JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The final product. The crab traveled to the Tri Cities as my wife was doing the cross Columbia swim.

20180908_183236.jpg 20180908_183245.jpg

Floated around Siletz Bay last Saturday, rowing an inflatable boat, between slack low and slack high.
3 traps, pulled in 9 keepers. Nice size, and about 3/4 full. Super sweet, some of the best crab I've had.
Going again next Sunday to my secret spot.
I'd be in for a group event...I have 5 traps, an old pickup, and about 50 years of experience.

Last Edited:
Heading down to Florence for the weekend and will look for some fresh dungeness to pick. Wish me luck.

I didn't get any fresh crabs to pick this weekend...however. We went to Sharks Seafood Bar and Steamer Co. in Newport, OR.

HOLY SMOKES!!!! It was excellent! I HIGHLY recommend this spot..opens at 4ish for dinner only. Can't wait to come back and slurp this stuff on a cold and wet winter day.
IMG_4814.jpg

I ordered a super bowl size of their Cioppino. It had loads of true Cod, bay shrimp, tiger prawns and Dungeness Crab in a flavorful and fantastic tomato broth and served with fresh sourdough for dipping.
20180909_170841.jpg

Mrs. Bisley ordered the Shrimp w/linguini in garlic cream sauce, which was also excellent. The rest of our party also thouroghly enjoyed their meals as well.
IMG_4816.jpg

Last Edited:
The Jetty Fishery and Kelly's Marine are 3 rings and a 14' boat starting at about $90 for the first two hours and like $50 for every hour after that.
Is there another rental out of wheeler? Last time I went the the Jetty Fishery, they told me I was too rough on the crabs (because i tossed them back instead of gently kissing them before swimming them back to the bottom)... Now I don't mind saying that if you like to boycott liberal owned companies, there is one for ya.
Kelly and family are GOOD people. I use to work with his brother, who is back in the area. Great place to go and enjoy yourself while pulling in crabs.

Yup. You can have em all. ;-) Practically no meat in em except the claws and am very much against the harvesting practices I've seen. Folks catching them, breaking off the claws then throwing them back in the water.

Me neither. That is... fresh caught, boiled up in shell, cleaned hot and immediately iced up. Chilled fresh Dungies in a little seasoned hot butter sauce with lemon and it just don't get any better.

Still going to be a couple months before they are filled up and sweet meated though. I'm sure they taste just fine about now, but nothing like what they will come January once they get that sweet red outer fat layer on.

A little redrock mixed in together for a little extra flavor doesn't hurt either.
I usually catch more red rocks then dungeness, they are easier to sort being all stay in my bucket!

Should this be this first Saturday in January or ??? Would be a nice time to get a few cabins or yurts at one of the state parks near by in case we need a second day to haul them all in.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F04%2Fmysterious-island-crab.jpg

Kelly and family are GOOD people. I use to work with his brother, who is back in the area. Great place to go and enjoy yourself while pulling in crabs.
You're right, I will recant my statement about silly business... :rolleyes:

I'm down for whenever, just give me some warning first.

Floated around Siletz Bay last Saturday, rowing an inflatable boat, between slack low and slack high.
3 traps, pulled in 9 keepers. Nice size, and about 3/4 full. Super sweet, some of the best crab I've had.
Going again next Sunday to my secret spot.
I'd be in for a group event...I have 5 traps, an old pickup, and about 50 years of experience.
I will be in Siletz area at the end of the month .
For a week .
Fishing on the Siletz and other places up and down the coast .

Got word that many crabs that are being tossed back are just under legal size...maybe next molt will produce some traps full of keepers. Who wants to go crabbing?

Went to Nehalem Bay again on Wednesday with the wife and we got our limit of 24. Crabs are definitely getting bigger. Might be able to take some people next weekend. Would be cool to have a few boats go down.

Got word that many crabs that are being tossed back are just under legal size...maybe next molt will produce some traps full of keepers. Who wants to go crabbing?

I do. Anytime!
Went last Sunday to my secret spot, didn't do too well..
3 guys, 4 rings and 5 traps. 3 hours produced only 15 keepers..
Nice ones though...
Saw more HUGE females than I've ever seen before..

Over 12 years ago the ODF decided that legal sized female crabs were not producing enough eggs in comparison to the smaller sized females, so they let us harvest them for 2 years. You could limit out in minutes.
Then, the overall crab population dropped off and they switched their tune and went back to no more females.

Nothing like dropping pots at 0 dark thirty and eating dinner like a king. Love me some crabbing,

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top