JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems like something I'd like to get into.

Looking at a $40 Daiwa Beefstick. Other rod recommendations welcome.

Not yet decided on a reel, will go to Sportsmans later this weekend to look at some. Recommendations welcome.

I picked up a few custom snare rigs. Any tips or pointers there would be appreciated.

Line? 40-50#?

Figure it wouldn't hurt to throw a snare in whenever the family goes to the beach. Even if I don't get any crab, it's at least something I could do while the kid goes nuts in the sand!

Thanks!

Reno

I don't have any experience with the Diawa, but looks like a decent choice. I have 65# braid on all my reels for ease of keeping things simple. I have an older Okuma Inspria 30x spinning reel that has been on various poles for over 15 years.

I would go with a 30 - 40 size, it will give you decent line capacity and will be set up for the heavier load. You could go bigger, but a larger reel becomes a one trick pony.

Would just about any heavy or extra heavy rod do the trick?

While you don't want a literal broom stick, just about any heavy rod will do. If you are in the surf, a longer rod is generally preferred. A 10' heavy Daiwa would be fine. The Penn Fury is a good reel, size 3k or 4k would be ideal if you ever wanted to use it on something else. I prefer the penn battle 2, but it's another $40-$50... Heavy braid is the way to go, at least 50lb braid.

I use a Penn 321, poss 320 (R vs L hand) and a heavy ugly stick. I've used this combo for years off the jetty's and shores, even for sturgeon in the rivers. Above the bait box I use a sliding weight holder and depending on tide times up to 8oz of weight. With the weights about to slide it lets the bait box move a bit in the flow and you can "feel" the nibble. Oh man, you just brought back some memories for me. Haven't gone in several years but used to go several times a month!

I haven't used the snare you're talking about but seen people trying with them without much success.
What I like using is a collapsible net/cage thing you can throw by hand or with a pole from the shore. They're like $15. You put a chicken leg in it and cast it out. Wait 10 min and reel in a bunch o crabs. Sort out the keepers and your good to go for the crab feast.

Crabmax and a handline that comes with it, don't need a rod or reel, twirl it about and zing it out. Pull it in 15 min later with crab in it. Works.

You can connect it to a rod and reel and some do, but why not get a used rod/reel for like $20? Remember that you can use up to 3 traps, so toss one out, step over 30 feet, do the next, etc etc.

https://www.crabmax.com/

I haven't used the snare you're talking about but seen people trying with them without much success.
What I like using is a collapsible net/cage thing you can throw by hand or with a pole from the shore. They're like $15. You put a chicken leg in it and cast it out. Wait 10 min and reel in a bunch o crabs. Sort out the keepers and your good to go for the crab feast.
I've had the opposite experience, where I get a ton of under sized crab in the CrabHawk, and have better odds with keepers in the snares.
I think the snares also are more cast able, so would probably be better off a beach. Also, unless you have constant momentum reeling in, the snare is better at staying snug as the CrabHawk tends to open if bumped or impeded.
I suggest you buy and try both.

I'll have to try this. One of the beaches we go to has a place where I think this should work well. Worth a try!

I once watched some guys from Michigan (out of state wedding guests) casting tangle traps from the beach at Netarts Bay and throwing back a bunch of legal sized male crabs because they were using the wrong sized notch on an old crab size checker.

I finally asked them why they were tossing back legal sized crab and they showed me the plastic crab checker that had no lettering left on it and they assumed that the largest notch which is only for California sized Dungeness crab was the correct size to go by.

When I showed them my new checker which shows the Oregon notch being the smallest size, then Washington and finally California, they couldn't believe it. They had rented a boat the day before and they told me how they had tossed back dozens of crab that fit the Oregon size and even some Washington ones and after four hard hours they only had one huge oversized mossyback for their troubles.

Man were they bummed out.

Last Edited:
I once watched some guys from Michigan (out of state wedding guests) casting tangle traps from the beach at Netarts Bay throwing back a bunch of legal sized male crabs because they were using the wrong sized notch on an old crab size checker.

I finally asked them why they were tossing back legal sized crab and they showed me the plastic crab checker that had no lettering left on it and they assumed that the largest notch which is only for California sized Dungeness crab was the correct size to go by.

When I showed them my new checker which shows the Oregon notch being the smallest size, then Washington and finally California, they couldn't believe it. They had rented a boat the day before and they told me how they had tossed back dozens of crab that fit the Oregon size and even some Washington ones and after four hard hours they only had one huge oversized mossyback for their troubles.

Man were they bummed out.
Been there done that :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews