JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyway Sportsmans had a sale on handguns around Father's day and I decided to buy one. I knew full well the experience wasn't going to be good so I really can't bubblegum.

I was told there were 5k+ ahead of me so a three week wait is normal even with a ccw.

I have waited a lot longer buying a FA so it's just an inconvenience.

Week goes buy and I call to see how my number is moving, I am about 400 and they say they will call as it goes through.

Called yesterday after two weeks and the gent said it passed 2 days ago but we didn't have staff enough to call you.

Went in today and had to verify all the paperwork again in between interruptions, took about a half hour.

Summary is that it's a good effort to make people avoid buying a gun but screw it I will buy again.

Just looking for a better place to buy that has staff enough to keep a promise to inform you when the paper work goes through.

Last Edited:
Anyway Sportsmans had a sale on handguns around Father's day and I decided to buy one. I knew full well the experience wasn't going to be good so I really can't bubblegum.

I was told there were 5k+ ahead of me so a three week wait is normal even with a ccw.

Week goes buy and I call to see how my number is moving, I am about 400 and they say they will call as it goes through.

Called yesterday after two weeks and the gent said it passed 2 days ago but we didn't have staff enough to call you.

Went in today and had to verify all the paperwork again in between interruptions, took about a half hour.

Summary is that it's a good effort to make people avoid buying a gun but screw it I will buy again.

Just looking for a better place to buy that has staff enough to keep a promise to inform you when the paper work goes through.
Some alternatives in the somewhat local area that have always provided exceptional service would be: Tick Licker in both Salem and Corvallis, both likely a 20-30 minute drive from Albany, ARMAC in Junction City, Mazama's in Eugene.

Gun Pro shooting supplies in Springfield is the answer. Service is top notch, prices are fair. Currently he's calling in all BGCs and will have you through faster than the "3 day rule" because of it. Sometimes even same day

Tick Licker in Corvallis my friend! In 3wks time, I bought two firearms and was in and out both times within minutes. I'll spend the extra to keep the good guys in business. :s0155:

Sportsman's Warehouse can dry up and blow away for all I care! :rolleyes:

1688157286394.png

Aloha, Mark

Didn't have enough staff to make a 1 minute phone call?
At the Sportsman's Warehouse in Everett, WA, it isn't unusual to find only one employee at the gun counter. And if he has a customer to deal with that doesn't know the difference from a pump and a semi-auto shotgun, he has to do all the explaining, etc. It can be a frustrating experience if you're one of the people in line waiting for the counter man.

Next to last time I was in there, such was the situation. I left, I don't hang around for long waits. On the way out, there were a couple of employees playing grabass in the area where the knives are kept. I said, "The gun dept. could sure use your help right now." There was a moment of pause, then one of the said, "We aren't trained for that." And they probably weren't. Then as I was passing the customer service dept. (which most times is also where you check out), I said, "They can sure use some help in the gun dept." The lady answered, "They sure could." Which as lame as it sounds, was probably indicative of two things. Help was not on the way, and help is hard to hire.

One day years ago when I was working a retail counter, we had a long line of customers backed up. This old lady came up to my window. I didn't say anything out of order but maybe my general deportment of the moment was one of haste. She said something like, "Now don't try to rush me along. I've waited my turn and now I'm going to take all the time I want." And she did.

I have been toying with buying a PCC in 9mm that uses Glock magazines. Some other interesting PCC have come along so I haven't set a direct course yet. Might go to bimart today and browse some more.
I picked up a gently used Ruger PCC and will be trying it out this weekend. It is set up for the Ruger mags currently but could be changed over to accept Glock mags. It came with a few hundred rounds of BVA reman ammo which I will also try out this weekend.

Gun Pro shooting supplies in Springfield is the answer. Service is top notch, prices are fair. Currently he's calling in all BGCs and will have you through faster than the "3 day rule" because of it. Sometimes even same day
This is my "go to" place. Fantastic service. Not the largest selection, but Neil can order anything you may want.

Never had that problem at @Sporting Systems

At the Sportsman's Warehouse in Everett, WA, it isn't unusual to find only one employee at the gun counter. And if he has a customer to deal with that doesn't know the difference from a pump and a semi-auto shotgun, he has to do all the explaining, etc. It can be a frustrating experience if you're one of the people in line waiting for the counter man.

Next to last time I was in there, such was the situation. I left, I don't hang around for long waits. On the way out, there were a couple of employees playing grabass in the area where the knives are kept. I said, "The gun dept. could sure use your help right now." There was a moment of pause, then one of the said, "We aren't trained for that." And they probably weren't. Then as I was passing the customer service dept. (which most times is also where you check out), I said, "They can sure use some help in the gun dept." The lady answered, "They sure could." Which as lame as it sounds, was probably indicative of two things. Help was not on the way, and help is hard to hire.

One day years ago when I was working a retail counter, we had a long line of customers backed up. This old lady came up to my window. I didn't say anything out of order but maybe my general deportment of the moment was one of haste. She said something like, "Now don't try to rush me along. I've waited my turn and now I'm going to take all the time I want." And she did.
Oh yeah, usually never much help at the counter but managers are always capable of making those calls but they tend to "busy" themselves up with other things.

I've seen mangers, and have worked under, managers that will not help do any work they see "beneath" them regardless of how swamped the sales staff is at any given moment.

Oh yeah, usually never much help at the counter but managers are always capable of making those calls but they tend to "busy" themselves up with other things.

I've seen mangers, and have worked under, managers that will not help do any work they see "beneath" them regardless of how swamped the sales staff is at any given moment.
The problem with managers in general is that those who should lead, don't want it and those who shouldn't think they deserve it

Gun Pro was my favorite place when we lived in Springfield, been going in there since the week he opened. Neil is a good guy. I try to stop in and say hi every couple years or so.

Yep, Gun Pro in Springfield is where I sent my 25-06 to be transfered to me. I've known Neil a long time and even took a two hour shooting skills class from him back in the day. He was in the '97 Olympics in Mexico City.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top