JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could you smell crank cooking?
I did score pretty hard on CL once. I was going over the C&R forum on Calguns when a thread popped up "Nam bring back SKS on CL get it before it's pulled." I called the fella before they pulled the ad. Guy was selling it for the vet's widow. Hooked up at the trailer park, met the widow, she just wanted it gone and only said "He brought it back from over there.". Got it for dirt, hunnerd bucks. I didn't ask about any paperwork and the near empty 1/2gallon jug of Vodka prompted my hasty retreat. PAX
Right serial range, matching numbers (stock too) except bolt carrier which is common for a bring back.

Venting more than anything since I drove nearly 50 miles round trip.

Found what I thought was a good deal on CL. Hit up the guy, told him I was going to stop by, he said ok. Sounds easy enough right?

Got to his place, texted him and waited about 5 minutes. He responds with "?". So now I'm like WTF is this the right address? I called him and he picks up, confirmed that this was the correct address, he said yes........and then a long pause.

He goes "You know how this works right? You come to the door." Mind you he never came outside, I never saw him once, and the door never opened. There are very few times where I'm speechless and this was one of them. I've done hundreds of transaction through this forum, other sites including CL and never once has anyone told me to come to the door without at least coming out with a courtesy greet.

I told him I wasn't going to knock on some random door. That is just sketchy as f*&k. At least come outside as a courtesy so I know it's the right house and what you look like. He then said something, something, something you f-ing freak and to leave then hung up. All that in a span of 30 seconds. WOW......I'm still in disbelief.......like did that really just happened?

I wasted almost 2 hours and 50 miles worth of gas to be called a freak.......I need a drink......

Ya, I think I know why it's such a good deal and still up on CL even after a month of being listed......don't think I'm the first and pretty sure I'm not going to be the last. With that kind of attitude......ya good luck buddy. You're going to piss off the wrong person for absolutely no reason and now they know where you live. Not a very smart way to do business.

Anyways, time for that drink.....
At least it was only 50 miles, I've had worse flakes. Here's where you learn not to deal with Facebook for anything less than $75, even if you're trying to sell. Just donate it out and get on with your life, or eat the cost to avoid the headache

I did a couple of no-contact honor system buy for 50.00. The person left the item on the porch and I put the money in his Ridwell box or under the door mat. It all worked out great. Nobody's time got wasted. I learned from that and did the same thing selling inexpensive items under 100.00. So, I don't understand what's the issue. You get to examine the item before paying. Besides, there are cameras everywhere

to keep

Yes, sadly this issue is not relegated to CL either, I have had deals on this very forum go south because they wanted me to go into a stranger's house in a bad part of town with hundreds of dollars in my pockets and refused to meet in a public location. Whenever this occurs they also try to shame you by saying you're the weird one for not wanting to put yourself in an obviously bad situation. Extremely shady.

Yes, sadly this issue is not relegated to CL either, I have had deals on this very forum go south because they wanted me to go into a stranger's house in a bad part of town with hundreds of dollars in my pockets and refused to meet in a public location. Whenever this occurs they also try to shame you by saying you're the weird one for not wanting to put yourself in an obviously bad situation. Extremely shady.
Good to know even though I'm in the middle of one haha!

So far I've given an email and venmo user and they still want my phone number... without given me a shipping address yet for a sale. It goes both ways for trust and these younguns are all sus

Venting more than anything since I drove nearly 50 miles round trip.

Found what I thought was a good deal on CL. Hit up the guy, told him I was going to stop by, he said ok. Sounds easy enough right?

Got to his place, texted him and waited about 5 minutes. He responds with "?". So now I'm like WTF is this the right address? I called him and he picks up, confirmed that this was the correct address, he said yes........and then a long pause.

He goes "You know how this works right? You come to the door." Mind you he never came outside, I never saw him once, and the door never opened. There are very few times where I'm speechless and this was one of them. I've done hundreds of transaction through this forum, other sites including CL and never once has anyone told me to come to the door without at least coming out with a courtesy greet.

I told him I wasn't going to knock on some random door. That is just sketchy as f*&k. At least come outside as a courtesy so I know it's the right house and what you look like. He then said something, something, something you f-ing freak and to leave then hung up. All that in a span of 30 seconds. WOW......I'm still in disbelief.......like did that really just happened?

I wasted almost 2 hours and 50 miles worth of gas to be called a freak.......I need a drink......

Ya, I think I know why it's such a good deal and still up on CL even after a month of being listed......don't think I'm the first and pretty sure I'm not going to be the last. With that kind of attitude......ya good luck buddy. You're going to piss off the wrong person for absolutely no reason and now they know where you live. Not a very smart way to do business.

Anyways, time for that drink.....

V 4 Cascade I am really sorry you had to go through that bull crap! I swear some people these days! It's possible the guy was mentally challenged with Asperger's disease or something and just doesn't know how to communicate well with others. Still neither here or there it's still very frustrating to have wasted time and money for nothing. However I do want to ask if you could divulge what ad it was that you found on Craigslist? Just so myself and everyone else reading this can learn from your experience. At least you'll be saving any future buyers from worst case scenario actually walk into what sounded like a very creepy house and scene! Anyways I thought I would at least ask, if your not comfortable sharing I completely understand. Thanks for sharring it's possible you're saving someone from making a big mistake going to such a place. That story gave me the heebeegeebee's lol

Last house I sold I rented ten 40 cu yard roll off dumpsters and just threw out everything I didn't want to pay to store.

Coulda got an 11th dumpster but settled for just putting the remainder of my stuff out on the curb--It all disappeared overnight

Scratching my head and wondering what the fuss is about. I've sold a ton of tools and household items, especially after my father in law passed away. I could certainly meet someone at the garage door, but think it's just plain strange for someone to be paranoid about knocking on someone's front door. If someone drove all that way and was scared to get out of the car to inspect a table saw, router, or some other tool, I really wouldn't want to deal with them. Did you expect the guy to bring the item out to you so you could inspect it in your car? Just sounds odd to me.

Scratching my head and wondering what the fuss is about...
Me either, it's part of the show....flakes abound, just have to know how navigate through the nut jobs. If you don't you can't score like I did with the SKS. I've got a ton of ammo, bows and backpacking gear too, all for dirt. The legit CLister just wants the crap gone and it goes fast. Like searching the various gun forum marketplaces, the early bird get the worm. When I was at the peak of collecting, I cruised everywhere 5 times a day, followed threads like "Got a cheap Paratrooper for $200 but I don't like non milsurp,"... me the next post "Wanna make a quick hunnerd bucks?" That's worked 3 out of 4 times :confused: Strike while the iron is hot. PAX

Last Edited:
Good to know even though I'm in the middle of one haha!

So far I've given an email and venmo user and they still want my phone number... without given me a shipping address yet for a sale. It goes both ways for trust and these younguns are all sus
Venmo uses phone numbers for confirmation during transaction.

You 942 prefix holder you.

I arranged to buy a camping stove on CL. I offered $20 under asking price and the seller agreed. We set a date and time to meet at her house 20 miles from me.
She texted me one hour before our meeting telling me that she sold it someone else, who offered her full price. I told her that we had made a deal, but she said she didn't promise it to me. I just replied to that text with "I hate Craigslist".

Venmo uses phone numbers for confirmation during transaction.

You 942 prefix holder you.
^^^ This^^^
There are more than a few times I've paid for something immediately after talking to the seller so it doesn't get sold out from under me, especially from forum members. If it needs to be mailed, Venmo or Zelle are quick and simple. They also work well when meeting someone if you don't want to carry cash.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top