JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That said, the automated ordering system is the worst! It takes 5 minutes to work thru all the choices to get a simple meal. Counter person coulda done it in 30sec. This is another reason we should be unhappy with demands for higher wage for burger flippers!

Does the La Grande McDee's have the automated ordering?

I honestly wonder how long it will be before that industry becomes fully automated. With all the overhead, labor issues, demands for higher minimum wages, sanitary concerns, etc. coupled with advances in that field, it seems inevitable. I read an article in Forbes not all that long ago that the technology exists and can produce meals at rates competitive with McDonalds.

I honestly wonder how long it will be before that industry becomes fully automated. With all the overhead, labor issues, demands for higher minimum wages, sanitary concerns, etc. coupled with advances in that field, it seems inevitable. I read an article in Forbes not all that long ago that the technology exists and can produce meals at rates competitive with McDonalds.

Automated poison, distributed to the masses by machines. This is how Skynet starts.

Does the La Grande McDee's have the automated ordering?

Yes, but only two stations. We still have one counter person, so after one try I never use the touch screen ordering. And I refuse to go to McD places that have only the touch screens and no counter help. Their loss!

Have you used the app ordering? We have a couple parking spaces for those that use the app. I don't know if I could do it. I wonder if they bring it out or the cust has to go inside to get the order?

Automated poison, distributed to the masses. This is how Skynet starts.
10..9..8....6.....?

Something like that. I still wouldn't do the fast food thing if it was made by robots. Still, at some point there going to be a point the labor issue is so bad and the technology so good that the industry switches over. I just find it ironic that politicians and unions are demanding what they are because it is just pushing toward the adoption of automation. (Oh well, those of us that write code for a living might be doing so for the Burger-o-Matic 5000 instead of a more conventional machine. :s0112:)

Something like that. I still wouldn't do the fast food thing if it was made by robots. Still, at some point there going to be a point the labor issue is so bad and the technology so good that the industry switches over. I just find it ironic that politicians and unions are demanding what they are because it is just pushing toward the adoption of automation. (Oh well, those of us that write code for a living might be doing so for the Burger--o-Matic 5000 instead of a more conventional machine. :s0112:)

Yeahbut, robots can't spit in your food. Or can they........

Something like that. I still wouldn't do the fast food thing if it was made by robots.

I DO eat the stuff from time to time. Heck, living in Utah we had Dee's Drive Ins and restaurants and that was it for "Fast" food. And THEN McDee's, OMG! I still have a thing for Big Mac's but very seldom imbibe. AND THEN? Burger King! OMG again. Flame broiled flavor comes to fast food. Others, Carl's ,Crap in the Box. It tastes good, but being a person that uses 90% unprocessed food and cooks our meals from scratch as much as possible, I sense weird stuff after eating fast foods. I'm repulsed by the food, and price especially, at Taco Smell and Taco Mime.

Yeahbut, robots can't spit in your food. Or can they........
bender gif.gif

I DO eat the stuff from time to time. Heck, living in Utah we had Dee's Drive Ins and restaurants and that was it for "Fast" food. And THEN McDee's, OMG! I still have a thing for Big Mac's but very seldom imbibe. AND THEN? Burger King! OMG again. Flame broiled flavor comes to fast food. Others, Carl's ,Crap in the Box. It tastes good, but being a person that uses 90% unprocessed food and cooks our meals from scratch as much as possible, I sense weird stuff after eating fast foods. I'm repulsed by the food, and price especially, at Taco Smell and Taco Mime.

I had to give up on Quarter Pounders... the patties just don't taste right. I get an odd hankering for a Big Mac every once in awhile. When they put them on sale, I eat two. <ugh> Love their fries. Hate Diet Coke but I drink it cuz that's what they got.

Flame broiled... oh yeah! But the Whopper doesn't seem to taste as good as it used to. WTF? And their fries suck. But at least they serve diet Pepsi. :)

Jack in the Crak... I used to eat $3-$4 worth of their garbage tacos... something has gone wrong there too! Now it tastes like I'd expect ground groundhog to taste. I quit buying it.

Carl's is good but we don't have one here. Their top end burgers are great, their low end burgers are laughable... just a mini-burger.

I'm still ordering a meat and bean burrito at Taco Mime... they are kinda spendy at $3.99 compared to a plain burrito at $1.49. And they don't taste as good as they used to. Maybe it's me...

I remember when Lance Ito warned Marsha Clark, "Be careful what you ask for because you might get it." Disgruntled burger flippers might be well advised to consider... oh, wait, nevermind.

Without slogging through the socio-economics, I still wonder what uniquely valuable skill-sets a striking fast-food jockey with a high school diploma believes he/she offers that cannot be readily replaced by a machine or someone else with zero/minimal skills looking for a first, second (or twenty-seventh) gig.

Philosophically (in my mid-sixties and comfortably retired for a few years now), my closet sociologist can't help but notice men and women my age or older, sporting a burger joint uniform to wipe tables, restock ketchup packets and overstuff spring-loaded napkin bins to 50 psi. I won't assume I made better life choices than they did, just different (I started with a paper route and inched my way up). Maybe they have fat pensions and multiple options but need a reason to leave the house? On parole? No other skills? I don't know.

It also occurs to me that table wiping is probably the entry-level position there, and 18-25 year old Sparky slinging fries back in the "kitchen" earned that promotion by sticking around for 3-4 months. Familiar with HR rules, I should know better. But if it were up to me, any striking employee I saw waving a sign in front of my joint would be the first to go when I had to start replacing personnel with touchscreens.

Last Edited:
I remember when Lance Ito warned Marsha Clark, "Be careful what you ask for because you might get it." Disgruntled burger flippers might be well advised to consider... oh, wait, nevermind.

Without slogging through the socio-economics, I still wonder what uniquely valuable skill-sets a striking fast-food jockey with a high school diploma believes he/she offers that cannot be readily replaced by a machine or someone else with zero/minimal skills looking for a first, second (or twenty-seventh) gig.

Philosophically (in my mid-sixties and comfortably retired for a few years now), my closet sociologist can't help but notice men and women my age or older, sporting a burger joint uniform to wipe tables, restock ketchup packets and overstuff spring-loaded napkin bins to 50 psi. I won't assume I made better life choices than they did, just different (I started with a paper route and inched my way up). Maybe they have fat pensions and multiple options but need a reason to leave the house? On parole? No other skills? I don't know.

It also occurs to me that table wiping is probably the entry-level position there, and 18-25 year old Sparky slinging fries back in the "kitchen" earned that promotion by sticking around for 3-4 months. Familiar with HR rules, I should know better. But if it were up to me, any striking employee I saw waving a sign in front of my joint would be the first to go when I had to start replacing personnel with touchscreens.
I consider myself funny
But you win today!
Spot on

Good good.

Let them keep pushing for higher wages to the point they cannot be sustained and ultimately collapse. Soon they'll wonder why a few of them will have to take on more roles since the company cannot afford both a flipper and a cashier. Oh and the reduced hours will make them want $20 by then.

Yes yes, good plan keep asking for more until it completely vanishes.

Meanwhile, La Grande young folks are in a tizzy because the "warming station" for homeless lost it's grant, has a legal challenge to it's new location near residential housing, and will not open. Lesson = don't be homeless.

A young family I know has 4 family members, mom and 3 kids, all working at McD. When I asked the 4 child what she wanted to do when she graduated, she said "work at McD" . :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Lesson = if you want better pay or living wage, go to college, go to trade school, get some kind of skillz!!!

This is sadly becoming way too common. People are raised with the idea that they need to learn nothing because they are all owed a living. While jobs that pay VERY well go begging people want to make a "living wage" to know nothing and learn nothing. Meanwhile trade schools offer these kids a chance to make real money to learn a trade. They don't want that of course, takes some work. When Mom and Dads basement floods and they need to call a plumber the kids don't even see an opportunity when Mom and Dad tell them how much it cost to get a plumber to fix the problem. Just go back to the video games and scream they need $20 and hour to flip burgers. :s0054:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top