JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have read that green lasers become iffy in hot weather. Red is hard to see in daylight unless you are very close. Meh. Plusses and minuses on both sides. Like my laser for low light use.

Bought the Ruger LC9, but ordered one with a slide safety. It just felt better to me than the Glock 43. Being a 1911 guy it just bugged the heck out of me to always be looking for a non-existent thumb lever every time I picked up the LC9, so instead of taking the one they had in stock I'm waiting for the one with the safety to be shipped.

I put the LC9 into a Fobus KTP11 OWB paddle holster, clipped it over my belt and immediately fell in love. The holster has a very positive retention system that protects the trigger, but is very easy to release. The bottom of the holster rides about 1" below the bottom edge of my belt, so a sweatshirt or untucked T-shirt covers just fine. It's so comfortable that I wore it all day the first day just because I could. I have not put many rounds through the LC9, but so far I'm VERY happy with it. Accuracy is good and it's comfortable to shoot. Pretty much everything I was looking for.

"Colt O6891 Mustang Series 6+1 380ACP"

I had the old Colt Mustang. I found too many times the magazine dropping out of the grip (carry guns should have a heel latch in my opinion) and then the accuracy dropped seriously off for some reason, so I got rid of it.

The older I get, the less I like weight. Maybe it's the flat butt syndrome. My Walther PPQ is now feeling heavy so maybe I will look at a .380 even though it is a worthless caliber. Nobody wants to be shot though, even with a .380. The utility in carrying is primarily in having a gun, no matter what gun it is. Most encounters with goblins end with the goblin running off when you haul a gun out.

I have a KelTec P11 that I decided was unusable because the trigger pull was sooo long. Somehow a long pistol trigger pull is not near as good as a long revolver trigger pull, not sure why. I know DAO is the way little guns are made, but I want one that is shootable.

This is the gun I really want to carry, but a bit spendy, heh:

Didn't read through all the thread but if you're comfortable with the trigger and controls
Of the 1911 and don't like polymer guns id say sig 238 in 380 or the 938 in 9mm. It what I carry and it's accurate comfortable small and has factory night sights

I own several handguns but I mostly carry a Colt Mustang (.380) or a snub S&W. I was shooting in the low 290's until a few years ago and using a .380 does not bother me. I will kill what I shoot at! The Colt Mustang is the only SA pistol which I have owned that goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Last Edited:
Just bought the Walther CCP. Put a hundred rounds through it the day I bought it and do not regret it a bit.

In "RECOIL Presents CONCEALMENT" ISSUE 2
The article "Risky Business" completely covers the Walther CCP
it lives up to it's claims:
1) Easy slide manipulation
2) Great accuracy
3) Great reliability
4) Great price
>>>>>>>>>>> BUT <<<<<<<<<<
It has issues:
1) after 4+ mags it starts heating up too much
2) the striker-safety system has a dangerous flaw
if you "short-stroke" it, run the slide back just 98%:
a) a fresh round can be chambered ;)
b) that's not far enough to reset the striker: :confused:
pulling the trigger will not fire the round;
on Springfield XD, Glock, S&W M&P, etc.
pulling the slide back just a few mm will
reset their strikers and their important
STRIKER-SAFETY SYSTEMS!!! :eek: Unlike the CCP! :(:mad:
c) now dropping this gun with a round chambered
can cause an AD (Accidental not Negligent since
you didn't design the flawed safety system). :oops::eek:

These authors found this out when a 14 year old girl short stroked the slide and gun didn't fire... such a instance easily happens when under stress (someone's attacking); failing to fire you drop the gun when attacked (Murphy's Law) just to have it AD and maybe kill you. :eek::mad: They notified Walther of this issue: Yes it exists and sales is trying to get engineering to fix it. Maybe but likely not in time to prevent your AD. :rolleyes:

The XD, Glock and M&P are premier COMBAT PISTOLS, made to a higher military standard so intentionally they work all the time and never AD consistently as the CCP does.

:( LOL

Last Edited:
2) Great accuracy
3) Great reliability
4) Great price
It has issues:
if you "short-stroke" it, run the slide back just
98%:

These authors found this out when a 14 year old girl
short stroked the slide and gun didn't fire... such a
instance easily happens when under stress (someone's
attacking); failing to fire you drop the gun when attacked
(Murphy's Law) just to have it AD and maybe kill you. :eek::mad:
They notified Walther of this issue: Yes it exists and sales
is trying to get engineering to fix it. Maybe but likely
not in time to prevent your AD. :rolleyes:

The XD, Glock and M&P are premier COMBAT PISTOLS,
made to a higher military standard so intentionally they work
all the time and never AD consistently as the CCP does.

When in a self defense situation would you use more than 4 magazines?

2) Great accuracy
3) Great reliability
4) Great price
It has issues:
if you "short-stroke" it, run the slide back just
98%:

These authors found this out when a 14 year old girl
short stroked the slide and gun didn't fire... such a
instance easily happens when under stress (someone's
attacking); failing to fire you drop the gun when attacked
(Murphy's Law) just to have it AD and maybe kill you. :eek::mad:
They notified Walther of this issue: Yes it exists and sales
is trying to get engineering to fix it. Maybe but likely
not in time to prevent your AD. :rolleyes:

The XD, Glock and M&P are premier COMBAT PISTOLS,
made to a higher military standard so intentionally they work
all the time and never AD consistently as the CCP does.

I tried to find the article, but I would have to subscribe to the mag. Can you provide the link? As I said, I fired 100 rounds through the pistol in pretty short order. I would like to see what they determined to be "too hot" with 4+ mags. It never got hot enough that I couldn't manipulate the slide.

Now to the striker safety system. The way you described it, short stroking will not allow the striker to reset. In laymans terms, to me, that means the pistol isn't cocked. If it isn't cocked, the safety reset is rather a moot point. How many times did the authors actually force an accidental discharge in this scenario? Or was this theoretical supposition? I am just reading your last statement "never accidentally discharges as consistently as the CCP does". On the one hand, we are led to believe that the other pistols NEVER accidentally discharge. Then it states "as consistently", which would lead me to believe that they CAN AD, but not as much as the CCP. Link to the article please. I need clarification.

Last Edited:
I bought this magazine locally at either Fred Myers, WinCo or Walmart.

The authors short-stroked the CCP with brass and just a primer and after some experiments, dropping on it's butt the CCP ALWAYS ADed. Since it's Striker-Safety system was not engaged without a 100% full stroke. Contacting Walther these authors confirmed the issue. I did not discover this; I'm just reporting other's discoveries.

They dropped the gun 60 times and about 10 times, on it's butt, it set off the primer. Once they learned of the exact "sweet spot" it would discharge even on a carpet every time.

The US Military and Police went to great lengths to insist on pistols with safety systems preventing an AD when dropped, it appears the CCP does not, when short-stroked.

Reminiscent of the Remington R1, the great Walther name and chance kept this issue from being publicized earlier. I hope someone somewhere is grateful to hear of it from me before they are surprised by an AD handling the CCP.

LOL

Last Edited:
That is some good information, and I thank you! In some ways they are comparing apples to oranges, though. I do not see a pistol such as the CCP becoming a military issue firearm. They tend to stick to the full sized handguns. I need to buy that magazine just for the article and read it further. I will be in contact with Walther customer service as well. It sounds like this should warrant a recall. I have a bunch of sized and primed 9mm brass, I think I will see what my pistol does when dropped. Sounds like a fun experiment now that I've spent the money! Lets keep in mind that no matter how well made and safe a firearm is, there are more highly evolved idiots out there that can somehow override any safety feature in the most bizarre ways.

Being a 1911 guy it just bugged the heck out of me to always be looking for a non-existent thumb lever every time I picked up the LC9, so instead of taking the one they had in stock I'm waiting for the one with the safety to be shipped.

This is the reason the safety on my S&W Shield doesn't bother me a bit.

That is some good information, and I thank you! In some ways they are comparing apples to oranges, though. I do not see a pistol such as the CCP becoming a military issue firearm. They tend to stick to the full sized handguns. I need to buy that magazine just for the article and read it further. I will be in contact with Walther customer service as well. It sounds like this should warrant a recall. I have a bunch of sized and primed 9mm brass, I think I will see what my pistol does when dropped. Sounds like a fun experiment now that I've spent the money! Lets keep in mind that no matter how well made and safe a firearm is, there are more highly evolved idiots out there that can somehow override any safety feature in the most bizarre ways.

The mag was $8.99, BUT if you send me your email I can scan that whole article and send you the scans to read
( s w p o s t 1 @ y a h o o . c o m);

LOL,
Stan :cool:

The mag was $8.99, BUT if you send me your email I can scan that whole article and send you the scans to read
( s w p o s t 1 @ y a h o o . c o m);

LOL,
Stan :cool:
That's ok. I'll just get my experiment together. The write up I read was in the Truth About Guns blog, and they had nothing but praise for the pistol with the exception of the trigger. Of course, they didn't drop check the gun. I can load some primed cases and do a drop check easy enough.
Thanks for the offer though!

That's ok. I'll just get my experiment together. The write up I read was in the Truth About Guns blog, and they had nothing but praise for the pistol with the exception of the trigger. Of course, they didn't drop check the gun. I can load some primed cases and do a drop check easy enough.
Thanks for the offer though!

"Reminiscent of the Remington R1, the great Walther name and chance kept this issue from being publicized earlier."

Most magazines only report POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES about any firearm they are given to "evaluate". Considering most magazines gave the Remington R1 GREAT PRAISE for it's "revolutionary" attributes (attributes very similar to the CCP) but only a bitter few publicized the gross quality-control :confused: issues which doomed that product :oops:; ps - where's the R1 now? Just a footnote in history and bitter disappointment for former and current owners since reportedly Remington never replaced their defective products as they promised :mad:.

HOWEVER I expect Walther, not having been bought out by a money-hungry conglomerate like Remington was, to stand by their product and fix it. Everyone expects that from a top World-Class firearms manufacture like Walther is :cool:. I, no everyone, expects a recall since even Walther admits the issue exists... once that's done I plan buy the upgraded CCP for those unique handling attributes (those first 4 items in my original post). Also I hope they bring out a double-stack version to directly replace my 13-shot XD Sub-Compact 9.

My offer to send you those scans still stands, just send me your email address and I'll scan in and forward that article (however expect it in pieces since the magazine is in extra-large size requiring several scans per page). It's from pages 42 thru 48, 7 pages altogether.

LOL :)

Last Edited:
"Reminiscent of the Remington R1, the great Walther name and chance kept this issue from being publicized earlier."

Most magazines only report POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES about any firearm they are given to "evaluate". Considering most magazines gave the Remington R1 GREAT PRAISE for it's "revolutionary" attributes (attributes very similar to the CCP) but only a bitter few publicized the gross quality-control :confused: issues which doomed that product :oops:; ps - where's the R1 now? Just a footnote in history and bitter disappointment for former and current owners since reportedly Remington never replaced their defective products as they promised :mad:.

HOWEVER I expect Walther, not having been bought out by a money-hungry conglomerate like Remington was, to stand by their product and fix it. Everyone expects that from a top World-Class firearms manufacture like Walther is :cool:. I, no everyone, expects a recall since even Walther admits the issue exists... once that's done I plan buy the upgraded CCP for those unique handling attributes (those first 4 items in my original post). Also I hope they bring out a double-stack version to directly replace my 13-shot XD Sub-Compact 9.

My offer to send you those scans still stands, just send me your email address and I'll scan in and forward that article (however expect it in pieces since the magazine is in extra-large size requiring several scans per page). It's from pages 42 thru 48, 7 pages altogether.

LOL :)
I just completed my little drop test with the CCP. I chambered one sized Winchester case primed with a Federal small pistol primer. I am six feet two inches, and I held the pistol out at arms length approximately five feet off the floor. I dropped the pistol about twenty five times each on three different materials. One was a 1/8th inch thick neoprene workout mat. One was an area rug about 3/8 inch thick, and the other was an oak plank. I didn't want to damage my new floor tiles in the house, and I also stopped at the cement floor in the garage. No sense in really damaging a new pistol. The pistol did kind of tear up my workout mat, so it's off to WalMart to get a new one.
I dropped the pistol in just about every orientation possible, from muzzle down to butt down and all points in between. After every few drops I removed the cartridge to see if the firing pin was making any contact with the primer. Not even a stipple on the primer. One time whilst dropping on the oak plank, the slide did move back about an inch and I had to rechamber the case.
At the end of the drop test, I did pull the trigger, and the primer went bang. The entire test was done with the safety in the off position.
This is not to debunk this article in the magazine. I am sure these fellows had some issues with the particular pistol they tested. However, pistols being what they are (mechanical devices) it is entirely possible that that particular pistol had some issues, and it may not be a rampant problem with every CCP pistol manufactured. It is easy to get to that conclusion as just about everything is mass produced with the aid of CNC machinery. If one thing jumps the track, there can be an entire lot of goods manufactured that have the same defect. It looks as though my particular product doesn't fall into that category.
I am not a prideful man. I have been shooting since I was in the single digits (62 now). Started hunting with my Dad at 12 and got my first reloading outfit at 14. I have bought and sold I don't know how many guns, new and used, and I have had my share of junk. Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder how I backed into some of these deals. Anyway, you got me to do a fun test! Thanks for the information! So many gun related periodicals out there these days it's impossible to keep up!

Regards,
Bill

I just completed my little drop test with the CCP. I chambered one sized Winchester case primed with a Federal small pistol primer. I am six feet two inches, and I held the pistol out at arms length approximately five feet off the floor. I dropped the pistol about twenty five times each on three different materials. One was a 1/8th inch thick neoprene workout mat. One was an area rug about 3/8 inch thick, and the other was an oak plank. I didn't want to damage my new floor tiles in the house, and I also stopped at the cement floor in the garage. No sense in really damaging a new pistol. The pistol did kind of tear up my workout mat, so it's off to WalMart to get a new one.
I dropped the pistol in just about every orientation possible, from muzzle down to butt down and all points in between. After every few drops I removed the cartridge to see if the firing pin was making any contact with the primer. Not even a stipple on the primer. One time whilst dropping on the oak plank, the slide did move back about an inch and I had to rechamber the case.
At the end of the drop test, I did pull the trigger, and the primer went bang. The entire test was done with the safety in the off position.
This is not to debunk this article in the magazine. I am sure these fellows had some issues with the particular pistol they tested. However, pistols being what they are (mechanical devices) it is entirely possible that that particular pistol had some issues, and it may not be a rampant problem with every CCP pistol manufactured. It is easy to get to that conclusion as just about everything is mass produced with the aid of CNC machinery. If one thing jumps the track, there can be an entire lot of goods manufactured that have the same defect. It looks as though my particular product doesn't fall into that category.
I am not a prideful man. I have been shooting since I was in the single digits (62 now). Started hunting with my Dad at 12 and got my first reloading outfit at 14. I have bought and sold I don't know how many guns, new and used, and I have had my share of junk. Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder how I backed into some of these deals. Anyway, you got me to do a fun test! Thanks for the information! So many gun related periodicals out there these days it's impossible to keep up!

Regards,
Bill

For science!!

It always amazes me when a persons opinions and preferences are condemned and discounted by some people who have a different opinion and state it like fact.:confused: I think it's classless to belittle someone for their opinion, but who am I?
Anyway...
My favorite carry gun is a Commander sized, all steel 1911 in an IWB Galco holster, or a belt slide with a thumb break when I head out to the woods. A good belt is important, especially with a heavier gun.
For the times a smaller gun is easier to hide, a S&W Shield fits the bill.
These are my choices.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads