JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is sadly becoming way too common. People are raised with the idea that they need to learn nothing because they are all owed a living. While jobs that pay VERY well go begging people want to make a "living wage" to know nothing and learn nothing. Meanwhile trade schools offer these kids a chance to make real money to learn a trade. They don't want that of course, takes some work. When Mom and Dads basement floods and they need to call a plumber the kids don't even see an opportunity when Mom and Dad tell them how much it cost to get a plumber to fix the problem. Just go back to the video games and scream they need $20 and hour to flip burgers. :s0054:

Do nothing, learn nothing, slack off, get bad grades, get a criminal record, then complain that they don't earn enough. Won't get a GED, won't go to college, won't pay for a trade school, but they are just the less fortunate. People that worked hard thru grade school and beyond are supposted to feel sorry for them and support their cause.

Good good.

Let them keep pushing for higher wages to the point they cannot be sustained and ultimately collapse. Soon they'll wonder why a few of them will have to take on more roles since the company cannot afford both a flipper and a cashier. Oh and the reduced hours will make them want $20 by then.

Yes yes, good plan keep asking for more until it completely vanishes.

It will lead to opportunity for some. Automation. More and more automation. Which is great. You can make a machine that will do the work of several employee's. A few, will get training on how to keep these machines running. People will have to learn programing and technical repair. They of course will get paid well to keep the stuff going smooth. While there will need to be a few, very few, idiots to stand there and open packages and such. These few will soon hear that the techs who come in and fix the machine make many times as much as them, and scream of course. Too bad for them.

MIckey D kiosk still needs work too, can't sub salad for fries so you still have to go to a counterperson for that.

Give it time and refinement, though... I for one welcome our robot overlords of cheap-trash food. Now when you're talknig about my favorite Italian hole-in-the-wall, though...

Felons work at burger joints?

Ewwwwww

Never crossed my mind, cah-rapp!

Forget about higher burger costs, I'd never considered this group cooking for the public and no doubt they work at burger joints all over the U.S. - I've eaten my last burger....no matter how much love 'felons' currently enjoy...ick!!

Don't eat out if you don't want a felon making your meal - substance abuse and sexual assault seem to be a bit higher than average among food service workers, as well as crimes like theft / fraud. As long as you don't have a communicable disease (if the restaurant actually gives a damn) and you can get a food card, you can get a job as a cook.

My ex wife's baby daddy (she had a kid before we got together) was one of those guys - loser, deadbeat that preferred being stoned if he was awake over much else. Life long low wage food service worker, when he could be bothered to actually hold a job, and was not incarcerated.

Don't eat out if you don't want a felon making your meal - substance abuse and sexual assault seem to be a bit higher than average among food service workers, as well as crimes like theft / fraud. As long as you don't have a communicable disease (if the restaurant actually gives a damn) and you can get a food card, you can get a job as a cook.

My ex wife's baby daddy (she had a kid before we got together) was one of those guys - loser, deadbeat that preferred being stoned if he was awake over much else. Life long low wage food service worker, when he could be bothered to actually hold a job, and was not incarcerated.

Yuck. This is another reason I don't eat fast food. Well, that and I don't have a taste for felonious bodily fluids.

It is kind of odd the notion that a burger joint job is supposed to provide a wage that one can live on and/or support a family. That has never been the case; it is for young people still living at home, those that need a little side income, or whatever.

I remember when we had kiddos and bought a house, I needed to bring in more income to rebuild what the down payment took out, pay down the mortgage as fast as I could, and take care of all the other ancillary costs of a move, kids, home improvements, and a wife on maternity leave. So, I did various technical writing jobs in the evenings and weekends. It brought in a few bucks, but frankly the time investment to funds ratio sucked. There is no way I could have supported myself on that, let alone a family of four, nor did I expect my employers to do so. It was a side gig, nothing more. (One night I remember starting a new writing piece, go into the kitchen to refill my drink, come back to find a little diapered butt and legs sticking out from under desk, then a "No! No! No!" (blonk), out goes the power to the workstation. Ah, fatherhood. :s0112:)

I had to give up on Quarter Pounders... the patties just don't taste right. I get an odd hankering for a Big Mac every once in awhile. When they put them on sale, I eat two. <ugh> Love their fries. Hate Diet Coke but I drink it cuz that's what they got.

Man, if ate two Big Macs, and I could probably do it, Id have to get home pretty quick and not plan on going anywhere for at least a couple hours. :s0157:

Flame broiled... oh yeah! But the Whopper doesn't seem to taste as good as it used to. WTF? And their fries suck. But at least they serve diet Pepsi. :)

I agree. I remember the first time I went to BK. Logan Utah was the first BK in Utah I believe. I was doing a job up there. The place was packed at lunch hour. They really moved the people through. The burger was crazy good. Now? Not so much.

Jack in the Crak... I used to eat $3-$4 worth of their garbage tacos... something has gone wrong there too! Now it tastes like I'd expect ground groundhog to taste. I quit buying it.

Carl's is good but we don't have one here. Their top end burgers are great, their low end burgers are laughable... just a mini-burger.

I'm still ordering a meat and bean burrito at Taco Mime... they are kinda spendy at $3.99 compared to a plain burrito at $1.49. And they don't taste as good as they used to. Maybe it's me...

It's US too though. We don't taste the same as we used to. :s0155:

It's US too though. We don't taste the same as we used to. :s0155:

I'd ask the wife, but she wouldn't know!!

"Man, if ate two Big Macs, and I could probably do it, Id have to get home pretty quick and not plan on going anywhere for at least a couple hours."

Yeah, I go nuts then regret it the rest of the day. After a few hours I wonder why I feel so sick. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really? This company offered these folks $1 and hour increase but they demand $5 an hour to survive in Portland. Maybe it's me but if you can't afford to live in Portland, and who can? MOVE!
This is a non-skilled job and supposed to be an entry level position into the workforce. It was never meant to provide for a family or the high cost of living in Portland.
In the 80's, the Bay area became SO expensive due to Silicon Valley boom that the wife & I packed up the family and relocated to the central valley.
We found jobs and and a economy we could thrive in . These idiots want to live where they want to live and demand WE pay for it. Because, and i'm using logic here, who ultimately pays for this salary increase? Surprise, you & I. Give these burger flippers the boot and take your company out of Portland. :mad:

I've always thought that......
What you've said.......could apply to most any worker demanding a $15 a hour min wage (or a so-called "living wage) for working at an entry level position.

But then, I lived in HI. And, moving from one end of the island to the other, doesn't really work out. The high costs are everywhere, thanks to the Dems in power. LOL, and it's not that easy to move off of that island for the mainland either. But oh well.....gotta do what you gotta do. OR.....hope for more GOVT HELP. Cough, cough.....

Still......I believe that the Federal Govt setting a min. wage is in and of itself, INFLATIONARY.

Think about all of those people ( i.e. perhaps your retired grandmother or grandfather) living on a fixed-income/no income/next to nothing incomes. Yup, they may end up competing for housing, food, etc... with the McD workers who were making $10 an hour, but at the stroke of a pen, will get $15 an hour.

Oh yeah.......they'll (fixed income folks, etc...) probably also demand more HELP from the GOVT too.

I'd say.......that some people just gotta come to the realization that working at McD (entry level position, i.e. as a counter person or cook) wasn't/isn't really meant to be your lifetime job.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I took one of my work crews to the Burgerville in Scappoose about a month ago... I was taking phone calls and emails on my cell phone as they all ordered their food, then I get up to the counter and order a 1/4-lb "Colossal Burger" and the price was $8.00.... imagine my dismay when they bring me JUST the hamburger and not a (What I assumed was) a burger basket" with fries..... really? $8.00 for a bubblegumming 1/4-lb hamburger?! o_O

Won't EVER go into another Burgerville, ever. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
On a positive note, robots don't care if your a bubblegum:

Haha, never saw this picture, but it looks hilarious. Oh, and whilst in late high school / early college years, I worked, on and off, at a trendy seafood restaurant in various capacities (busing, waiter, bar work, even, yuck, dishwashing). All I can say is: "For the love of all that is Holy, don't ever send a dish back to the kitchen." Nothing a dramatic as this clip, of course, but trust me one this one, you won't like the results. Oh I, personally, never engaged in anything untoward, though I will confess to laughing gregariously. :s0165:

If my employees try to unionize and strike, I'll get new employees.
Corporate office won't play that unionization shizz.

That said, as a former burger flipper/grill cook/restaurant manager, overall, the people who make your food and drinks could certainly be treated better by their employers. I would say that in any restaurant you go in (fast food aside), a good portion of the boh staff has worked a 50 hour week, likely for minimum wage. It's especially difficult to swallow in that situation when you see the waitstaff taking home $350 or more in cash per shift on top of their wage, while doing less work as a general rule. Sometimes boh gets a small tip share.

I sympathize, but, as said, if you don't like it, move up to management or learn a skilled trade.

Last Edited:
Haha, never saw this picture, but it looks hilarious. Oh, and whilst in late high school / early college years, I worked, on and off, at a trendy seafood restaurant in various capacities (busing, waiter, bar work, even, yuck, dishwashing). All I can say is: "For the love of all that is Holy, don't ever send a dish back to the kitchen." Nothing a dramatic as this clip, of course, but trust me one this one, you won't like the results. Oh I, personally, never engaged in anything untoward, though I will confess to laughing gregariously. :s0165:
Over the years I have refused to go out with a few people for just this. If I get a bad experience at a eating place I will say something on the way out the door. I would never, ever, send food back then eat what comes back. I have gone out with a few who were just impossible to please and would make a scene and send stuff back. I would tell them never again with me. I don't want them doing something to my food because of you.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top