JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't really been in the ocean, but one of my charters this year had their traps set up just south of Winchester Bay in about 75' of water.

A word of caution... a few years ago a crab pinched a lefty and now they are all infested with blue tumors. Highly toxic!!

If you like living on the edge... with a boat, Winchester Bay is highly productive. Dock crabbing... further North in Yaquina bay off the marina pier is generally okay if you pay attention to the tides. A boat there is still a better option, but if you have a boat... Winchester is your best bet.

Off the dock at Alsea Bay, right in front of the Salty Dog Tavern. Check the pots, head in for a beer or two, come back out, rinse and repeat. Works rain or shine.

Off the dock at Alsea Bay, right in front of the Salty Dog Tavern. Check the pots, head in for a beer or two, come back out, rinse and repeat. Works rain or shine.
Good way to loose a crab pot, though.

Family friends of mine we're out night crabbing off a pier last month. They took a bit of a break for some hot snacks and coffee.... where only gone 15 minutes or so and went back to find someone had cut all their lines. They were able to snag a couple of the floating lines and retrieve them, but ended up losing 3 of them.

We went over a week later with scuba gear to pull them up, but someone had been in before us and cleaned them out.

There is a market for selling retrieved rings and pots to local businesses/hotels who rent them out to tourists. In my high school days... that's how we used to fund our gas and air fills for dive trips... so I can't fault the practice, but cutting peoples lines is a whole different ballgame.

At the beach.

Actually, Charleston Harbor right against the south wall is OK, but I prefer to be further inland and closer to the north side. I think it's the Empire boat launch where I like to put in, then cross to the other side.

Good way to loose a crab pot, though.

Family friends of mine we're out night crabbing off a pier last month. They took a bit of a break for some hot snacks and coffee.... where only gone 15 minutes or so and went back to find someone had cut all their lines. They were able to snag a couple of the floating lines and retrieve them, but ended up losing 3 of them.

We went over a week later with scuba gear to pull them up, but someone had been in before us and cleaned them out.

There is a market for selling retrieved rings and pots to local businesses/hotels who rent them out to tourists. In my high school days... that's how we used to fund our gas and air fills for dive trips... so I can't fault the practice, but cutting peoples lines is a whole different ballgame.
I'd have no problem using a thief as bait, heck I don't even eat seafood but enjoy catching it. So, the thief would probably be more of a crab meal than bait to catch a crab.

This is easier and cheaper:

1703488648975.png

At the beach.

Actually, Charleston Harbor right against the south wall is OK, but I prefer to be further inland and closer to the north side. I think it's the Empire boat launch where I like to put in, then cross to the other side.
And using chicken for bait seems to work as well as anything.

I have successfully crabbed most afternoons at my neighbors house for many years.
He runs a charter boat out of Garibaldi and always offers me fresh crab and fish.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top