JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Really? This company offered these folks $1 and hour increase but they demand $5 an hour to survive in Portland. Maybe it's me but if you can't afford to live in Portland, and who can? MOVE!
This is a non-skilled job and supposed to be an entry level position into the workforce. It was never meant to provide for a family or the high cost of living in Portland.
In the 80's, the Bay area became SO expensive due to Silicon Valley boom that the wife & I packed up the family and relocated to the central valley.
We found jobs and and a economy we could thrive in . These idiots want to live where they want to live and demand WE pay for it. Because, and i'm using logic here, who ultimately pays for this salary increase? Surprise, you & I. Give these burger flippers the boot and take your company out of Portland. :mad:

When my wife and I moved up here, we moved blindly into downtown (southwest side) into a place that was ~1500 for 500 square feet...per month. We quickly got out of that and found a place that was ~600 square feet for ~1200 per month (it's even pricier now). Yes, we quickly got out of that one too and found a much nicer, bigger, and cheaper place in the 'burbs.

All that was just a few years ago. I'm considered mid level verging on senior in my field of expertise and, when looking at jobs here, they're pay was depressing (compared to where we came from: Phoenix). Like the job market here was still paying wages from 10 years ago or more while the city was charging up-to-date prices.

To this day, I still don't understand who is living downtown or where they work.

They are associated with the IWW? Thought the Wobblies pretty much died along with Eugene Debs
in 1926. Other than the 4 Burgervilles, anybody have any info how big a footprint this
risen-from-the-dead labor movement has established? I'm not finding much outside of Portland.

I'm having a hard time understanding the concept of unionized fast food joints. And "long time employees" at fast food joints. If these entitled pukes want bigger paychecks, they need to get better skills and/or work more hours. I work 50 hour week minimums, up to 75 hour weeks at my paychecks reflect that. Therefore, I can afford to live just fine. And that's how life goes for working America

"We are proud of this strike and are in awe of the courage displayed by all our coworkers today," a statement from the workers union reads. "But we are disappointed that the struggle at Burgerville has come to this. In the almost year and a half of contract negotiations, we have made a great deal of progress: from tips and holiday pay to protections for undocumented workers."

So is this saying if your in the country illegally you'd be safe working at Boogerville? :rolleyes:

Hey, maybe the folks standing on street corners and freeway on ramps will get together and strike? After all it's not fair to them...something must be unfair to them? I'll bet they could get Teddy wheeler to be a spokesman. o_O

I have no clue about this business, so I ask is this strike being done by fast food workers akin say to McDonald's?

If so, one of the reasons people eat fast food is low cost, right?

If these folks are unskilled i.e., burger flippers and their demands are met, won't the biggest attraction (my opinion) of fast food being low cost, sky rocket?

I for one won't pay for sit down restaurant prices for a burger and fries. To heck with that...

They're shooting themselves in the foot.

And, if the prices don't go up because they fire a large percentage of workers to keep burgers inexpensive than that makes cleanliness an even greater risk for the consumer.

The very occasional burger will be a thing of the past for me and the unskilled worker needs to work on getting a skill cuz I won't be alone in my reaction.

I worked at Burgerville for a bit when I was in college (122nd Stark.) It was there that I learned what NA was; the entire place was filled with felons. Never before had I been around such a large group of idiots. I quit and made way more money flipping vehicles on CL.

I have no clue about this business, so I ask is this strike being done by fast food workers akin say to McDonald's?

If so, one of the reasons people eat fast food is low cost, right?

If these folks are unskilled i.e., burger flippers and their demands are met, won't the biggest attraction (my opinion) of fast food being low cost, sky rocket?

I for one won't pay for sit down restaurant prices for a burger and fries. To heck with that...

They're shooting themselves in the foot.

And, if the prices don't go up because they fire a large percentage of workers to keep burgers inexpensive than that makes cleanliness an even greater risk for the consumer.

The very occasional burger will be a thing of the past for me and the unskilled worker needs to work on getting a skill cuz I won't be alone in my reaction.

Yes. The current political leaders have convinced the low info public that corporations have huge buildings all over the country that are stuffed with money. Tons, hundreds of tons, of money they will never be able to use. And these poor worker deserve much more of that money.

Heres your $5 raise

55C40929-9BB7-4D44-9820-6C9580BF4F04.jpeg

Felons work at burger joints?

Ewwwwww

Never crossed my mind, cah-rapp!

Forget about higher burger costs, I'd never considered this group cooking for the public and no doubt they work at burger joints all over the U.S. - I've eaten my last burger....no matter how much love 'felons' currently enjoy...ick!!

Really? This company offered these folks $1 and hour increase but they demand $5 an hour to survive in Portland. Maybe it's me but if you can't afford to live in Portland, and who can? MOVE!
This is a non-skilled job and supposed to be an entry level position into the workforce. It was never meant to provide for a family or the high cost of living in Portland.
In the 80's, the Bay area became SO expensive due to Silicon Valley boom that the wife & I packed up the family and relocated to the central valley.
We found jobs and and a economy we could thrive in . These idiots want to live where they want to live and demand WE pay for it. Because, and i'm using logic here, who ultimately pays for this salary increase? Surprise, you & I. Give these burger flippers the boot and take your company out of Portland. :mad:

Meanwhile, La Grande young folks are in a tizzy because the "warming station" for homeless lost it's grant, has a legal challenge to it's new location near residential housing, and will not open. Lesson = don't be homeless.

A young family I know has 4 family members, mom and 3 kids, all working at McD. When I asked the 4 child what she wanted to do when she graduated, she said "work at McD" . :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Lesson = if you want better pay or living wage, go to college, go to trade school, get some kind of skillz!!!

To this day, I still don't understand who is living downtown or where they work.

Good question... many of the ones I've seen look like they don't work. But I'd bet a lot of those work in local boutique's etc.

I'm a garbage gut type, I love fast food. But the prices are going up to where I can only afford the "value menu" items. Plain burritos at Taco Bomb or Taco Tim, McDouble, etc.

You walk into a McD and there is nobody at the counter to take your order. You look at the menu and most of the burgers are in excess of $8 for a meal.

McD is making oodles off the value menu and couldn't survive without it since reports show that is their most popular items! It's also their worst items. Hard to beat a large soda for $1 tho. That said, the automated ordering system is the worst! It takes 5 minutes to work thru all the choices to get a simple meal. Counter person coulda done it in 30sec. This is another reason we should be unhappy with demands for higher wage for burger flippers!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews