JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems like something I'd like to get into.

Looking at a $40 Daiwa Beefstick. Other rod recommendations welcome.

Not yet decided on a reel, will go to Sportsmans later this weekend to look at some. Recommendations welcome.

I picked up a few custom snare rigs. Any tips or pointers there would be appreciated.

Line? 40-50#?

Figure it wouldn't hurt to throw a snare in whenever the family goes to the beach. Even if I don't get any crab, it's at least something I could do while the kid goes nuts in the sand!

Thanks!

Reno
Beefstick is great for snares from my experience. Its also cheap enough that you dont mind if it gets scuffed up.

Last Edited:
Go to wal mart and pick up a Penn WRATH combo for $78. It's a 10' 20-40 beast of a rod with a 8000 series reel. It's bright blue, you can't miss it. I can bomb a snare packed with chicken a long ways. You'll appreciate the beefiness when your reeling in 3 or 4 at a time. Oh and I fill the spool most the way with a somewhat heavy mono, leaving room for 100yds or so of 65lb braid.

8AE6A86A-693B-414A-9D03-A7296CD77BA0.jpeg 89FE8569-92A9-4274-9878-0AB73825C7A3.jpeg

Last Edited:
Go to wal mart and pick up a Penn WRATH combo for $78. It's a 10' 20-40 beast of a rod with a 8000 series reel. It's bright blue, you can't miss it. I can bomb a snare packed with chicken a long ways. You'll appreciate the beefiness when your reeling in 3 or 4 at a time. Oh and I fill the spool most the way with a somewhat heavy mono, leaving room for 100yds or so of 65lb braid.

View attachment 1170869 View attachment 1170900
Might as well pick this up too... best snare I've used and quite aerodynamic.

Zip tie the weight down, I had to cast my own after a trip out.

We used to go 'fishing' off the boat in Scotland with a G60 stun grenade on a 20 foot length of cord. We also tried it with a short length of det cord, but that was just too violent - stunning was good, but pre-shredding was not so good.

I guess that would be considered anti-social these days, right?

View attachment 1170869 View attachment 1170900
Looked for this at a couple of places. No luck. Ordered it off Penns website. Thanks for the recommendation. Look forward to getting going!

At 73 snaring is about the only option. When hauling up traps and rings bent over the water became a little to shaky, I started do it from my knees. When hauling from my knees became more difficult, snaring was the way to go.

When I was a kiddie in Florida my younger brother and I used to catch crabs by dangling a fish head tied on a line into the water under the pier where crabs loved to hang out. When a crab grabbed the fish head we would gently pull it up and get it with a fish landing net as it approached the surface of the water. Then we transferred crab to a bucket with water. Some crabs would hang onto the fish head so stubbornly they could be lifted gently out of the water and transferred to bucket without using the landing net. But most would drop off instead of letting themselves be lifted from the water. But with a landing net we could always get a bucket full of crabs long before we got bored. Nice big crabs. Many people cleaned their fish and dumped the heads and guts off the side of the pier for the crabs. So the crabs were well fed and used to people on the pier.

The grownups sometimes used traps baited with fish heads and dropped over the side of the pier. Just tied to pier with a length of rope. This allowed grownup to go off and do something else while crabs caught themselves. Something else that wasn't nearly so interesting or fun as catching crabs on a handline we figured.

Being that I commercial crabbed in my younger years I never had much interest in the recreational side of it. I'd have visitors from out of state come and I'd take them out on the Yaquina on my old bosses Boston Whaler and dump off a couple pots to soak and if the bar was ok I'd run them up to the light house. The few things I've missed about commercial crabbing is getting cockle clams in our beach gear and ling cod in our deeper sets. I could see in the right conditions where surf snaring could be more fruitful than bay soaking.

Last Edited:
I know what I'll be doing in a couple weeks when I'm out at the beach house. Thanks Reno for the thread and all the info from all who shared.
It's really a nice way to sit on the beach and enjoy the day! I was really skeptical at first, after the first two reeled in I was hooked.

It's really a nice way to sit on the beach and enjoy the day! I was really skeptical at first, after the first two reeled in I was hooked.
That, and I've got a 4 & 1 year old who get bored with fishing after about 5 minutes. Crab snaring looks like something I could throw out, then build a sand castle, then reel it back in much to the kids' enjoyment.

That, and I've got a 4 & 1 year old who get bored with fishing after about 5 minutes. Crab snaring looks like something I could throw out, then build a sand castle, then reel it back in much to the kids' enjoyment.
Exactly. I cast, set a timer for 15 minutes. Play on the sand or water with the kid. Time goes off talk it in, check for crab, do it again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top