JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Huh. It was only this past Monday that I learned what a "shockwave" shotgun is. At a meeting of the gun club where I'm a member, it was mentioned that these are not allowed on our range. Hence my ignorance (on at least that one, minor point) was relieved. These used to be called, "sawed off shotguns."
if you live in Washington state, where the Mossberg Shockwave is legal, why does your gun club ban them?

out on my property, I fired my Shockwave at a hay bail from the window of a moving pickup
fired my Mossberg 590 with a cabbage on the attached bayonet
guess they don't allow that at your gun club ether

Mossberg 590.JPG making coleslaw 2.JPG

f you live in Washington state, where the Mossberg Shockwave is legal, why does your gun club ban them?
They decided to ban them for safety reasons. It was felt that adequate control over the weapon under range conditions couldn't be assured. This is one of the few open air ranges around here that is open to the public. Safety is of paramount concern, and they get shooters at all skill levels. Surely using one out on your own property, away from the public and liability issues shouldn't be a problem.

They decided to ban them for safety reasons. It was felt that adequate control over the weapon under range conditions couldn't be assured. This is one of the few open air ranges around here that is open to the public. Safety is of paramount concern, and they get shooters at all skill levels. Surely using one out on your own property, away from the public and liability issues shouldn't be a problem.
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/Ed3W6kaAOPA?si=GCJnNzl50WyVFpD_

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/N6ThijqZRAc?si=lNhjEYPMQ6IxCSpn

the Shockwave does not have a pistol grip, it has a birdshead grip which distributes the recoil differently
it's no comparison to a Police pistol grip shotgun
Yes, I was aware of the difference in grips. That's why I said, "never mind on Shockwave design." I was making reference to an earlier post in the thread:

I did it once on a pistol grip 12 gauge and said "dumbest design ever".
So I thought I'd mention my experience of pistol grips on shotguns. Excuse the thread deviation.

I will agree, using the Shockwave took some practice - many of the shooters I've taught were not competent or safe at first
it has a limited use and function, but in the right circumstances, it is a devastating weapon at close range
I use PMC reduced recoil #4 buckshot - 28 pellets with each shot - by calculations I've read, that over 800 ft/lbs per shot
I actually like the spread from the 14" bbl Shockwave - even at 35 yrds, I can keep at least 80% of the pellets in a SPCA full sized target
if used in a self defense situation in my home, fired from the hip at 10', it's a one shot stopper
I have this old 30' travel trailer - fired it from the bedroom and tool out a hay bail standing where the entry door is
with the Shockwave tucked into my hip, it only sticks out 14" from my body, easily maneuvered in a hallway or bedroom
the shortcoming is I would have to replace the carpet, since it would break ribs and liquefy the internal organs of the target

I will agree, using the Shockwave took some practice - many of the shooters I've taught were not competent or safe at first
it has a limited use and function, but in the right circumstances, it is a devastating weapon at close range
I use PMC reduced recoil #4 buckshot - 28 pellets with each shot - by calculations I've read, that over 800 ft/lbs per shot
I actually like the spread from the 14" bbl Shockwave - even at 35 yrds, I can keep at least 80% of the pellets in a SPCA full sized target
if used in a self defense situation in my home, fired from the hip at 10', it's a one shot stopper
I have this old 30' travel trailer - fired it from the bedroom and tool out a hay bail standing where the entry door is
with the Shockwave tucked into my hip, it only sticks out 14" from my body, easily maneuvered in a hallway or bedroom
the shortcoming is I would have to replace the carpet, since it would break ribs and liquefy the internal organs of the target
Paul Harrell once evaluated the PMC reduced recoil #4 buckshot with his standard meat target
he found the pellets penetrated the pork steaks, broke the front ribs, liquefied the lungs, but didn't exit past the back ribs
how is than a bad thing?

I often wonder what the kids at the cash register at his local market thought when he bought packages of pork steak, pork ribs and bags of oranges

I've always used 00 buckshot in my shotties, but they're full sized defense systems...might be a handful in the shockwave.

In the Shockwave I like the OpSol minishell adaptor and Buckshot minishells. For the Remington Tac-14 I prefer low-recoil buckshot, since it's highly effective at the distances that I expect to shoot it. The lower recoil facilitates quicker follow-up shots. I have Fiocchi currently, but I understand there are other brands with a tighter pattern, and with that shorter barrel and cylinder bore choke, it needs all it can get.

I've always used 00 buckshot in my shotties, but they're full sized defense systems...might be a handful in the shockwave.
If you are comfortable using a "police style" shotty you would have no trouble with a Shockwave. I was a little leery when I bought mine but after the first round it was just plain fun. Did get some looks from others on the range as it was indoors. I am using 2 3/4 and its easy. Now with 3" mags? Not sure, guessing may not be quite as fun. If you get a chance to shoot one you may like them. Certainly not the be all for all. I ordered mine when those 3 Cops here were on trial for murder. I was worried we might have a repeat of the other nasty stuff if they were found not guilty.

If you are comfortable using a "police style" shotty you would have no trouble with a Shockwave. I was a little leery when I bought mine but after the first round it was just plain fun. Did get some looks from others on the range as it was indoors. I am using 2 3/4 and its easy. Now with 3" mags? Not sure, guessing may not be quite as fun. If you get a chance to shoot one you may like them. Certainly not the be all for all. I ordered mine when those 3 Cops here were on trial for murder. I was worried we might have a repeat of the other nasty stuff if they were found not guilty.
3" will damn near knock the gun out of your hands. I've had competitive shooters turn down shooting the Shockwave with just birdshot in it. "No, I've shot one of those before." :) It's very much a technique thing as you said, but there's only so much technique can do for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top