JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not saying your wrong because I don't know, but when the Japanese crabs first starting showing up everyone said not to eat them but I see people keeping them and even have given the away to people who asked for them. I finally tried one because sometimes that's all i catch off the docks and you know what they were not bad. Just hard to get to. But having grown up being told not to eat them I still get creeped out about eating so I just give them away.
Crab, lobster, halibut is the cockroach of the ocean.

Crab, lobster, halibut is the cockroach of the ocean.
Does that mean we can eat cockroaches? :s0114:

I watched a kid eat a cockroach once. It was back in the 70s I was at a friends apartment in SE Portland and there were these hippies living there, Real hippies because it was the 70s not the wannabes of today. and they had a kid must have been around 2 they would just let run around the common ground of the apartment. It grabbed this 2 inch cockroach and chomped into it. I and my friend just started laughing.

Last Edited:
A couple years ago I got a 3 of them in one of my pots.

After cooking and shelling with the Dungeness and Red Rock crab I also got, toss it all together and you don't even know it's in there.

Makes for good crab cakes, dip, etc.

Not saying your wrong because I don't know, but when the Japanese crabs first starting showing up everyone said not to eat them but I see people keeping them and I have given them away to people who asked for them. I finally tried one because sometimes that's all i catch off the docks and you know what they were not bad. Just harder to get the meat out of. But having grown up being told not to eat them I still get creeped out about eating so I just give them away.
They are perfectly fine too, but unless you are doing like a soup/stew or something they are a lot more work than dungeness. The flavor is excellent though. Very rich strong flavor and some of my kids prefer them, although I think a mix with dungeness is best. The flavor doesn't get overpowering.

For soup/stew the small are best. More for flavor and flaked crab tidbits. Otherwise I never keep them unless they are extreme size (for red rock that is) and they have enough body mass to make it worthwhile cracking. If all you're getting are the legs (about worthless) they are not really worth the effort to cook/clean/crack.

Tip: If you keep them don't put them in the same bucket/bin with your dungeness. They eat dungeness and you'll end up with a bunch of torn off dungeness legs in pur bucket. Seperated legs you don't get the same flavor as when they are cooked still attached and get all that nice body juice cooked in and have a tendancy to turn waterlogged and flavorless.

No one can tell I love my seafruits, right? 🤣

Last Edited:
OH! What I meant to say was....

Yeah. Red rock are for crap. Especially the bigger they get, but after they have been handled, the really big ones will die if you toss them back. Kinda cruel.... and even if they live they are an invasive species.

Just drop me a PM. We can dispose of them safely and humanely so their rotting shells don't stink up your trash bin.:s0155:

King crab & Lobster don't taste near as good as a Dungeness and I eat the body meat too, although it isn't as good as the leg meat.
I prefer dugeness too, but I like the body just as much... or rather... bit of that with a hunka leg together. The best to me is the body meat and a bit of redrock together. Good shtuff, that!

Larvae from one of these...

1681655784874.png

I say nay nay!

Who says this forum isn't educational! I was always told from a young age they were Japanese red crab and invasive to the West coast. They do propogate faster and will attack and eat dungeness.

I guess I should have put 2 and 2 together. Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing red rock in Japan's waters. 🤣

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top