JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or.......

1696718938902.png

Aloha, Mark

I had a 6-speed RX8 a few years back and they have a unique (collectable/stealable) shift knob, which disappeared from the car one day. I replaced it with a knob from another vehicle and the reverse on the knob showed as all the right and up, when actually it was all the way right and down. I would drop it off for tire service and watch the tire guy try to figure out how to back it out of its spot. Definitely a redneck anti-theft device....

Back in the late 60's / early 70's, my dad had his own business. So he had the flexibility to step away from the business when he needed to and let staff run it. This allowed him to be the general contractor for our family home that he built. I was in high school at the time and would help with the house building stuff after school and on weekends (got paid, of course).

He bought an old 56 Dodge 2-ton flatbed for picking up lumber, trusses, rock, etc., to bring to the building site for the carpenters and other sub-contractors. It had a 6 cylinder engine with a 5-speed tranny and a 2-speed rear axel. So, all the work was done with gears instead horsepower. He taught me how to drive it and it was a blast.

It certainly would be theft proof today with a manual tranny AND the 2-speed rear axel. If someone managed to get it started and drive away, they'd probably be stuck in first gear in the low rear axel ratio - speeding away at a BLISTERING 5 miles per hour.

Back in the late 60's / early 70's, my dad had his own business. So he had the flexibility to step away from the business when he needed to and let staff run it. This allowed him to be the general contractor for our family home that he built. I was in high school at the time and would help with the house building stuff after school and on weekends (got paid, of course).

He bought an old 56 Dodge 2-ton flatbed for picking up lumber, trusses, rock, etc., to bring to the building site for the carpenters and other sub-contractors. It had a 6 cylinder engine with a 5-speed tranny and a 2-speed rear axel. So, all the work was done with gears instead horsepower. He taught me how to drive it and it was a blast.

It certainly would be theft proof today with a manual tranny AND the 2-speed rear axel. If someone managed to get it started and drive away, they'd probably be stuck in first gear in the low rear axel ratio - speeding away at a BLISTERING 5 miles per hour.
That's about the only thing I haven't had an opportunity to drive yet - a 2-speed axle. Would be interesting to check that off someday.

That's about the only thing I haven't had an opportunity to drive yet - a 2-speed axle. Would be interesting to check that off someday.
It's pretty easy to learn - logical even. With old rigs like the Dodge, the challenge was learning hows to "finesse" your shifting. There was a "timing and feel" to it - especially moving back and forth between the high and low rear axle ratios. After a while you learned how she liked to be shifted and how she didn't (no innuendo intended - LOL).

Last Edited:
You guys are giving a lot of crap to a generation that doesn't deserve it. You're referring to millennials when what you mean is Gen z. Millennials are in their 30s/40s. Young people don't get to know how to drive stick because they generally don't exist outside niche markets anymore. In 20 more years, the next generation will need to know them even less. It's also not that hard to learn when given a half hour lesson. Or maybe the old folk in the room just want to flick the young ones crap instead of actually being of help?

Fwiw, my daily is a manual.

You guys are giving a lot of crap to a generation that doesn't deserve it. You're referring to millennials when what you mean is Gen z. Millennials are in their 30s/40s. Young people don't get to know how to drive stick because they generally don't exist outside niche markets anymore. In 20 more years, the next generation will need to know them even less. It's also not that hard to learn when given a half hour lesson. Or maybe the old folk in the room just want to flick the young ones crap instead of actually being of help?

Yep. I doubt many Gen-X (my generation) know how to drive a column shift. I learned to drive on one when I was 15.

My generation has done a bubblegumload of damage to younger generations and has no business ridiculing anyone for not knowing how to do something they never had to learn.

I'm in my mid 30s and my dad didn't give me the option of automatic/manual. He said you WILL learn to drive a manual. After you have done so you can choose which you prefer.

I also had a full time job as a senior in high school, had to buy my own car, maintenance, insurance, gas, phone, etc.

I respect and appreciate everything my parents required of me. Even though at the time I didn't understand while many of my friends had everything given to them.

Probably why I don't steal sh!t or take advantage of others…..

It really is about having to learn. A coworker was once spouting off about how collectively stupid we Americans are, and how superior Europeans are. He said for example, the average European speaks several languages, whereas the average American barely speaks one. I asked him how many he spoke... only English of course. If they spoke another language across the border in Washington, and another in California, and another in Idaho, then we would all know several out of simple necessity.

I learned on a 1950 Chevy 2-ton farm truck that my dad converted to a silage truck. It was decades old even back then. We had a lot of old equipment, including an old International bulldozer from the '40s, a Northwest dragline also from the '40s, a tractor or two from the '50s, etc.. It's just a matter of learning, and it's not hard.

I've been teaching my 17 year old son to drive my truck lately. He was nervous and scared because he was convinced that manual transmissions were difficult and scary somehow, but he got over that pretty quick.

I did have to warn him about one thing though. We were stopped at a light on a hill here in town, and some stupid bubblegum in a big lifted pickup pulled right up behind us, seemed like inches from our bumper. He got a little freaked out when I told him he had to be careful to not roll backwards at all. He killed it once, but did well after that.

Last Edited:
When we were car shopping for my oldest, she was dead set on a new Beetle...she searched and searched and finally found a winner, '05 with only 80k on the clock. Wife and I went and checked it out, was decent enough so brought it home....when kiddo got home, she climbed in to check it out..."Dad, why are there three pedals?"

Lol

She can drive a manual just fine now 😎

My first manual transmission had a clutch on the handlebars (Kawasaki KX). Then, as I turned 9 or 10 I learned on the old family truck, a 3 speed with a granny gear. I kind of miss my manual commuter car, got a lot better mileage than my diesel truck.

Swing by my tree farm and drive my Ford dump with an 8-speed Lo/Lo and 2-speed Eaton rear axles. In Granny/Low and the axles in Low, you can walk twice as fast as it moves at idle.

My first car was a Model A Ford, which had a 3-speed floor shift manual transmission. The transmission had no syncros, so you had to double-clutch when downshifting. Since it had a 63-pound flywheel, it took forever for the engine to slow down to match the gearing when upshifting.

I didn't have any trouble learning to drive it, because I had been driving the family 2N Ford tractor (1945 vintage) since I was 12 years old.

My kids got to learn manual transmissions by taking the 1948 Jeep CJ2A out in the hayfield until they got the hang of it. They bought a 1992 Honda Accord with a manual transmission to drive to High School, and my daughter kept driving it through getting her Master's Degree in College. She and her brother are both overseas now, but don't want to let go of the Honda. They fear that they won't be able to find another car with a manual transmission!

They would have driven the Jeep to school, but my wife refused to allow that because the Jeep didn't have airbags. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews