JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know where a Stoeger Coach gun in 410 is locally but not sure if it's still for sale. If you decide to go the 410 route let me know and I will see if my friend is still vacationing or not.

I have a J-2000 SxS that leans in the corner by my bed with plastic wrap over the barrels w/ a rubber band on it (Texas dust you know!). Not the only thing but gets me to the next one in line.

and what happens when an old person down in Corvallis fires an AR inside their home in self defence?
how far will that bullet go?

Not very far if they are using the right ammunition. Plenty of ammo brands that make perfect home defense ammo. Not really an issue.
^^^^THIS^^^^

While talking about shotgun loads, has anybody tried either the frangible buckshot or frangible slugs? So many interesting loads out there.
I have Winchester PDX1 pre-scored/segmented slugs in my 12ga HD shotgun... but I haven't shot anybody with them............................... yet.

...I have Winchester PDX1 pre-scored/segmented slugs in my 12ga HD shotgun... but I haven't shot anybody with them............................... yet.
I've seen videos of the frangible stuff and when it hits a hard surface like a wall it just turns to dust. Interesting but I've never tried it.
8224DEF9-3599-4300-A652-5EE59442890E.jpeg
A65F9711-B3E9-4FEE-9921-308D081ACDCD.jpeg

I had an elderly friend who kept Ruger Mk2 with a loaded clip and empty chamber. Regardless of how anyone feels about .22LR, ten of them in a row is lethal enough.

The upside is that the light recoil spring made the bolt/slide easy to operate, the lack of real recoil and SA trigger made it easy to shoot accurately without much practice and it was a handgun - so it could be brought to the door without being conspicuous or alarming to people.

Go with some vision of a carbine, either pistol caliber or rifle. A shotgun is a weapon that requires expert knowledge and practice. Even more so than a pistol. reloading is much harder and the spread that you get is mostly meaningless in a home defense context. Seriously, preferred choice for home defense is a 300BLK Ar pistol with an 8.5" barrel. It's small, light, can mount a light and optic yet provides three points of contact for better handling and accuracy, a 30 round mag, and simple reloads.

Good quality, 16" 9mm carbine equipped with light and red dot. Low recoil, lower noise and concussion, lightweight, and easy to make accurate hits with. If their Glock pistol is a 9mm, get a carbine that uses Glock mags so those are compatible with both weapons.

I had an elderly friend who kept Ruger Mk2 with a loaded clip and empty chamber. Regardless of how anyone feels about .22LR, ten of them in a row is lethal enough.
I believe it was our own Andy54Hawken, who stated ANY THING you have to defend yourself is better than nothing at all.
If all you have is a .22LR snubbie or a .410 break action single shot, don't curl up in the fetal position and wait for the inevitable, because prevailing opinion is that they're poor performers.
USE IT.
ANY protection is better than none at all and no form of protection is inferior.

What caliber and model Glock did they buy?

If they need to use it will most likely be at close range maybe at 12-15 feet at the most, or the length of their rooms in their home. Are they practicing/ shooting at that distance?
Are they able to short inside of a 12 inch paper plate?

What caliber and model Glock did they buy?

If they need to use it will most likely be at close range maybe at 12-15 feet at the most, or the length of their rooms in their home. Are they practicing/ shooting at that distance?
Are they able to short inside of a 12 inch paper plate?
As the OP wrote...
however they don't put in a lot of range time, and when I was with them they were pretty inaccurate with it
I get the feeling trying to convince them to start frequenting the range more often is not going to work, which is why he suggested a shotgun.
However, he's second guessing himself now and is just looking for some assurance from the collective here, that he gave his parents sound advice.
I believe he did.

Just my two cents, but a Mossberg 500 series basic pump action 12 ga with one of the OpSol inserts that will allow the 1.75 in. mini shell to cycle reliably would be a good option. Federal has started making them which are hotter than the Agulia mini shell, but would still have little to no recoil, the biggest problem would be if the shotgun was too heavy for them to operate safely. Otherwise I think it's a great option for any defender, it's what I have stationed bed side.

I believe it was our own Andy54Hawken, who stated ANY THING you have to defend yourself is better than nothing at all.
If all you have is a .22LR snubbie or a .410 break action single shot, don't curl up in the fetal position and wait for the inevitable, because prevailing opinion is that they're poor performers.
USE IT.
ANY protection is better than none at all and no form of protection is inferior.
Yep...I have said that....:D
Andy

Yep...I have said that....:D
Andy
granted - but you also have to think about the people who live around you
select your self defense weapon based on your environment
I've been down to my daughters home in Portland I would not use an AR 15 for self defense in her neighborhood
I would not even use one for self defense on my property, I have limited corridors of fire for an AR 15, the likelihood an intruder would be in one of those is slim
as many know, I wouldn't even fire into my orchard due to my old Wolf River Apple tree
.38+P is not going to damage that old tree much, but a 5.56 will
and if I put a hole in my wifes Subaru, there would be no end to that Hell

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top