JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, What is the Best Home Defense Ammo for a Mossberg Shockwave?

Birdshot? Slugs? (I wouldn't think so, but) Tell me what you think...
It depends on your situation - I have buckshot and slugs - but I am in the boonies.

I will say that you probably do NOT want 3" magnum loads - the recoil is significantly increased compared to 2.75" - if you decide to ever try them, hang on to the foregrip and use that strap as the recoil will likely cause you to loose your grip on it.

I will say that you probably do NOT want 3" magnum loads - the recoil is significantly increased compared to 2.75" - if you decide to ever try them, hang on to the foregrip and use that strap as the recoil will likely cause you to loose your grip on it.
T'was a joke my friend. I did it once on a pistol grip 12 gauge and said "dumbest design ever". Yeah, there is an actual technique, but this was pre internet (remember what those times were like?)

So, What is the Best Home Defense Ammo for a Mossberg Shockwave?

Birdshot? Slugs? (I wouldn't think so, but) Tell me what you think...
Whatever you get should be able to penetrate 12-18" into ballistic gel. Here's a quick breakdown of common mini shell performance in ballistic gel:

I run #4 shorties in mine, but I also live in a suburb with neighbors on all sides, so over-penetration is a concern. If that weren't the case, I would probably be running 2-3/4" 00 buck. I don't see a whole lot of value in slug for home defense, mainly because it'll over-penetrate (even the shorties), but each to their own. Do some research and pick one that you think works best for your particular situation.

I just use plain 'ol 2.75" #4 buckshot.
that's what i run also
recoil is controllable with this load
I have a bandoleer loaded with 20 #4 sitting with the Shockwave

shockwave with bandolier.jpg

Get the adapter and shoot the shorty rounds. Mine loved them and they are much better for recoil.

Shorties are the way to go. Main reason is increased capacity. As far as loads -- Birdshot will only piss the intruder off. Slugs will go thru the intruder, your wall and the neighbors wall. Buckshot is the way to go. I load my Shockwave so the first one out is birdshot, to get their attention, possibly scare them off and avoid major damage to my home. After that comes 8 rounds of 00 buck. Just my opinion.

Shorties are the way to go. Main reason is increased capacity. As far as loads -- Birdshot will only piss the intruder off. Slugs will go thru the intruder, your wall and the neighbors wall. Buckshot is the way to go. I load my Shockwave so the first one out is birdshot, to get their attention, possibly scare them off and avoid major damage to my home. After that comes 8 rounds of 00 buck. Just my opinion.
I have the adapter but found the shorty rounds are twice the price of 2 3/4" shells and very restrictive in loads
also they have fewer pellets - more capacity doesn't mean more pellets on target
I find the shockwave very controllable with 2 3/4" shells and if you can't get it done with 6 rnds of #4 buck, fall back and call in an airstrike
but it's a personal preference

I have 00 Buckshot in mine, but I have slugs in the sheath.

I have large (2-3' diameter) trees on 3-4 sides of my house (the side facing the road has trees, but not as many), 100 yard to the nearest neighbors. I also have cougars and bears that have been seen around our properties.

Huh. It was only this past Monday that I learned what a "shockwave" shotgun is. At a meeting of the gun club where I'm a member, it was mentioned that these are not allowed on our range. Hence my ignorance (on at least that one, minor point) was relieved. These used to be called, "sawed off shotguns."

pistol grip 12 gauge and said "dumbest design ever"
Yeah, never mind on "shock wave" design, by experience of ownership I've discovered that I do not like pistol grips on shotguns. Briefly, I had a Remington 870 police type shotgun with such a stock, and found that I didn't care for it. Probably okay for breaching doors, etc., but in my hands not good for general shotgunnery.

I've also picked up a couple of those New England Firearms "Survivor" single shots. Those have a hollow butt stock for storage of handy survival items. They also incorporate a surrounded pistol grip. Good (gimmicky) idea, not for shooting. To cock the hammer, you have to remove your hand from the grip to do so. It's inconvenient and semi-unsafe, in my opinion. I'm shopping for a conventional butt stock for one of those to return it to a fun shooting state. I'm not likely to be dropped into the Alaska wilderness and need those handy items stored ready at hand in the butt stock.

When I bought mine I already had plenty of 2 3/4 00 and slugs. So tried both. 00 of course easy to hit with. Also bought some "less than" ammo for it. Rubber ball rounds with one and 2, and rubber 00. The less than is VERY tame, not loud and very little recoil. I will probably buy one of the better adapters for it to use those mini shells just to let it hold more. Have not tried the 3" rounds in it as the 2 3/4 are a handful.

Huh. It was only this past Monday that I learned what a "shockwave" shotgun is. At a meeting of the gun club where I'm a member, it was mentioned that these are not allowed on our range. Hence my ignorance (on at least that one, minor point) was relieved. These used to be called, "sawed off shotguns."

Yeah, never mind on "shock wave" design, by experience of ownership I've discovered that I do not like pistol grips on shotguns. Briefly, I had a Remington 870 police type shotgun with such a stock, and found that I didn't care for it. Probably okay for breaching doors, etc., but in my hands not good for general shotgunnery.

I've also picked up a couple of those New England Firearms "Survivor" single shots. Those have a hollow butt stock for storage of handy survival items. They also incorporate a surrounded pistol grip. Good (gimmicky) idea, not for shooting. To cock the hammer, you have to remove your hand from the grip to do so. It's inconvenient and semi-unsafe, in my opinion. I'm shopping for a conventional butt stock for one of those to return it to a fun shooting state. I'm not likely to be dropped into the Alaska wilderness and need those handy items stored ready at hand in the butt stock.
the Shockwave does not have a pistol grip, it has a birdshead grip which distributes the recoil differently
it's no comparison to a Police pistol grip shotgun
it also has a strap on the slide that you put your off hand through
when firing, you push forward on the strap with your left hand, left arm fully extended, they lean into the firearm
the recoil is then distributed up your left arm and right ARM and across both shoulders, not your wrist
it is not a sawed off shotgun, the overall length is 26", listed as a Non NFA firearm, based on the old US Marshal's Witness Protection shotgun
I posted a thread years ago on shooting the Shockwave with various ammo, under various conditions, even out truck windows (not recommended)
I also have a saddle laser on it which reaches out over 35 yrds
I can fire it from the hip, but I weigh 220
I have taught over a dozen visitors how to accurately and comfortably shoot the Shockwave
living on property, we can enjoy the flexibility and power of this configuration

I would get an 18" barrel one with folding stock. All the convenience with non of the drawbacks. I've got no dog in the fight as I much prefer the lynx 12 (although I had a folding stock mossberg for many years before finding the lynx12).

Ian discussing some of the drawbacks:

View: https://youtu.be/LmC3NlfUd-U?si=IuUVM9xtxkuqkj93

Mossberg with folding stocks example
819C4026-9F14-4CF2-8231-19425C7FE0E9.jpeg
F227D7B6-C032-4E33-9A16-D52F18DD1F65.jpeg

Last Edited:
I happened to come across a choke maker today. I have a Beretta A300 Patrol that comes with a basic choke so was looking for something in that genre. Found Kick's Buck Kicker chokes. Saw Mossberg but didn't see the Shockwave listed. They are made for many shotgun manufacturers. Scroll slightly and use the drop down lists
https://www.kicks-ind.com/pages/buck-kicker-buckshot-choke-tubes

Check You Tube for videos

I bought an X-Full choke. Watched a video and they shot a 00 Buck (9 pellet) at 40 yards and put them within about 8". These are not for slugs. They screw in by hand with no tools ($60 on EBAY)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top