JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Window shoppers..... I think it's pretty common.

If they are making a deal, then ghosting, that's a different matter and pretty rude... in which case... if someone else is waiting next in line, I would give them 24hrs then move on.

The window shopping is when you scroll through the classifieds. To take the extra step to contact the seller is beyond window shopping. Then to just disapear.........................................

The window shopping is when you scroll through the classifieds. To take the extra step to contact the seller is beyond window shopping. Then to just disapear.........................................
Well.... I don't think additional general info questions are out of line. I ask additionals on occassion because many sellers neglect to post relevent info in the actual listings. Sometimes no-brainer type info... IE., selling mags but neglect to post a photo where you can see the capacity and it isn't mentioned in the listing. Or fail to mention the overall use/condition of an item (new? lightly used? banged to hell but still functional? missing parts? etc)

Window shoppers..... I think it's pretty common.
I agree with this.
Personally I think the seller is expecting too much.
If I see something on Craigslist and ask the seller about it, then find an item I like more, I feel no need to tell the first person unless I had clearly articulated that I would keep them informed of my intentions.

Well.... I don't think additional general info questions are out of line. I ask additionals on occassion because many sellers neglect to post relevent info in the actual listings. Sometimes no-brainer type info... IE., selling mags but neglect to post a photo where you can see the capacity and it isn't mentioned in the listing.
I agree but out of respect don't you tell the seller that it won't work out for what ever reason? This was not a general question for specs. It was a flat out offer and I agreed and the buyer stops answering PMs.

I sell very little and mostly buy. That said there are many "ghost sellers" as well. Post an item then never log in to check to see how many PM''s, ignore PM's altogether or let PM box fill so nobody can send a reply.

I agree with this.
Personally I think the seller is expecting too much.
If I see something on Craigslist and ask the seller about it, then find an item I like more, I feel no need to tell the first person unless I had clearly articulated that I would keep them informed of my intentions.
On Craigslist dealing with the general public, fine. But another member on a private web site?

Well.... I don't think additional general info questions are out of line. I ask additionals on occassion because many sellers neglect to post relevent info in the actual listings. Sometimes no-brainer type info... IE., selling mags but neglect to post a photo where you can see the capacity and it isn't mentioned in the listing. Or fail to mention the overall use/condition of an item (new? lightly used? banged to hell but still functional? missing parts? etc)
Too many people don't even know what the hell they are selling.

I agree but out of respect don't you tell the seller that it won't work out for what ever reason? This was not a general question for specs. It was a flat out offer and I agreed and the buyer stops answering PMs.
It depends. I usually ask questions in the listing thread itself when I am just window shopping... for the benefit of others, too. If I'm fairly serious enough to dive deeper into specifics in a PM and turns out to not be what I'm looking for I'll send a, "thanks anyway" follow up.

If I make an offer though... my word is my bond. If they agree to it... it's too late to pull out, even if I change my mind.

If that was the case, then... yeah... incredibly uncool!!

On Craigslist dealing with the general public, fine. But another member on a private web site?
With all due respect... The original post comes across as someone who fully expected to sell an item and is irritated that the buyer may have changed his mind.
It seems likely somebody may have put the cart ahead of the horse.

Too many people don't even know what the hell they are selling.
👆This.

I've asked direct questions about an item and been told one thing, but upon further investigation on my own I will sometimes learn... they didn't know what they were talking about on their own item. Case in point on a jig recently: I asked if it was the multi platform covering all 3 types, and the seller said yes, but turned out it was only the standard 2 platform model.... and a very significant price difference.

If I had made an offer that was accepted based on the sellers info... and later learned it was the cheaper version.. I would have either revised my offer or pulled out from the deal before any money changed hands. Obviously though, I would have informed the seller in either case though.

Ghosting is not an option at that advanced stage of a deal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top