JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first car was a Model A Ford, which had a 3-speed floor shift manual transmission. The transmission had no syncros, so you had to double-clutch when downshifting. Since it had a 63-pound flywheel, it took forever for the engine to slow down to match the gearing when upshifting.

I didn't have any trouble learning to drive it, because I had been driving the family 2N Ford tractor (1945 vintage) since I was 12 years old.

My kids got to learn manual transmissions by taking the 1948 Jeep CJ2A out in the hayfield until they got the hang of it. They bought a 1992 Honda Accord with a manual transmission to drive to High School, and my daughter kept driving it through getting her Master's Degree in College. She and her brother are both overseas now, but don't want to let go of the Honda. They fear that they won't be able to find another car with a manual transmission!

They would have driven the Jeep to school, but my wife refused to allow that because the Jeep didn't have airbags. :rolleyes:
We just bought a new (to us) Jeep and those are one of the few cars still being made with manuals. When were were out looking we ran across a lot of Wranglers that had a manual. Kind of surprised me since they seem rare any more.

PS......BTW......

1180383-8dc91a46d61b662b4dc3f20e1c8efab8.png
I've had Karen Do-Gooders accost me while on errands because of this. One went verbally ballistic when I said, "the dogs are acting Savage because of you. Would you like to sit in the car to see how cool it is?"

The transmission had no syncros, so you had to double-clutch when downshifting
I was taught to listen to the RPMs and shift without the clutch, though I think all the vehicles had synchros, even the C20.
I had a Volvo 144 that I drove for a year without a starter - just made sure I was parked on an incline.

I've had Karen Do-Gooders accost me while on errands because of this. One went verbally ballistic when I said, "the dogs are acting Savage because of you. Would you like to sit in the car to see how cool it is?"
Some people go completely off the charts when they see a dog in a car. When the weather allowed it I often took the one in my avatar with me on quick trips. Some times would come out of the store to some idiot going on about him acting like he wanted to come through the glass at them. Waste of time to try to tell people like that, that if a dog is in trouble due to heat they do NOT act like they want to come at the person looking at them.

I'm in my mid 30s and my dad didn't give me the option of automatic/manual. He said you WILL learn to drive a manual. After you have done so you can choose which you prefer.
Sounds like your pops and I would get along. None of my kids were given an option on their first vehicle either. Other than the obvious reasons... my other reasoning was that it helps keep their attention on their driving and keeps their hands occupied.

It's more difficult to text and drive when you're shifting in traffic. ;)

I admit though.... I never considered I might be teaching them specialized and in demand auto theft skills that may make them more employable by chop shop rings.🤣

I still remember my first vehicle. Manual and no power steering... which made it GREAT going up into the hills for a little shooting. Young and poor you only had to buy enough gas to get you up the mountain. Coming back down you just shut off the engine and coast your way back down again. 👍

Last Edited:
Try this one out

9UsF4lK.jpg

hAbUZfH.jpg

My 1948 Willys CJ-2A with a 3spd 30% OD 2 spd transfercase I have 12 forward and 4 reverse gears. The tee handle on the stick is a hand throttle and the push/pull switch is to engage the rear locker.

This setup has 3 neutrals (Trans, OD, Transfercase)

The company I retired from (which has 6 speed International trucks) hired a young guy who fortunately already knew how to drive a stick.

I taught him how to double-clutch down shift, and then explained how you can use heel-and-toe downshifting to simultaneously brake hard and downshift.

He did a great job of learning, especially given that the tach wasn't working!

The company I retired from (which has 6 speed International trucks) hired a young guy who fortunately already knew how to drive a stick.

I taught him how to double-clutch down shift, and then explained how you can use heel-and-toe downshifting to simultaneously brake hard and downshift.

He did a great job of learning, especially given that the tach wasn't working!
I always had problems with the 2 speed rear axle on the farm flatbed truck. Never got the timing right.

I was taught to listen to the RPMs and shift without the clutch, though I think all the vehicles had synchros, even the C20.
I had a Volvo 144 that I drove for a year without a starter - just made sure I was parked on an incline.

Started at around 9-10 I'd guess on a Tote Goat/centrifugal clutch. Drivers ED was an early '70s chevy Caprice. After that, Dad took me to the high school parking lot and put me behind the wheel of a 1964 Econoline van/3 on the tree. We also had Toyota corona with 4-speed stick. I still remember that first drive in the Econoline. Man that van was cool doing doughnuts in snowy parking lots.

About no clutch? I decided to take a 3-4 day fishing trip by myself with my little 13' smoker craft towed behind my '84 GMC C-1500 stick shift. It was a beautiful morning when I was pulling into Tillamook! Come to that first light. Hit the brakes to stop at the light. Clutch in, BANG! A spring had broken in the clutch disk and the pedal wouldn't disengage the tranny. I got to drive that thing back to Portland with no clutch. When I had to stop I had to make sure it was in low when I shut the engine off, and start it in gear, shifting without clutch.

I had that fun experience myself recently. My clutch master cylinder went out. I wasn't completely without a clutch; it sort of worked part of the time. I made it back home just fine, but shifting was interesting. It was easier and cheaper than I expected to replace both cylinders. I've certainly got my money's worth out of that truck over the last couple decades.

It's interesting that this is a somewhat uniquely American thing. I've spent close to a month in Scotland this year and nearly all the cars seem to be manuals, driven by all ages. Rental cars with automatic transmissions are WAY more expensive. Grew up driving a stick so it was fun doing it again...except it was on the left side.

Have a 1962 Austin Healey that I hope to finish restoring soon so a non-syncro trans will be added to the family fleet. You are so much more connected to the driving with a stick.

Another observation, did not see a single person holding a cell phone while driving while there.

Well played.

Drams are even harder to spill in a tall glass :s0032:

In seriousness...I found Scotland, at least the places I visited, were exceptionally responsible when it came to impaired driving. If there was a hint you were the driver, they would not serve you at any distillery.
Chances are the cost of getting caught is FAR heavier. Many countries really hammer you for this so they of course get FAR less of it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews