JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you ever had blue crabs from the Chesapeake Bay?

Yup. You can have em all. ;-) Practically no meat in em except the claws and am very much against the harvesting practices I've seen. Folks catching them, breaking off the claws then throwing them back in the water.

I've never met anyone who prefers the blue over dungenous. ;)

Me neither. That is... fresh caught, boiled up in shell, cleaned hot and immediately iced up. Chilled fresh Dungies in a little seasoned hot butter sauce with lemon and it just don't get any better.

Still going to be a couple months before they are filled up and sweet meated though. I'm sure they taste just fine about now, but nothing like what they will come January once they get that sweet red outer fat layer on.

A little redrock mixed in together for a little extra flavor doesn't hurt either.

Last Edited:
The one I got a few weeks ago was pretty tastey, and was getting close to filled out... you're right tho, the best time for crab is winter.

As far a red rock crab go, kill'em all!
(I'm pretty sure they are invasive)

Extremely!! They've been quite devestating to what our crab population used to be many years ago. Redrock will actually eat dungeness. Important tip... if you're keeping both species... keep them in seperate containers or the redrock will go to town pulling off the dungeness's legs.

They don't have much meat in them. The bodies are hardly worth cracking unless they are quite large. Even then the body meat is probably less than 1/3rd of what you will get out of a dungeness. Shell's are hard as rock, however, they DO eat quite well.

One of my kids actually prefer redrock to dungeness (mighta dropped that one on his head as an infant), but the rest of just like to mix a little in to spice it up a bit.

Extremely!! They've been quite devestating to what our crab population used to be many years ago. Redrock will actually eat dungeness. Important tip... if you're keeping both species... keep them in seperate containers or the redrock will go to town pulling off the dungeness's legs.

They don't have much meat in them. The bodies are hardly worth cracking unless they are quite large. Even then the body meat is probably less than 1/3rd of what you will get out of a dungeness. Shell's are hard as rock, however, they DO eat quite well.

One of my kids actually prefer redrock to dungeness (mighta dropped that one on his head as an infant), but the rest of just like to mix a little in to spice it up a bit.
Nah, that one just wants more attention... usually why they act up like that.

Thanks for the tip! I'll just bury them in the garden if they're small then. ;)

The one I got a few weeks ago was pretty tastey, and was getting close to filled out... you're right tho, the best time for crab is winter.

As far a red rock crab go, kill'em all!

ODFW Recreational Crab Fishing, red rock crab

They are actually native and part of the fossil record lol. Red rock crab are one of the reasons the invasive European green crab can't get a foothold in our estuary systems. Red rock are too mean and kill them before they can get established.

ODFW Recreational Crab Fishing, red rock crab

They are actually native and part of the fossil record.

Learn something new every day! Thanks for sharing. Guess I "learnt" it from the wrong people and being commonly called the Japanese redrock crab made it easy to assume they were correct... that they "were" invasive.

Still... they DO go to town on dungeness. I knowed it that there much first hand. ;)

Learn something new every day! Thanks for sharing. Guess I "learnt" it from the wrong people and being commonly called the Japanese redrock crab made it easy to assume they were correct... that they "were" invasive.

Still... they DO go to town on dungeness. I knowed it that there much first hand. ;)

Totally agree! They don't play well with anyone, even each other.

I love information like that! I suppose it is a good thing I have never caught one and been able to enact my misguided plans! ;)
Granted i do want to catch one just to try, I'm always interested in finding various species.
That's why I like crabbing, ya never know what will come up in your trap!
Last time I went crabbing I kep catching sculpin, a happy surprise I admit!

I'm always interested in finding various species.
That's why I like crabbing, ya never know what will come up in your trap.

So true! (This spider crab gave me the hebee gebees though)

FB_IMG_1536393097861.jpg

Last Edited:
Yup. You can have em all. ;-) Practically no meat in em except the claws and am very much against the harvesting practices I've seen. Folks catching them, breaking off the claws then throwing them back in the water.
You must be referring to Stone Crabs in FL or some other species. That isn't how Blue Crabs are harvested. We eat the entire crab, minus the devil (lungs) and entrails and they are absolutely FULL of meat, especially if you get heavy ones. If someone is wasting crabmeat at a pickin' party...people get pissed. I've actually seen people get cut off for not getting all the meat out of the crab, lol. I've had whale sized jimmies that are so heavy and full of meat, that you are full after 4-5 crabs and I can easily manhandle 12-16 crabs.

The claw and leg meat, while delicious, is actually the least desirable. Jumbo lump from the backfin is where it's at.

upload_2018-9-8_5-51-46.jpeg

upload_2018-9-8_5-53-46.jpeg

upload_2018-9-8_5-55-0.jpeg
^Mmmmmm jumbo lump

I guess "practically no meat" is relative to what you're used to. Where an average blue crab is... what... about 1/3lb with 4-6inch shells and you get 2-3oz of meat out of em?

An average dungeness is more in the 2-3lb range with 8-10inch shells and you get 1/2-3/4lb of meat out of em... roughly the equivelant of 4-6 blue crab. That's a "lot" of cracking.

When you're used to dungeness that's the main gripe about redrock. Unless they are really good sized it's sure a lot of work for a couple spoonfuls of meat. ;)

I guess "practically no meat" is relative to what you're used to. Where an average blue crab is... what... about 1/3lb with 4-6inch shells and you get 2-3oz of meat out of em?

An average dungeness is more in the 2-3lb range with 8-10inch shells and you get 1/2-3/4lb of meat out of em... roughly the equivelant of 4-6 blue crab. That's a "lot" of cracking.

When you're used to dungeness that's the main gripe about redrock. Unless they are really good sized it's sure a lot of work for a couple spoonfuls of meat. ;)
Spot on... It's all realative. Oh yeah, the blues are definitely smaller than dungeness. Whales are 5 1/2"+ and you get about 2-5 oz of meat. An experienced crab eater can work through a Blue in just a few minutes. We start young, I think I was picking my own at around age 5. You learn early on that if there are only 3 dozen on the table and you're a slow picker, you get less crabs. I can mow through them.

Heading down to Florence for the weekend and will look for some fresh dungeness to pick. Wish me luck.

A friend of mine has perfected the way to haul up crab rings without having the larger crabs scuttle out of the rings while the rope is being messed with.
He motors up to the buoy float from down current and instead of trying to pull up the rope while you motor over the top of the ring, he gets the helper to grab the buoy and he then throws the motor in reverse and revs it up going backward while the helper drags it to the surface.

A friend of mine has perfected the way to haul up crab rings without having the larger crabs scuttle out of the rings while the rope is being messed with.

At least the seals don't eat the belly out of them like they did to my salmon in the bay.

I was on a scuba adventure in the San Juan Islands... depth around 120' but I was cruising along at 50' just enjoying the scenery when one of these jumped off a ledge and floated by... he was about 3' wide with tiny little legs... startled me so bad that I had to take a seat and rest because I was over-breathing my $600 regulator (sucking air faster than it could provide).

lopholithodes_foraminatus_adult-will_duguid.jpg
Puget sound box crab

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews