JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Striking UAW auto workers want 4-day, 32-hour workweek for same pay as 5 day workweek.

Is this going to kill US Auto industry? are these people serious?

What do you think of this? is it fine and justified or is it insanity?

My attitude - its insanity and if they keep at it they should all be replaced for letting the communistic UAW push them in this direction.

Right or wrong that is my take as of now.

I am 65 and so are my work ethics, I believe if you want to get ahead in the world you work for it.

2 yrs ago I moved from wa state to MI for family reasons. So far its been good. But, these people embarrass me.

I live about 40 miles west of Detroit and there are auto industry related small business all around me.

Well since there is a LOT of manufacturing going on it sure sounds like what they are trying to do is price themselves right out of a job. If they do? They will learn a lesson in be careful what you ask for. I understand why they are pissed at the cost of everything going sky high. What they of course do not want to hear is that the people their union told them to vote for did that to them. :s0092:

Shareholders want this, Short term it raises auto prices even more, Long term it moves more facilities out of the country.
If the people who own them want this why fight it? They would just give them what they want. Raise the price of the cars they make and it just drives customers to the ones made by others. Also is going to drive manufacturing to more places that are not part of the Union. So I can see the companies using this to justify the expense of moving more of the manufacturing to other states. Should be fun the watch the people who find themselves with no jobs as they find some way to blame people who had nothing to do with this.

I love how people scream "work ethic" because people want to better their own lives and increase the amount of time they spend with their families.

Most those same people bubblegum about "kids these days..."

Seems like having parents home more often with more money in their pockets would improve the quality of youths.

I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to spend less time at work, make more money and have better lives. The big 3 make plenty of money off their backs as it is and continue to jack up prices no matter what. The blue collar class might as well get what they can, when they can and they have the opportunity to do that right now. Go for it!

I finally got to go to a four day work week this year after working 24 years straight at five days a week. It's been awesome and it was definitely an improvement in quality of life. That being said I now have to be to work at 5:30 and work tens to compensate for that extra day off a week I get, but it's SO worth it. I had some members in my union that voted against it because their vacation would now come out as hourly and they'd lose vacation days, even though they were literally getting 52 more days off a year! Stupidity knows no bounds!!! It's just another example of leading a horse to water but you can't make them drink. As for the UAW, I think they'd better be careful not to contract themselves out of a job. The cost of living is definitely increasing with all the inflation and something has to give, but less hours isn't going to fly IMO.

I finally got to go to a four day work week this year after working 24 years straight at five days a week. It's been awesome and it was definitely an improvement in quality of life. That being said I now have to be to work at 5:30 and work tens to compensate for that extra day off a week I get, but it's SO worth it. I had some members in my union that voted against it because their vacation would now come out as hourly and they'd lose vacation days, even though they were literally getting 52 more days off a year! Stupidity knows no bounds!!! It's just another example of leading a horse to water but you can't make them drink. As for the UAW, I think they'd better be careful not to contract themselves out of a job. The cost of living is definitely increasing with all the inflation and something has to give, but less hours isn't going to fly IMO.
10 and 12 hour shifts I LOVE doing since it means more time off. From what I "heard" is these guys want to work 32 hours and get paid for 40. If this is really what this is all about its the same old "I want someone to give me stuff" syndrome. They are if this is really what they want just going to drive work to other places where there is no union. So if they get what they are asking for and lose their jobs? The crying will begin. :s0092:

40 percent pay raises are ludicrous. I've seen the assembly lines at the new plants, and these guys are putting Legos together, period. It's not 1975 where people are building cars by hand, as 70 percent is now robotics. Most UAW assembly line workers make $40 to $60 and hour plus bennies.

This is coming from a veteran mechanic who currently has a car on order. Someone give me a Ronald Reagan in here, fire them all and replace them. Crap like this is why cars are so damn expensive

My second or third car was an ancient Rambler, 3 on the tree. Traded an $80 shotgun for it. I only ever made payments on a car for like six months in my life.

4 days at 32 hour weeks have been successful in Europe. Many people scoffed at it but production went up.

I don't see America adopting such things that's why the people in control are letting the border be flooded with young men. And campaigning to get these illegals to work as fast as possible.

4 days at 32 hour weeks have been successful in Europe. Many people scoffed at it but production went up.

I don't see America adopting such things that's why the people in control are letting the border be flooded with young men. And campaigning to get these illegals to work as fast as possible.
They're all on the dole, working under the table and sending the money back home.
Etc. etc.

If say, 1000 workers on a 40 hour week becomes 1250 workers on a 32 hour week… union collects dues from 25% more members, plus however much more in their dues% of whatever pay increase is negotiated.

Union Incorporated then has more money to buy politicians. :s0155:

Used to work the 4/10 shifts at a machine shop up in Sherwood, and a few other places. There was also the 3/12 shift locally for special needs adults as Direct Support Professionals. Point is... 3-4 day work weeks already exist in some industries, just it's the #of hours :rolleyes:

Edit. Eh here's what I remember from the DSP job.

36 hours week= "full time" but Overtime doesn't kick in until 40 hours+ :s0140:

My take.....

I usually buy Japanese, but I considered a 14th Gen F-150 to replace my dead-nuts reliable 2007 Nissan Titan.
In 2020, the 14th Gen F-150 I was looking at was a Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 XLT with 501. About $53k. Fast forward to now, it's a nearly $62k truck, AND they removed options due to "supply issues". So, I gave up.

The new Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon trucks are ridiculously expensive, and the prior gen you could get crew cab or extended cab, long bed or short bed, diesel or gas V6. Now??? Only Crew Cab gas short bed for a ridiculous price.

40% pay increase? Go eff yourselves. I haven't seen a pay raise in 8 years, and I work in the government AND union.
I DO agree with them wanting to bring back COLAs and pensions. But, I must say, US auto workers suck. SavageGeese was reviewing the brand new S650 Mustang GT, they had it up on their lift and they found BOTH tie rod locknuts loose. Dude, how TF are you going to send out cars with steering components loose?

I like my older cars. But, after an accident, they are irreplaceable. The Obama admin did the whole "Cash for Clunkers" deal which decimated junkyards and RUINED the used car market. We have 3 vehicles over 10 years old, one is 20 years old. They are, no joking, irreplaceable, I can't find equivalent specimens for the same price I paid for them many years ago.

Oh, BTW, anyone beating the drum of "Buy American!!!!" is an idiot in regards to vehicles. The Big 3 would throw every one of us under the bus for a 1% increase in margins. They actively pursue outsourcing. I lived in China, a city called WuXi, and Ford opened a JV plant there to manufacture cast and molded parts for US production. Our "US made" vehicles are assembled with foreign parts, the Chinese content in a Mustang since the early 2000's is ridiculous.....cast engine parts, transmissions, harnesses, electronics....disgusting.
I can totally see the big 3 giving up on US manufacturing, and foreign/Asian companies continuing because they avoided unions.

It's a death spiral. Cost of living goes up because few things are made here, now the unions want to get Starbucks employees involved. Whatever....my biggest fear is that these soon-to-be-unemployed union employees will begin looking to taxpayers to subsidize their lives.....

When my late father was looking at the then-new Dodge Chargers in the show room, I had the gall to ask the salesman if they could get us a fleet-spec v8 Charger :s0140: (it was the same that taxis and police Chargers were based on).. unfortunately at that time one could not get just the V8/performance package without also getting the entire "premium" entertainment option, the "premium leather interior", and the "premium wheel and performance tire " packages all at once :mad: no options to delete

I also want a 4 day 32 hour week that pays like a 5 day 50 hour week. Can't really blame them for asking
In the late 90's we had this same situation. LOT of jobs. I was making over the scale for the Union job I was in. I a few times I went to the boss and said I was letting him know I was talking to other employer's and using him as reference. When he asked me if I was quitting I said no but, had to see what offers were there and did not want him to get a call and not know. I was perfectly happy where I was. I would suddenly get another "merit increase" as that was the only way for me to make more money. That was asking. Walking off the job is BEGGING to be replaced. This is another be careful what you ask for, you may get it. Those who walked off are begging to be replaced. If they are they will of course scream, cry, throw a temper tantrum and want gov to step in and "fix it" for them. We all know how that goes. :s0092:

In the late 90's we had this same situation. LOT of jobs. I was making over the scale for the Union job I was in. I a few times I went to the boss and said I was letting him know I was talking to other employer's and using him as reference. When he asked me if I was quitting I said no but, had to see what offers were there and did not want him to get a call and not know. I was perfectly happy where I was. I would suddenly get another "merit increase" as that was the only way for me to make more money. That was asking. Walking off the job is BEGGING to be replaced. This is another be careful what you ask for, you may get it. Those who walked off are begging to be replaced. If they are they will of course scream, cry, throw a temper tantrum and want gov to step in and "fix it" for them. We all know how that goes. :s0092:
Ok. Bottom line is, they know what they want and they're trying to get it. May have unintended consequences, IDK. Don't really care how it goes for them, either.

YEP! The same people those union people voted for are flooding the place with the cheap labor who is going to be taking jobs they walked off from. Then when they are out of work they will look at what has become and blame those who were not even in charge and look to the same people to again "save them". :(

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews