JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on buying guns as an investment.

Strategies, etc.

Is it dumb to consider guns as an investment.

Seems like the used guns hold there value, I am not sure they appreciate much.

if you are just interested in investing, go the NFA route. they aren't making any more of them and there is still a demand. every year less are available and the price in general goes up. The vast majority of guns go down in value. some become classics and retain value. but the majority do not. think of the investment in fun, not for gaining value.

Brass I am kinda just getting in to the whole gun scene again and truely appreciate your oppinion. Thank you I hear what you are saying.:)

I am just asking the question because I don't know the answer.

I've only bought 2 guns in my lifetime, the first 30 years ago a model 200 12 gauge, paid used $125, and today it is worth????? prolly $125, so it got me thinking.

I am thinking about selling my woods bike because I should. And rather then put the money into the bank (once it is in there wifey wants a taste) I was wondering about putting the $3000 towards more toys for me.

I try to think of most of my guns in terms of resale value. If you buy used, and buy models that are no longer manufactured and of good quality, chances are you'll make money in the long run. I often kick myself in the *** for selling a number of HKs in the late 80s. Most are worth about 3x what they were then. You aren't going to get returns like you would by investing in the stock market or in bonds - But if you're looking for a hobby where you'll be able to get out of your hardware what you put into it, guns are hard to beat.

That is, unless you figure in what you spend on ammo :)

Your best bet is to buy something that has been ban from being imported. Buy high capacity magazines for good brand name rifles and handguns. Ammunitions has also gone up in the last 2 years. You can also use your extra mags and ammo to barter for other items.

Investing is always a tricky hobby. You really have to know the area well, before you put your money down on a sucker bet. Whether it be "Hot Wheels", Gold, or Stocks - or in this case, guns, you have to know what you are dealing in.

Ever watch the antiques roadshow? "What a great tiffany candlestick you have, I would value it at $90, now if you hadn't of cleaned it.... you would be looking at about $1200." It applies to antique guns too for the most part.

It is funny in a way when people look back at some of the guns they owned and see how much they are selling for nowdays. Even the old cheap thrills standby, the SKS, is now selling for a lot more than 10 years ago. Those old Remington 870 hasn't increased all that much in the secondary market. Seems to me that old Military rifles are the better investment, but then again a lot of investment buyers are buying them so there may still be a lot of them around in 20 years. Some people say that Mausers will be the next one to take off. Who knows tho....

As others have said - investing is tricky...

NFA at this point are good bets...

C&R is also a good investment - as long as you know what you're looking for. They're not making any more vintage lugers...

I always try to find a good deal when I buy guns so if and when I sell them I'll be able to get more than I paid. Guns don't usually lose value if you buy them used, and if they do it's usually no more than $20-$50. I do consider my collection a sort of 'savings account', one which I can use :)

You'll never make money "buying" guns, unless you rent them out. The best you can do is make money when you "sell" them:s0058: Right now is probably still a bad time to invest in general thanks to the "frenzy" resulting from the recent election. Yeah, I got caught up in it to. Remember also if you plan on shooting the guns at all you gotta pay for ammo and maintenance, cutting into your profits. When I look back at the guns that I sold or could have bought, and look at what they go for now I just think about all the money I would have spent on ammo and realize I wouldn't be THAT far ahead money wise.

Yes. Guns are a great investment. You can enjoy your money, and have a highly liquidable asset at the same time. If you want to invest $3K, get a full auto uzi. As far as semi's, Colt's are good, as are Smith's. Look at milsurp ammo, too, 5.45 will definitely go up now that Saiga is selling their $350 5.45 rifles. C&R is the cheapest way to go, and it will also allow you to have a ton of cheap guns that could appreciate. Remember, it's all about supply and demand, and if you're new do a ton of research before you start trying to invest.

If you're buying and selling guns for a profit, you need to have an FFL.

I think the only guns I have that are worth more than I paid are the ones I bought 20 - 30 years ago. But then, the value of the dollar has eroded so it that a real profit? I bought an almost new Ruger flat bolt, tang safety M77 in 1974 (.270 Win) that I love. Drives nails. I paid $200. Was that a good deal? Not particularly then. (It's a 1974 model, I just found out. I thought it was older.)

I'm with Joey. I like to buy used and get a decent deal. Then If I want to sell I can get most or all of my money back.

Thanks All of You for the input. Remember Mustangs, GTO's, SuperBee's, Camaro's, and ...were like $3,000 - $3,800 in the sixties - cherry from the factories. Prices are in order with inflation. Now if you dropped $3,000 into AT&T in say 1964, OH MY.

Still, let's go shooting and have some quick accurate fun.- right Wichaka?

Some guns appreciated well ahead of inflation if you bought the right ones back in the 1960s :D:

59d6355e.jpg
b8fae0a6.jpg
9da6a8ca.jpg
56046091.jpg
5a4ef25a.jpg

I cant quite read the phone number on the adds, can you get me then so I can make a order! Ill take 100 of everything!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top