chicken or turkey works great). In my experience we get less crabs when using the old freezer burned stuff from the rental places.
Capture.JPG

If the current is real heavy, try adding some weight to the traps entry gates. A little bit of soft pencil lead wrapped around the bottom of the gate works well.
A stiff current can keep the traps gates swinging open and the larger crab can work their way out if left to long to figure a way to escape.
I like an incoming tide early in the morning, as it seems they're more hungry then later in the day.

This makes my recent purchase seem not so crazy.
View attachment 504294

If you want to go to Kelly's . Call him and say " Crzy Nathan said you would hook him up"
It's about $200 for an Entire day !! 10 + hours

As long as it's a week day......
And Kelly is drunk and likes you.
And you don't pizz off Janice.
Especially don't pizz off Janice.........

And she can't be there to yell at the Kanook for hooking you up:)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads