JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning to get a lot more serious about using my Oregon CHL. Currently I have a full size stainless 1911, a Colt 1903 in .32, and a .357 Mag revolver with a 4" barrel. The only one that's easy to carry is the Colt and it's too valuable to carry daily. So I'm looking for a serious concealed carry weapon. I'm leaning toward a Glock 43, despite the fact that I hate polymer firearms. I'm thinking a light, compact, double stack 9mm. Price isn't really a consideration. Any suggestions I haven't thought about?

Seconded on the Glock 19. It isn't much harder to conceal and comes with a nice magazine capacity and decent accuracy. My M&P Shield or Glock 26 work very well when wearing something that doesn't work with the 19. I can't say anything about the 43, but the 42 I had wasn't a great shooter for me. Some friends with smaller hands could control easier, it but with my larger mitts...

Edited: The above 3 all work very well with an IWB holster for me.

Last Edited:
Im no firearms trainer but, i do carry everyday. i have been carrying concealed for over three years now. Not knowing you or your firearms background i would image to seek the best advice would be to consider answering a couple questions... if you are comfortable answering is up to you. a private message is an option too.

What is your experience with handguns?

What is your body type?

where are you most comfortable carrying a side arm?

do you prefer inside or outside waist band carry?

would you consider a glock 43 size pistol extremely small or is it do-able?

like i said im no expert but maybe answering a few questions like this or similar may give us a good starting point for some advice! Good luck!

In Oregon, I carried a Glock 26 on my ankle at work for deep carry. During non-business hours, I carried a government 1911. I'm 5'8 and 165#s.

Glock 43 or 26. For me now.

But I had to learn a few things.

OK. I carried guns too heavy for caliber. From a .380 to .45?
I carried guns too nice to get a scratch. And way [not defiantly:D] to nice to have confiscated if used.
I did try other polymer guns. But did not trust there reliability.
I think the problem was I went too small.

I did not start out liking Glocks.
I evolved to see there use as a tool. That's all.

It's also nice that almost anyone can fix most small broken or worn Glock parts in five minutes for $25.;)

Last Edited:
Hating Polymer Guns is going to be like hating smart phones pretty soon. Aesthetically speaking, they are not as beautiful as a 1911 or Walther, but they are lighter, easier to conceal, and function with modern ammunition every time you press the Boom Switch.

Technology marches on, and it is a proven system. So even as much as I was against them when the Gen 1 came out (because they looked "funny"), they work every time; which is what we ask of our firearms.

I carry a G19 every day. I am 5'8" 195# and can conceal it IWB with a T-shirt with 1 extra mag. The G43 is even more "deep cover" for the possible NPE that a lot of employers are nowadays.

G26 is thicker, but can be easily concealed as well.

I'll give a +1 to the Glock 19, though my preferred carry gun, and has been for 3 years running now, is the M&P9c. 12+1 in a nice compact package. I easily forget it's on my hip. It's accurate and reliable - over 1,000 rounds to date on this gun and not a single failure from cheap FMJ up to defensive HP loads.

SCCY. Model CPX-2 (-1 is the same thing with a safety).

American made.

Lifetime no questions warranty.

Mine has had one stovepipe in the 800 rounds I've fired (plus 400 flawless rounds claimed by the previous owner).

Stainless slide and barrel, polymer lower.

Nice DA trigger.

New they run $250 out the door...

Can't beat it price wise and it's been reliable to the point that I trust mine and have heard others with similar opinions on the quality and reliability.

H&K P30 or the Sig p320

*since your a 1911 guy the HK can be had with an external safety and carried cocked and locked, (or hammer down if you choose)

*the new sig is a modular design..... its the action that is seeialized, not the frame. What this means is anytime you can swap the compact grip for a fullsize, same for the slide and barrel where you can also swap calibers....

I'm thinkin of getting the Colt O6891 Mustang Series 6+1 380ACP. I know nothing about em but its so cute if I don't use it for carry I might mount it in a picture frame and hang on the wall to look at.

If u dont want polymer but want compact double stack and reliable - a cz 75 compact would work. Or go single stack and get a smith model 39. FM hi power detective model gived you single action cockef n locked witj 13+1 capacity. Or a sig 228/229.

I'm planning to get a lot more serious about using my Oregon CHL. Currently I have a full size stainless 1911, a Colt 1903 in .32, and a .357 Mag revolver with a 4" barrel. The only one that's easy to carry is the Colt and it's too valuable to carry daily. So I'm looking for a serious concealed carry weapon. I'm leaning toward a Glock 43, despite the fact that I hate polymer firearms. I'm thinking a light, compact, double stack 9mm. Price isn't really a consideration. Any suggestions I haven't thought about?

These are all carried easily every day by thousands of people.

So, what makes them not so easy to carry?
( I get the Colt is too valuable, point ).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top