JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Surplus guns are another story altogether. I bought so many cheap ones back in the day, wish I'd bought more. I remember the $75 SKSs of the late '90s, and 25 years ago I was buying Turk Mausers and Mosin-Nagants for $50 each. Not a lot of people seemed interested in them because they were cheap.

I have an East German Makarov that I paid &125 for, and an Underwood M1 carbine that I got for about the same price. $100 Tokarevs, Makarovs, and Nagant revolvers were plentiful. Even adjusted for inflation that's a bargain.

Unfortunately the days of cheap surplus appear to be gone forever. :(
I thought the same thing. $100 SKS's isn't really the same as "cheap guns that work".

I grew up in a house with mostly expensive firearms, many of which are collector grade. So, I had kind of a different perspective as to what "cheap" was. I remember when the Tikka T3 came out and I knew, just by looking at it, that I'd never slum one on a bet! It has a PLASTIC trigger guard! Same thing with Glock or any other polymer framed gun.

But, when I went to work and got issued such guns and didn't have a choice, their function won me over.

I still replace my Tikka trigger guards with metal ones.

I really miss inexpensive garbage rods, AKA Mosin Nagants. I still have a fond memory of one Black Friday years ago. Got up early and went to Big 5. They had a sale for them at $89 or $99 a rifle. It might have been less, I can't really remember anymore. I bought all of them that they had. Had to stand there while the BGC was processing and poker face all the other people that came in after looking to buy one. The following year they were up to $150 or something and they had a 1 rifle limit! Lol!

I remember one Christmas sale at Big 5, it must have been 2000 or 2001, I bought two Mosins. The total for both rifles, complete with background check, was $100. I don't know why I only bought two.

I bought all kinds of good stuff at Big 5 around that time. I still have my pristine M48, complete with bayonet and the whole kit. I think I paid $150 for it?

I did talk a friend out of buying a $50 Turk Mauser back then. He wanted a hunting rifle and was asking me about them. He wasn't a hunter or even a gun guy in general, just a newlywed and his wife's family were all huge hunters. He started asking about getting one drilled and tapped for a scope, recoil pad, lightened and barrel shortened, etc..

I finally stopped him and said you don't want one of these; what you want is a modern hunting rifle. The in-laws were all into Remingtons, so he found a nice, used Model 700 30-06 for $300, and was set for life.

I have 2 single shot Stevens that I think I paid $150/each for from @LuckySG. Both work well for their intended purpose.

I hate to even admit I'm considering a Taurus TX22. But I've read enough good reviews that it's on my list. I will, however, have the slide refinished in something a little thicker than the "bluing" they apply at the factory. I've looked at two so far, brand new in the case and they both had several "shiny" type scratches on them. Whatever Taurus finishes them in looks barely better than spray paint. Easy enough to address though.
I'm really liking mine so far.
IMG_0041.jpg

Now to just get some @LuckySG cerakote work done in something wacky.

Haha I already put in a text to Jeremy for one. Yep, I'm gonna own a Taurus. Damn it. :D
Let me know if you end up needing mags. I didn't realize when I bought it that the 10 rounders become 16 by just removing a pin, so I'm sitting on 6 mags total - 4 with +5 extensions and 2 factory 16 rounders. I don't really need those extra 2, just haven't found the motivation to list them for sale.

Let me know if you end up needing mags. I didn't realize when I bought it that the 10 rounders become 16 by just removing a pin, so I'm sitting on 6 mags total - 4 with +5 extensions and 2 factory 16 rounders. I don't really need those extra 2, just haven't found the motivation to list them for sale.
Interested:)

For those that commented about how reliable Hi-Points are, try google or YouTube for LOTS of failures.
Meh
With minimal effort I can find You Tubes about how lousy the 1911 is or how Glocks always go kaboom and so on.
I think Demolition Ranch videos will show how tough and reliable Hi-Points can be
I can only attest that my Hi Points work.

Meh
With minimal effort I can find You Tubes about how lousy the 1911 is or how Glocks always go kaboom and so on.
I think Demolition Ranch videos will show how tough and reliable Hi-Points can be
I have to say I have no intention of buying one but, I have watched a number of video's where people tried to break one and had one hell of a time doing so. Butt ugly damn guns but for the price if it was all I could afford? Beat hell out of nothing.

Meh
I'm glad they work for you.

Out of seven separate brands of firearms six are name brand but for a shotgun I chose the hatsan 12 gauge $189.
I just wanted one that worked and it has not disappointed.

I closed my shop in '89 & was buying crates of SKSs for $69 new, ammo $69/1000,, The 213 9mm Tokarev copy $69 new. The chinese were smart as they sent all used ones over & we loved them then they sent new ones covered in cosmoline so you got just as nasty cleaning 12 as 1. I sold 6-800 gund a year open evenings & weekends. I miss the trades as I ask the customer what would be fair & usually it was.

A couple come to mind:

• Taurus 605 in .357 Magnum. (Acquired 2005.)
  • Keltec P32 in .32 ACP. (Acquired 2006.)
Now, there is literally no way I'd ever buy another firearm from either of the manufacturers, albeit for different reasons. And their product lines are viewed with suspicion for good reason. Both were cheap and at least one of those two, the Keltec, is ugly as sin. All that said: they run, I've put countless rounds through both with nary a hiccup. The trigger on the 605 is surprisingly good considering all the factors that should have culminated in garbage. Got to give credit where credit is due and I cannot deny those two specimens do work as they should and have done so for years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top