JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I'm a ghost buyer. I decided I wanted to buy a gun this last Saturday and found 3 on here that I liked. All three adds were first posted on Saturday as well. I said I'll take it to hold my place in line so to speak while working out the details. To be clear I wanted to do the deal that day and had the cash in hand to do so. FFL's are generally open and I didn't want to wait until next week during the week. I got things to do. The only seller to respond on Saturday didn't want to meet me half was so I backed out. Maybe it's wrong for me to not go to Portland no matter how good the deal is but that's how it is. I just figured we couldn't work out the deal to both our satisfaction. I've done enough deals to know that happens sometimes so no big deal just move on. The other two didn't get back to me on Saturday so when they finally got back to me a day or two later I told them I was no longer interested. I guess I thought the implied was I'll take it provided we can work out the details. I'll be sure to put that disclaimer in my next offers to purchase.

That is why I like GUNBROKER, as a newbie with zero feedback I was able to win my first attempt to purchase, you are vetted up front, so the website minimizes the nonsense for the sellers.
Why does GB have a reputation for scams? Not being facetious, I honestly hear stories of scams and misbehavior on GB all the time. Like this one:

I've had way worse experiences on gb than I have hear! Dealing with one bad seller and 1 bad buyer right now on gb

I guess I'm a ghost buyer. I decided I wanted to buy a gun this last Saturday and found 3 on here that I liked. All three adds were first posted on Saturday as well. I said I'll take it to hold my place in line so to speak while working out the details. To be clear I wanted to do the deal that day and had the cash in hand to do so. FFL's are generally open and I didn't want to wait until next week during the week. I got things to do. The only seller to respond on Saturday didn't want to meet me half was so I backed out. Maybe it's wrong for me to not go to Portland no matter how good the deal is but that's how it is. I just figured we couldn't work out the deal to both our satisfaction. I've done enough deals to know that happens sometimes so no big deal just move on. The other two didn't get back to me on Saturday so when they finally got back to me a day or two later I told them I was no longer interested. I guess I thought the implied was I'll take it provided we can work out the details. I'll be sure to put that disclaimer in my next offers to purchase.
To me, "I'll take it" means you're ready to proceed. I would't make that kind of a statement unless my questions were pretty much answered in the ad or from previous contact with the seller. I prefer to send a PM with with questions, and then my phone number if ready to proceed, but wouldn't give the impression I was ready to buy if conditions haven't been worked out yet.

As far as staying in contact, yes, always text or email the time and location for the exchange, and same day confirmation. There are many reasons for one party to be delayed, and it's common courtesy to let the other person know. I know I wouldn't be getting in the car and driving 20 miles if there wasn't a same day confirmation.

Why does GB have a reputation for scams? Not being facetious, I honestly hear stories of scams and misbehavior on GB all the time. Like this one:
Same as ebay, it's a nationwide venue. And definitely the largest for privately buying and selling guns. Anything that big where money changes hands between private parties is going to facilitate scams.

To me, "I'll take it" means you're ready to proceed. I would't make that kind of a statement unless my questions were pretty much answered in the ad or from previous contact with the seller. I prefer to send a PM with with questions, and then my phone number if ready to proceed, but wouldn't give the impression I was ready to buy if conditions haven't been worked out yet.

As far as staying in contact, yes, always text or email the time and location for the exchange, and same day confirmation. There are many reasons for one party to be delayed, and it's common courtesy to let the other person know. I know I wouldn't be getting in the car and driving 20 miles if there wasn't a same day confirmation.
I believe my reply was "I'll take it, PM sent". Anyway like most things in life, I'm doing it wrong, <shrug> people have been telling me that all my life. I just figure that none of the sales were meant to be so on to the next thing.

I'm in the camp of asking questions is one thing, making an offer or saying i'll take it and then ghosting is bad manners.

One trick I use (when I can remember!) is when someone does something that irritates me/pisses me off I just say to myself: "Well, maybe someone died that was close to them today" or some other question like that. It helps me to "not sweat the small stuff" because none of us have any idea what's going on in other people's lives to cause their behavior.

The worst is when you've got to the place arranging a meeting day and time at an FFL and THEN they ghost you. I mean, if you changed your mind, just tell me please.

Maybe not a ghost buyer, but definitely a flake and not a man of your word.

If someone says "I'll take it" then they should make a good faith effort to follow through on their promise — and part of that is the expectation the buyer travels to the seller, and that you're gonna work with the seller on timing.

Maybe not a ghost buyer, but definitely a flake and not a man of your word.

If someone says "I'll take it" then they should make a good faith effort to follow through on their promise — and part of that is the expectation the buyer travels to the seller, and that you're gonna work with the seller on timing.
Lol, you funny guy, I did my best effort and it didn't work out. No more, no less.

Has anybody had this happen to them? Somebody inquires about an item. Seller replies and the buyer says I'll get back to you and vanashes never to be heard from again.
Yes I believe
@JEFFMM1718 in Minneapolis is one. He ask for address to send payment then never does. I noticed he did this to another person after he did it to me. Guys like him is why I stopped shipping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top