JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Beat the water with a crab hawk out in Netarts today and brought in this ugly bugger. Can someone tell me what it is? I could Google Foo some pictures but nothing just like it.

IMG_20230414_134746218.jpg

It looks kind of like what we called Spider Crabs when we were kids. Saw them a lot hanging on pilings.

You can't eat them so we would kill any that we found. Ugly little crustaceans.

Kelp Crabs are a subspecies of Spider Crabs.

I wouldn't eat one on a bet. As kids, we were told that they were inedible. They are too ugly to eat and I don't think that there is enough meat to make it worthwhile.

What is a King Crab but a oversized spider crab. :s0092:
You would just be eating the leg meat same as any other crab. ;)

If I was still diving, I would be picking up sea Cucumbers. They make
a great chowder. The meat has a mild flavor, like Razor Clams. :)

Beside, it's fun grossing out the dock with the way they look. :eek:
Don't be surprised if the meat keeps moving after you've skinned them. :rolleyes:

They are perfectly edible. It's just a lot of work for the tiny amount of meat you get. Most folks just break off the claw legs (or just the claws) to cook. The rest isn't worth the bother and no body meat at all to speak of.

They can be used to make a stock with though.

I wouldn't eat one on a bet. As kids, we were told that they were inedible. They are too ugly to eat and I don't think that there is enough meat to make it worthwhile.
Not saying your wrong because I don't know, but when the Japanese crabs first starting showing up everyone said not to eat them but I see people keeping them and I have given them away to people who asked for them. I finally tried one because sometimes that's all i catch off the docks and you know what they were not bad. Just harder to get the meat out of. But having grown up being told not to eat them I still get creeped out about eating so I just give them away.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top