JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
why is a prosecutor allowed to press charges before all the evidence is collected?
How does the DA know when all evidence is collected? The article makes it sound like the cellphone video was a surprise no one knew about.

From what I've been able to see and read so far, this seems like a case of a person who was getting assaulted (with disparity of force likely an issue), who was trying to defend herself but didn't follow all the rules (laws). Evil people in the restaurant were coaxing it along (they should go to jail, and hell likely but not my call on either) and she was scared and betting tired of living in fear within the beautiful hamlet of Chicago, Sarc/off.

The DA's office is perhaps beginning to realize that they are not going to find 12 people to sit in a jury box and think she and her son need to go to jail due to the failure of leadership in the city since forever.

Unfortunately, we can not rely on this happening to all of us.

Now Chicago has one less dirtbag to deal with. Good to see she's taking responsibility for her own safety, more Americans should.

Criminals should fear for their life each and every time they engage in the commission of a crime. Period.

How does the DA know when all evidence is collected? The article makes it sound like the cellphone video was a surprise no one knew about.
I would like to think because its part of their job... isnt there some limit on giving time to investigate things? The story seemed quick to charge is all, even we chatter here about waiting for more info before judging discussions.

I would like to think because its part of their job... isnt there some limit on giving time to investigate things? The story seemed quick to charge is all, even we chatter here about waiting for more info before judging discussions.
Keep in mind that if you don't want murderers on the street, you have to charge them to put them in jail. Every time a murderer isn't arrested immediately everyone is upset about that.

Pick one.

Keep in mind that if you don't want murderers on the street, you have to charge them to put them in jail. Every time a murderer isn't arrested immediately everyone is upset about that.

Pick one.
You do? Always?
I dont know how the whole thing works, but there are people who shoot others in defense that dont even get arrested... technically they just "murdered" someone too.

Hard to tell anymore with the worthless news media. My "guess" is they did not know there was video like this. The DA wanted to charge them but after seeing what that animal did to her he figured he would be laughed out of court taking that to a jury.

The DA wanted to charge them but after seeing what that animal did to her he figured he would be laughed out of court taking that to a jury.
Yep, anyone stupid enough to think that just because he wasn't armed, her life wasn't in danger! One good blow to the temple and she would had her lights out instead of him. From that video, I'd say son possibly saved moms life.

Anyone else disgusted that there is no atta-boy to the kid for saving his mom's life?? Only this, "Based upon the facts, evidence, and the law we are unable to meet our burden of proof in the prosecution of these cases." Makes it sound like they're still guilty, we just can't figure out how to prosecute them. The kid's a phuqing hero and they should have a city holiday and a parade for him FFS.

You do? Always?
I dont know how the whole thing works, but there are people who shoot others in defense that dont even get arrested... technically they just "murdered" someone too.
I do what?

I was just saying you can be patient with investigations or impatient with killers walking around. The DA must have thought getting them off the street was important. Then a new video surfaced.

I do what?

I was just saying you can be patient with investigations or impatient with killers walking around. The DA must have thought getting them off the street was important. Then a new video surfaced.
"you do" ie: always have to charge someone to put them in jail?
A murderer doesn't need charges to put them in jail. People get arrested all the time without enough evidence to charge them. Typically in most cases if you lawfully shoot someone in self defense you get arrested, and can stay in jail for longer than needed as the investigation unfolds. Likewise someone who murders someone can be held in jail without being charged. And then there are cases where someone is charged with a crime and is allowed to walk until trial. Again I don't know how all this works, but those are my observations. My guess is being charged and being put in jail are two different things.

The point here is it appears as if prosecutors are too quick to press charges in lawful self defense cases and I suspect there is a political bias behind that.

Keep it civil but, for arguments sake, lets say the mother and son were white. I fear this would have had a different outcome. For example, Hood had time to text her son and have him bring in her firearm. Why didn't she just step out and let the heat cool down? If she had a fear that she would need her firearm, wouldn't a call to 911 be prudent? These are questions that would have arisen if she had been white I bet ya!

The first shot was 'probably' good as the kid was protecting his mother who was being beaten. However, after the assailant ran away the mother yelled to her son to kill him and the kid shot him three more times in the back as he was running away. The kid killed him after the threat had ended.
If I had done this in Portland, they would hang me.

"you do" ie: always have to charge someone to put them in jail?
A murderer doesn't need charges to put them in jail. People get arrested all the time without enough evidence to charge them. Typically in most cases if you lawfully shoot someone in self defense you get arrested, and can stay in jail for longer than needed as the investigation unfolds. Likewise someone who murders someone can be held in jail without being charged. And then there are cases where someone is charged with a crime and is allowed to walk until trial. Again I don't know how all this works, but those are my observations. My guess is being charged and being put in jail are two different things.

The point here is it appears as if prosecutors are too quick to press charges in lawful self defense cases and I suspect there is a political bias behind that.
Police can hold people without charges for days at most.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews