JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As enthusiasts we tend to forget one simple principle.

K.I.S.S

Something like a 20ga 20" pump gun or a simple to operate old school small caliber rifle like a Mini 14.

Easy for anyone to handle, understand and operate and just as effective as any tacticool gucci'd out newfangled blaster

And let's not forget the bottom line: if you don't have what it takes to kill a human being, then brandishing a firearm will just put you in more danger. There is no shooting to scare, injure, or impede, you only shoot to kill. If you can't do that, if you question whether you have that internal fortitude when your own life is threatened, then just accept being a victim.

my parents got a glock for home defense (their first gun). however they don't put in a lot of range time, and when I was with them they were pretty inaccurate with it. I recommended that they should get a shotgun because it has a spread and will be easier to hit the target. Am i right with this thinking? Thoughts?
Sorry, I didn't read through all the posts so I don't know if someone already suggested, but I would recommend an easy to use PCC. Probably in 9mm. Like a Ruger PCC Carbine or a side charging AR9, with a flashlight and a red dot or laser.

I don't recommend a KelTek sub2000 or CZ Scorpion. They both take extra handling to learn and the bolts are pretty stiff. A rear charging AR9 is not very intuitive either. That's why I recommend something side charging with an easy to operate bolt and a good trigger.

The flashlight is self explanatory. The red dot is more intuitive than iron sights and a laser is good for aiming in low light or when your in a position where it's difficult to get a good sight picture.

If they insist on a pistol get them something with a long barrel and night sights. CZ SP01, 5" 1911, 6" revolver in 38spl. The longer barrel and extra weight will help with accuracy and follow up shots.

I think shotguns are not a good tool for people who don't shoot a lot. If they were to fire a shotgun, even a 20gauge, it's likely they will scare themselves. It's not a good tool if you don't practice with it. This is all just my opinion of course, everyone is different.

But Speaking of practice, that's more important than the tool. That's just a fact.

My mom cannot rack any of my semi-autos, so I got her a super small S&W in .357 mag. It was a revolver so she doesn't have to rack anything, I thought it was a good idea until I shot it and realized maybe I went a little too crazy with the caliber 🤣

AR 15
I keep stuff in the safe….. but in questionable situations…. I'm a fan of these even with kiddos around. Keep the weapon ready to chamber…… easy removal of Stop Box products. This option is more sturdy than the OG stop box if it were in question. Though I have several in the house.

15BB2BF6-495B-4601-9956-794345BC11BA.jpeg

Last Edited:
AR 15
I keep stuff in the safe….. but in questionable situations…. I'm a fan of these even with kiddos around. Keep the weapon ready to chamber…… easy removal of Stop Box products. This option is more sturdy than the OG stop box if it were in question. Though I have several in the house.

View attachment 1211056
Is that made of plastic?

edit: LPL defeated it very quickly. There are only 6 possible combinations. Decoding takes only a few seconds.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads