JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the process of getting my CHL, just waiting for fingerprinting (3 months for an appointment lmao) When I start carrying, I'd like to have less lethal options available as well. In addition to Multnomah County being kinda soft on defending yourself, I'd ideally like to not take a life if it can be helped.
I was considering a taser (the kind what actually shoots out barbs) and probably some kind of pepper spray. I considered a collapsible baton, but I'd rather not get that close to someone trying to assault me, though I guess you never know, it could be useful.
Of course I'll still be carrying an actual firearm tucked away safely, but I'd like to have options. If not to avoid having to use lethal force on someone if possible, to at least avoid having my gun taken away while the authorities investigate.

Get a, 29" inch, Peacekeeper collapsible, with solid steel end-rod.... it be the best 175-$ you ever spent .

-
1693202234188.jpeg
-

Pulling you pistol should always be the absolute last choice. Talk your way out, run, fight back with anything and everything , stay out of the bad spots all are much better choices. Some people think a CC firearm is a magic talisman to ward off evil but it's not. It's just a tool to be used in the gravest extreme.
This is my philosophy. I'm not looking for someone to "make my day" as I find that to be disturbing behavior exhibited by people who probably shouldn't be carrying.
I'm just looking to make it home every day.

I feel like it would take a lot more consideration for "am I justified in ending this person" than it would for deploying less lethal deterrents or defenses. Mostly because the laws here basically let you use your non lethal force in a much wider range of scenarios.
If some dude is just getting up in my face or hitting my vehicle or something but not necessarily threatening my life, I'm not just gonna sit there but I'm also not just gonna pull the strap out.
But as others have pointed out, you never know if they're carrying or not either so it's all just a crapshoot.

Ultimately I just live by the old saying "best to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Get a, 29" inch, Peacekeeper collapsible, with solid steel end-rod.... it be the best 175-$ you ever spent .

-
View attachment 1477694
-
Problem is, canes with club ends aren't legal on planes. And collapsed and tucked in that pouch, you can't tell what it is. So I think it would be illegal to carry concealed in Oregon.

I carry a cane because I need one to get around at this point. Mine is a hickory Kingsbury Tahoe walking cane from Cane Masters. good for walking or SD. And legal everywhere including on airplanes.

OC is very hit and miss but, can't hurt to have it if you don't have a gun. The Batons if you are going to get one get a good one. Like Asp. I have seen many of the cheap ones break just while people are practicing them on a heavy bag. If you buy a baton make sure you practice with it. Byrna OC guns are nice but, they are larger than many guns and they are pricey.

When I start carrying, I'd like to have less lethal options available as well.
Why wait? You can carry OC now. I train folks that it is highly advisable to have a non-lethal option that you can deploy at a distance. STREAM OC spray works for this. I personally avoid the fog or gel stuff. It would behoove folks who carry a defensive firearm to carry OC. Not every problem is a nail for the hammer (gun) we are carrying. If we end up using impact weapons or go hands on things have gone really bad; this is too close. Plus, concealed batons are not legal in Oregon.
Yet so many "gun owners" think you should be able to draw your pistol at any point in time, for any situation.

Like a gun is the perfect tool for every scenario….
Agree, and OC provides another level when it is not a gun problem.
If some dude is just getting up in my face or hitting my vehicle or something but not necessarily threatening my life, I'm not just gonna sit there but I'm also not just gonna pull the strap out.
Keep in mind that our actions must be justified. I say this because, "getting up in my face" is not specifically found as a justification in the ORS for use of force. Property crimes also have much more strict limits on the use of force than defending a person. I get the whole, "I'm not gonna sit there," but remember de-escalation, avoidance and escape are the goals in these situations. I'm NOT saying it is right in a moral sense but there are tactical and legal considerations that mire the decision process.

Good luck with your quest!

I carry pepper spray in my car and my 18yo daughter also carries pepper spray on her key chain as well as a contact taser... which probably hasn't been charged in 2 years. I forget what it is exactly but we got the gel pepper spray that is supposed to be less likely to blow back on you in a bit of wind and is supposed to have a farther range... I don't know if either is true.

A can of pepper spray can disable (or at least slow down) multiple assailants. A taser, contact or projectile points, can really only effectively be used on a single assailant.

Pepper spray, taser, extendable baton and a concealed handgun... I hope you left enough money in your budget to also purchase a Batman utility belt!

I see everyone talking up a baton.

Keep in mind, depending on the elements of the scenario and who witnessed what happened or came into the picture halfway through the unfolding scenario. As well as evidence/video etc may come back to burn you.

For example if you are in a verbal altercation (and for whatever reason you go toe to toe instead of walking away) and the individual puts hands on you/pushes you. If you pull a baton or some form of "non-lethal" you may have just opened the door for the other party to also pull a weapon (gun/knife/pipe/bat) in self defense.

It can get shady really quick and you may end up doing more harm then good.

Use your head. People are watching/recording.

Problem is, canes with club ends aren't legal on planes. And collapsed and tucked in that pouch, you can't tell what it is. So I think it would be illegal to carry concealed in Oregon.

I carry a cane because I need one to get around at this point. Mine is a hickory Kingsbury Tahoe walking cane from Cane Masters. good for walking or SD. And legal everywhere including on airplanes.
Nothing like a good piece of hickory.

I carry pepper spray in my car and my 18yo daughter also carries pepper spray on her key chain as well as a contact taser... which probably hasn't been charged in 2 years. I forget what it is exactly but we got the gel pepper spray that is supposed to be less likely to blow back on you in a bit of wind and is supposed to have a farther range... I don't know if either is true.

A can of pepper spray can disable (or at least slow down) multiple assailants. A taser, contact or projectile points, can really only effectively be used on a single assailant.

Pepper spray, taser, extendable baton and a concealed handgun... I hope you left enough money in your budget to also purchase a Batman utility belt!
Bear in mind that pepper spray has a shelf life too. If you forget what it is, it's probably a good time to check if it's expired.

Probably worth taking some time to consider what circumstances you would be willing to use less lethal force in. Less lethal force is still force, and you can face criminal charges if you deploy it inappropriately.

Whatever you choose to carry, train with it. Practice drawing it from concealment and using it. Practice transitioning from your less lethal tool to your pistol. Avoid dual-wielding - sympathetic reflexes can lead to NDs, and in the heat of the moment you may use the wrong tool.

If you've never experienced OC, probably worth getting hit with it so you can know what to expect. Odds are if you're deploying OC you'll getting a taste of it as well. The time to learn how to fight through it isn't in the middle of a real fight. If you're going to experience the OC, do it with friends and have lots of water available to flush your eyes with.

haha yeah that's why I wanna narrow it down lmao. I just want one good alternative. I try to travel light

Well of course a collapsible Baton wont get threw Homeland security TSA.. Nail clippers are illegal to get threw port of entry security also. And ( No ) it is not illegal to belt carry that collapsible baton in Oregon for self protection .

You are NOT going to be hiding/concealing that 29" peacekeeper anywhere on your person when collapsed . why would you, ? Deep concealment of a baton is just ridiculous for self-defense . Hiding it, is same as a guy choosing a .22rf to holster Ankle carry for a daily CC.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top