JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd heard that London has very strict standards for taxi drivers. The following is from Wikipedia.

"The London taxicab driver is required to be able to decide routes immediately in response to a passenger's request or traffic conditions, rather than stopping to look at a map, relying on satellite navigation or asking a controller by radio. Consequently, the "Knowledge of London" is the in-depth study of a number of pre-set London street routes and all places of interest that taxicab drivers in that city must complete to obtain a licence to operate a black cab. It was initiated in 1865, and has changed little since.
It is the world's most demanding training course for taxicab drivers, and applicants will usually need to pass at least twelve "appearances" (periodical one-on-one oral examinations undertaken throughout the qualification process), with the whole process usually averaging 34 months, to pass.

320 standard routes through central London, or "runs", are defined in the Guide to Learning the Knowledge of London, which is produced by the Public Carriage Office. In all, some 25,000 streets within a six-mile radius of Charing Cross are covered, along with the major arterial routes through the rest of London.

A taxicab-driver must learn these routes, as well as the "points of interest" along and within 1⁄2 mile (800 m) of each end of those routes including streets, squares, clubs, hospitals, hotels, theatres, embassies, government and public buildings, railway stations, police stations, courts, diplomatic buildings, important places of worship, cemeteries, crematoria, parks and open spaces, sports and leisure centres, places of learning, restaurants and historic buildings.

The Knowledge includes details such as the order of theatres on Shaftesbury Avenue, and the names and order of the side streets and traffic signals passed on a route.

There are a number of Knowledge Schools that provide books, maps and classroom tuition which help Knowledge students to learn the 320 runs and points of interest.[9] There are separate, shorter courses for suburban London, with 30 to 50 runs, depending on the sector.

During training, would-be cabbies, known as Knowledge boys or Knowledge girls, usually follow these routes around London on a motor scooter, and can be identified by the clipboard fixed to the handlebars and showing details of the streets to be learned that day.

Taxi-driver applicants must be 'of good character', meeting strict requirements regarding any criminal record, then first pass a written test which qualifies them to make an "appearance". At appearances, Knowledge boys and girls must, without looking at a map, identify the two points of interest in metropolitan London that their examiner chooses and then choose the shortest and most sensible route from one to the other. For each route, the applicants must recite the names of the roads used, when they cross junctions, use roundabouts, make turns, and what is 'alongside' them at each point."

That is a mystery to me too but, hey there was a market and someone was smart to fill it. Co worker was laughing about one of his kin ordering milk shakes delivered by Uber. There is a DQ less than a mile away but to them it was worth it to them to have it delivered. <shrug>
Some people are elderly or disabled or vision-impaired. Not everyone can drive. Or walk a mile. Or at all.

I'd heard that London has very strict standards for taxi drivers. The following is from Wikipedia.

"The London taxicab driver is required to be able to decide routes immediately in response to a passenger's request or traffic conditions, rather than stopping to look at a map, relying on satellite navigation or asking a controller by radio. Consequently, the "Knowledge of London" is the in-depth study of a number of pre-set London street routes and all places of interest that taxicab drivers in that city must complete to obtain a licence to operate a black cab. It was initiated in 1865, and has changed little since.
It is the world's most demanding training course for taxicab drivers, and applicants will usually need to pass at least twelve "appearances" (periodical one-on-one oral examinations undertaken throughout the qualification process), with the whole process usually averaging 34 months, to pass.

320 standard routes through central London, or "runs", are defined in the Guide to Learning the Knowledge of London, which is produced by the Public Carriage Office. In all, some 25,000 streets within a six-mile radius of Charing Cross are covered, along with the major arterial routes through the rest of London.

A taxicab-driver must learn these routes, as well as the "points of interest" along and within 1⁄2 mile (800 m) of each end of those routes including streets, squares, clubs, hospitals, hotels, theatres, embassies, government and public buildings, railway stations, police stations, courts, diplomatic buildings, important places of worship, cemeteries, crematoria, parks and open spaces, sports and leisure centres, places of learning, restaurants and historic buildings.

The Knowledge includes details such as the order of theatres on Shaftesbury Avenue, and the names and order of the side streets and traffic signals passed on a route.

There are a number of Knowledge Schools that provide books, maps and classroom tuition which help Knowledge students to learn the 320 runs and points of interest.[9] There are separate, shorter courses for suburban London, with 30 to 50 runs, depending on the sector.

During training, would-be cabbies, known as Knowledge boys or Knowledge girls, usually follow these routes around London on a motor scooter, and can be identified by the clipboard fixed to the handlebars and showing details of the streets to be learned that day.

Taxi-driver applicants must be 'of good character', meeting strict requirements regarding any criminal record, then first pass a written test which qualifies them to make an "appearance". At appearances, Knowledge boys and girls must, without looking at a map, identify the two points of interest in metropolitan London that their examiner chooses and then choose the shortest and most sensible route from one to the other. For each route, the applicants must recite the names of the roads used, when they cross junctions, use roundabouts, make turns, and what is 'alongside' them at each point."
Brain scans of London taxi drivers show enlargement of areas involved in spacial memory.

Brain scans of London taxi drivers show enlargement of areas involved in spacial memory.
Hell yes. Before the GPS came to be something everyone had some of these jobs took amazing abilities. Many decades back parents moved to a small town in NM. So small the police force was one man, that small. First trip out we are trying to find the place, not getting anywhere. We see a UPS driver at a place. Stop and ask him and he "oh, yes, go here, turn here................". When we got there I thought amazing that this guys knows every little nook and cranny of this area. Now of course they all have a screen showing them where to go. When Police first got all cars with a computer on the dash I used to hear many laugh at how it had ruined them. When the damn thing would break they had all but forgotten how to function without them :)
Remember the days of paper maps kept in the glove box? I sometimes laugh at it now when I think back to having to pull over and look at one. Have gotten so used to the phone now. If I am not sure were something is just ask the phone and it takes me there:D

I'm having a hard time understanding the concept of unionized fast food joints. And "long time employees" at fast food joints. If these entitled pukes want bigger paychecks, they need to get better skills and/or work more hours. I work 50 hour week minimums, up to 75 hour weeks at my paychecks reflect that. Therefore, I can afford to live just fine. And that's how life goes for working America
Good for you. Really, do you think it's cool to work 75 hours per week or perhaps slightly less. You are being taken advantage of and in
time your health, mental and physical, will suffer because of these extremes.

No.... Pretty sure I'm not. I volunteer for those hours. I could work 40 hour weeks but I enjoy the inflated paychecks, I enjoy my job on the whole as well as the lifestyle I can afford because of my choices. Go urinate in someone else's Cheerios. Want fries with that?

One of the games that cabbies used to play, at Quality Pie across from Good Sam or the Hot cake House on Powell, was four corners. A driver would call out an intersection. The other drivers would call out the businesses on all four corners.

"You are being taken advantage of and in time your health, mental and physical, ..."

Ah yes, the doobie smokers philosophy...

However, some folks enjoy both working and earning while feeling a sense of accomplishment as doing so 'adds' health benefits for them and their family.

Some people are elderly or disabled or vision-impaired. Not everyone can drive. Or walk a mile. Or at all.

My wife and I are lucky. Tho we don't live near enough to walk for a milkshake, if we wanted we could take Dial-a-ride, Community Connection bus line, ask a neighbor, or ask a friend... I just don't have the extra $$$ luxury to have fast food or treats brought to me.

"You are being taken advantage of and in time your health, mental and physical, ..."

Ah yes, the doobie smokers philosophy...

However, some folks enjoy both working and earning while feeling a sense of accomplishment as doing so 'adds' health benefits for them and their family.

In my working life, the contract (usually an unwritten one) between myself and my employer was understood to mean that I traded hours, effort, my skills, and my brains, for dollars. If I didn't like it, I was free not to do it. Stay home and starve. Or more likely, camp out and starve. The employer and the company had to benefit from my being there, or I wouldn't be there very long. So I understood that there was an obligation on my part to do the right thing for the company, and on their part to pay me for it. It's a simple arrangement that some people don't seem to get, or maybe they insist on twisting it around.

I worked overtime, or extra hours, because that's what the company needed. Unlike in my younger days, when I worked for AT&T and was part of the Communications Workers of America union, and it wasn't optional. As part of the union contract, I either did it or I would have to find a new job. But again, I was there voluntarily and I made a higher dollar than others not similarly employed as part of the trade off.

What I'm saying is that employers take advantage of their workers in the same way that workers take advantage of their employers. It's all trade offs, and it's all voluntary at the "work or don't work" level. It's a free market capitalist wage system.

Wanna work endless hours for peanuts?? Try working for yourself in a small business. You learn that you do what you have to in order to be successful or your business dies. You are a slave driver to yourself. And you learn that if you don't like having a boss, now every single customer is your boss!!!

but, but, but, man working for a living?

Ya gotta be kiddin...

Who needs dignity, food, shelter and housing?

Oh right, us horrible Capitalist workers, that's who!

My grandson is full of the unfair this or that talk... he was on salary and worked extra hours, usually again the rules unless it's an exempt worker, but he figured since he worked extra hours he didn't have to show up for work sometimes. He found out different when they fired him recently. And he's got a family with a wife that doesn't work and four kids, the youngest in first grade. He's all over FaceBook with excuses and how unfair it was and how they are going to miss him, etc. But he's burned thru so many employers in this small town that he can't find another job. Sorry Bud!!! That's where all that stupid "unfair" talk gets you... the unemployment line. Which he can't collect because, yet again, he was fired for cause.

My grandson is full of the unfair this or that talk... he was on salary and worked extra hours, usually again the rules unless it's an exempt worker, but he figured since he worked extra hours he didn't have to show up for work sometimes. He found out different when they fired him recently. And he's got a family with a wife that doesn't work and four kids, the youngest in first grade. He's all over FaceBook with excuses and how unfair it was and how they are going to miss him, etc. But he's burned thru so many employers in this small town that he can't find another job. Sorry Bud!!! That's where all that stupid "unfair" talk gets you... the unemployment line. Which he can't collect because, yet again, he was fired for cause.

Well, lucky or not, he has those kids. I get the idea if you have kids that all you have to do is go to the correct gov agency and hold your hand out, and they put money in it? Seems that way in potland? A goodly amount of the money that comes into the large chain grocery store Wifey works at has oregon trail card with free money. The more kids you have, the more money is on those cards.

Which he can't collect because, yet again, he was fired for cause.

And this, in potland any way.....A 15 or so year subordinate of Wifey's was fired after they determined he received close to $2000.00 in free Starbuck's drinks over a period of time. A lot of time poring over store receipts and video footage. Weeks! Classic "Sweethearting". He was fired and went for unemployment. It took him several months, but they gave it too him. He had kids from three different mama's, and was already on some kind of assistance. So there you go.

Buy any of the plastic tube wrapped burger at Walmart or Grocery Outlet and you will observe the same effect. It's tough, has grissle in it, and tastes like I'd expect horse meat to taste.

IMO the "discomfort" is more an effect of the additives and crap in the sauces, on the lettuce, tomato, or in the prepacked patties, taco meat, etc, things like: "A whole host of preservatives fall into these categories: sulfites, propionates, benzoates, nitrates, chelates.... These have all been approved for use by the FDA, and are generally considered to be safe. Still, calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid isn't exactly the most appetizing-sounding addition to your diet."
Actually, a hirs

Unionized government employees are the huge problem. You can avoid fat food chains Can't avoid the unionized government employee crime gang

I'm not a fan of unions. I belonged to one and didn't like it. I'm especially not a fan of gov employee unions. But I'm really really really not a fan of labeling an entire group of workers, some of which have no choice in whether or not they belong to a union, as a "crime gang".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top