JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
New guns are great. But its kind of hard to buy a new Python, HK-91 or US made 1911. Or any other gun no longer in production. These type of guns are worth owning.

You need to know how to break down any potential gun your looking to buy. And inspect it in good light. Bring your flashlight!

I knew going into that statement that I may embarrass myself...:confused:

Of course, looking it in your avatar, it may be a Ruger, which sells for around $675, not a Para, which sells for around $875.

Maybe you're trying to "pre-Advertise" your Ruger, getting ready to sell it sight unseen as a Para......:):D:D:)
Ahhh, all the Ruger SR1911s are "in the white" stainless. While most new firearms are made of stainless these days, like Para, my Commander has the factory nitride finish.

Sporting goods stores can be a good deal. If you research prices, start with the manufacturers website. MSRP is the top dollar you will pay. Then start hitting the stores looking for prices. I found my Para at Sportsmans Warehouse offered at about $750 new. The factory had a $100 rebate program, and Sportsmans offers a 5% discount to veterans (I'm retired Navy). Even with Washington sales tax, it was a price I could live with. As I said, I shopped around for nearly a year, not rushing in to buy. The bargains will be there, just be patient. o_O

No one has to worry about getting a raw deal from this guy. I tend to not sell any of my toys!

Didn't read through the whole thread, so if this has already been stated, apologies in advance.

If I may play devil's advocate here, I believe sellers can be dishonest, because the fear is that if they are honest about what they're selling, they'll never sell it.
We're all looking for something for free, or as little as possible anyway.
Why buy a new 1911, when I can get a "good" used one for 1/2 the price.
Case in point, I've got a nice little Winchester 94 that I'd like to let go because I just don't shoot it anymore.
I would like to see it go to someone who'd actually use it.
Really! I'm not lying here. That is truly the reason why I'm selling it.
However, the bluing is pitted at the receiver.
Is the gun a rusted hulk?
NO, it operates and functions just fine and I've found a little TLC has kept it rust free.
However, because of the bluing issue, are you really gonna buy it from me?
Are you gonna give me my (fair) asking price?
No, you're gonna try to whittle that price down to as cheap as possible and use the maladies the gun possesses as your reason for taking it at a much reduced price.
...or, you're gonna blow me off with some made up excuse, as someone recently did when I offered that gun in a MORE THAN FAIR trade.
[NOTE: The following comments are My Humble Opinion]
Its the fear of not being able to sell, or not getting something close to their asking price that is driving these sellers to dishonesty.
Is it "right" for a seller to deceive to a buyer?
No, of course not, but to lay blame COMPLETLY on the seller because you got duped is also unfair, because their actions are driven by the market itself.
"Buyer Beware" should ALWAYS be present in our minds when buying used, regardless from whom.

Dean

Last Edited:
short of knowing an individual personally, the only thing we have in a system like this is our rating score. I take it very seriously, a) because it's my personal reputation, and b) liability. I will not knowingly pass on a defective or potentially defective gun. Use the rating system, use it honestly, and start considering the value of paper documentation of gun sales between private parties.

It's too bad, this thread shows just how many flakes are attracted to the local gun forums. I've been a serious trader for a lot of years, and when I'm in the market to sell, or I'm in the market to buy, I often use the local sites only as a last effort, knowing I'll have to sort thru the fruitcakes. There are other sites that are very much more respected and used by the serious gun traders and collectors.

This is unfortunate, as I have met a number of very respectable and knowledegable collectors on this forum too. It's too bad some of the folks here just don't realize how seriously some of us take our gun trading, and it's never acceptable to expect to be cheated. Again, that's why I/we frequent the more respectable sites.

WAYNO.

WAYNO, which respectable gun sites are you referring too?
Inquiring minds want to know.

I am a Ruger accumulator, so I frequent http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/ It's a site made of Ruger collectors, but collectively, these folks are knowledgeable of just about any gun imaginable. Many of us know each other, so gun deals online are very trustable. In many cases the item bought, and the payment for it, pass in the mail. There are flakes that find their way to our site too, but they're easily spotted and usually give up. We are very willing to share what we know with the folks that want to learn, but just like with the local sites, trolls sometimes are not so easily disuaded. Still a much more manageable and trusted site.

There are similar collector sites for the Colt guys, S&W, Marlin, Winchester, and most other respectable names. And these sites are all intollerant to cheats, flakes and trolls.

My post is not to disrespect the NWF site, or its members, but I'd sure like folks to understand that firearms trading is serious business.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
It's too bad, this thread shows just how many flakes are attracted to the local gun forums. I've been a serious trader for a lot of years, and when I'm in the market to sell, or I'm in the market to buy, I often use the local sites only as a last effort, knowing I'll have to sort thru the fruitcakes. There are other sites that are very much more respected and used by the serious gun traders and collectors.

This is unfortunate, as I have met a number of very respectable and knowledegable collectors on this forum too. It's too bad some of the folks here just don't realize how seriously some of us take our gun trading, and it's never acceptable to expect to be cheated. Again, that's why I/we frequent the more respectable sites.

WAYNO.
The recent political climate has probably done more to drive new folks to the shooting sports, and that means there are a lot of new folks that really don't understand the in's & out's of the market like yourself, myself, and others who have been at it our whole lives. This market also attracts those who are in it for a fast buck. You can't deny that there are a good number of people who are buying up guns, powder, bullets and primers so they can not only add to a shortage in an already tight market, but they can then turn around and profit quite handsomely from it. We both know that there are sellers out there who will sell junk firearms to an unsuspecting / trusting individual. It happens all the time, and sadly, reputable dealers get a black eye to some degree. Hell, I'm a "newbie" to some degree. I moved out here from Montana nine years ago, and it's taken some time and meeting the right people to find reputable gunsmiths and dealers.

I have been involved in the shooting sports for right at fifty years, shooting since I was ten years old. I know enough to know I don't know everything. I am also cognizant enough that some people I know have asked me to go to gun shops with them so I can look over firearms they might want to buy. One dealer was trying to convince me that an old 94 Winchester had come to Oregon with a pioneer family in a covered wagon. I may have my history a bit off, but I don't think that many covered wagons were getting to Oregon in 1937, the year the rifle was built. It was worth maybe half of what they were asking, and they wouldn't budge. It wasn't even in a rare chambering, just a plain jane 30 WCF. That dealer knew there would be some poor soul fall for his line.

Because of my age, I am selling some of my guns, one at a time. I guess I have been lucky not having to have dealt with a flake. As far as I know every buyer has been satisfied with their purchase. I have all good feed back. If someone was dissatisfied, I would buy it back as long as t was in the same condition. I have also ad good luck with arms list.
So what if you have a firearm that s defective? Is it right to take it to a licensed FFL and sell it to them?

Because of my age, I am selling some of my guns, one at a time. I guess I have been lucky not having to have dealt with a flake. As far as I know every buyer has been satisfied with their purchase. I have all good feed back. If someone was dissatisfied, I would buy it back as long as t was in the same condition. I have also ad good luck with arms list.
So what if you have a firearm that s defective? Is it right to take it to a licensed FFL and sell it to them?

Actually, it's okay to sell it to anybody you want, as long as the buyer absolutely knows it's defective. I have bought and sold guns with "issues", and in every case it is with full disclosure. Maybe it's being sold as a parts gun, or maybe the buyer is acquiring the gun at a bargain, with plans to repair it or send it off for repair. But again, never would I sell a broken gun without all parties knowing the condition or issues.

WAYNO.

I feel like most on here; give them a chance to make it right and if they don't then use the rating system and let everyone know about it.

On another note I have read a lot in posts on this thread about not getting any feedback after a transaction has taken place.

I'm one of the guilty ones for not leaving feedback; that is until recently. I am not very savy with computer stuff and I had a difficult time figuring out how to use the rating system. This site is not very user friendly. It has gotten better though. Most site members don't even know how to lock a thread. And most of us on here being guys wont admit we don't know how to use it and won't ask for help to figure it out. Maybe the site owner could put up some stickys with YouTube links to some how to videos. :rolleyes:

Didn't read through the whole thread, so if this has already been stated, apologies in advance.

If I may play devil's advocate here, I believe sellers can be dishonest, because the fear is that if they are honest about what they're selling, they'll never sell it.
We're all looking for something for free, or as little as possible anyway.
Why buy a new 1911, when I can get a "good" used one for 1/2 the price.
Case in point, I've got a nice little Winchester 94 that I'd like to let go because I just don't shoot it anymore.
I would like to see it go to someone who'd actually use it.
Really! I'm not lying here. That is truly the reason why I'm selling it.
However, the bluing is pitted at the receiver.
Is the gun a rusted hulk?
NO, it operates and functions just fine and I've found a little TLC has kept it rust free.
However, because of the bluing issue, are you really gonna buy it from me?
Are you gonna give me my (fair) asking price?
No, you're gonna try to whittle that price down to as cheap as possible and use the maladies the gun possesses as your reason for taking it at a much reduced price.
...or, you're gonna blow me off with some made up excuse, as someone recently did when I offered that gun in a MORE THAN FAIR trade.
[NOTE: The following comments are My Humble Opinion]
Its the fear of not being able to sell, or not getting something close to their asking price that is driving these sellers to dishonesty.
Is it "right" for a seller to deceive to a buyer?
No, of course not, but to lay blame COMPLETLY on the seller because you got duped is also unfair, because their actions are driven by the market itself.
"Buyer Beware" should ALWAYS be present in our minds when buying used, regardless from whom.

Dean

You don't have any trading or selling stats I see.
Buyer beware, yep good to remember...
I like dealing with trustworthy people more though.

I don't have a class 3 license, so I'm not too keen on selling over the net.
If I ever do sell the Winchester, it'll probably have to be a localized sale.
However, I suppose I could use licensed dealer as a go-between.
I don't do a whole lot of buying and selling. That's not why I'm into guns.
But why bring up my stats in the first place, Taku?
Are you saying I'm untrustworthy, based solely on that?

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads