JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So any over fifty on this forum, well you might want to read this cuz you might not be healthy enough to own guns…. Just saying. Can anyone say; Age discrimination.

So to the old farts out their what are your thoughts.

Armed and Aging: As Older Americans Own the Most Guns, Should They Face More Gun Controls?

Suicide, dementia and physical failings are at issue.

"Should Rights Outweigh Risks?

Still, some aren't as comfortable with the idea of so many older adults owning guns, considering certain risk factors that can accompany aging, such as increasing dementia with aging or the high suicide rate among older males (see sidebar)."

"So much of the dialogue around guns in this country has been around crime, and lately, mass shootings. And the older population is not part of that. But when you look at the suicide issue, it's impossible to ignore older Americans," Frattaroli said. "With that in mind, any conversation about guns has to include a conversation [about] gun ownership among older adults. There's definitely more to be done on that issue in the United States."

Armed and Aging: As Older Americans Own the Most Guns, Should They Face More Gun Controls?

Sadly, the anti-gun government does not make laws against criminals. The tax paying, law-abiding citizen that would fight for this country is the one whom this government is penalizing and oppressing. I wouldn't be concerned about older, senile and crotchety old farts shooting themselves. When I mentioned Idaho having open/concealed carry without a permit required, the old high school classmate said to me, now there will be more crazy nuts running around with guns. Wait a minute, let's consider the school shooter, the military base shooter, the armed criminal that are not tax paying members of society, not members of the NRA nor have they taken the carry and shooting classes available in every town across the country. They do not contribute to the strength of the nation but rather interrupt and interfere with the awesome quality of life that we can have here. The government is as criminal as they are. They are not interested in keeping America strong and free. They want to control people and property and wealth. The only way they can do that is disarming. They want civil unrest so they can justify taking away firearms. Articles as this one even questioning a law-abiding citizens sanity or rationale to have a gun should not be published to create doubt about the people who have kept America free. The criminals should be the ones who we should be questioning. Why are they given "life" with all the benefits a working man can't afford after they kill, rape, steal and destroy Americans' lives? This government prefers to provide for criminals more than it does for the citizens who pay their wages. Let's ask questions such as, why do the victims of gun toting criminals have to put up with the intimidating accusations and criticisms of the prosecutors or criminal defense lawyers while it is unfair to offend the criminal by presenting the facts of their character and behavior? My guns, what will be left of them, will go to my kids. At almost 70, I've exercised more restraint in the face of suspects than most people do and have been extremely quick to keep the potentially dangerous situations safe and nobody was hurt; in some instances, they didn't even know I drew on them and tucked it out of sight when realizing who they were or what they were doing. Forgetful, spacey, sick, lame, lazy and partially crazy; perhaps. But, unsafe or a dangerous threat with a gun? Why would you think so? I didn't vote for this administration...

I don't want government intervention as every person is different in their mental abilities/disabilities. The family needs to evaluate and decide. When my dad was pushing 90, I took his handgun that he kept in his nightstand drawer. I talked to him about it and he told me not to, but I did it anyway.
My fear was not suicide, but he was so confused at times that I was concerned that he would shoot his wife coming back from the bathroom in the middle of the night because he mistook her for an intruder. I am 66 and when I took his gun I told my adult son that if I ever get to the point mentally that his Grandpa did, he should take my guns no matter what I say about it.

Unfortunately, this is a reality for me. Personally, I have no problem with my loved ones taking the guns when the time comes. I despise the idea of some stranger/govt schmuck taking them.
That's not a good thought you have. If you have a sane stable mind, you keep your guns. You never know when you might need them to protect yourself or others. Unless you're unable to use them if you have to, physically. Otherwise, keep them.

Sadly, the anti-gun government does not make laws against criminals. The tax paying, law-abiding citizen that would fight for this country is the one whom this government is penalizing and oppressing. I wouldn't be concerned about older, senile and crotchety old farts shooting themselves. When I mentioned Idaho having open/concealed carry without a permit required, the old high school classmate said to me, now there will be more crazy nuts running around with guns. Wait a minute, let's consider the school shooter, the military base shooter, the armed criminal that are not tax paying members of society, not members of the NRA nor have they taken the carry and shooting classes available in every town across the country. They do not contribute to the strength of the nation but rather interrupt and interfere with the awesome quality of life that we can have here. The government is as criminal as they are. They are not interested in keeping America strong and free. They want to control people and property and wealth. The only way they can do that is disarming. They want civil unrest so they can justify taking away firearms. Articles as this one even questioning a law-abiding citizens sanity or rationale to have a gun should not be published to create doubt about the people who have kept America free. The criminals should be the ones who we should be questioning. Why are they given "life" with all the benefits a working man can't afford after they kill, rape, steal and destroy Americans' lives? This government prefers to provide for criminals more than it does for the citizens who pay their wages. Let's ask questions such as, why do the victims of gun toting criminals have to put up with the intimidating accusations and criticisms of the prosecutors or criminal defense lawyers while it is unfair to offend the criminal by presenting the facts of their character and behavior? My guns, what will be left of them, will go to my kids. At almost 70, I've exercised more restraint in the face of suspects than most people do and have been extremely quick to keep the potentially dangerous situations safe and nobody was hurt; in some instances, they didn't even know I drew on them and tucked it out of sight when realizing who they were or what they were doing. Forgetful, spacey, sick, lame, lazy and partially crazy; perhaps. But, unsafe or a dangerous threat with a gun? Why would you think so? I didn't vote for this administration...
You're just speaking common sense. Shame on you.
Sifu

More and more rights are being taken away from people. The only people that truly see this are old people. Some day we will be the new China, people there have no right, just work and shut the hell up! Hey, if an old person wants to commit suicide, it's his body. No body should have the right to dictate how long an old person has to put up with this world. I'm old, and if i get fed up, I'll take my little NAA .22 magnum revolver and goodby!
Sifu
You've got a good point there. Isn't it disgustingly ironic that the left wants to "protect" old people from committing suicide (by gun), but have no regard for an unborn baby?

More and more rights are being taken away from people. The only people that truly see this are old people. Some day we will be the new China, people there have no right, just work and shut the hell up! Hey, if an old person wants to commit suicide, it's his body. No body should have the right to dictate how long an old person has to put up with this world. I'm old, and if i get fed up, I'll take my little NAA .22 magnum revolver and goodby!
Sifu
You've got a good point there. Isn't it disgustingly ironic that the left wants to "protect" old people from committing suicide (by gun), but have no regard for an unborn baby?

Have you had Cancer? :rolleyes:

Nope. Lost 3 friends to it, one of them my best friend in '94. It was not the cancer that killed him, but the chemo. I've been beside my wife as she has gone through two bouts and multiple scares. It's a fugly, insidious disease. She said to me after the last time, "I will not do chemo again, if this comes back, promise me you will let me exercise my right-to-die option." I did, and I will. I could think of nothing more selfish than me insisting she go through it again. Just the same, a gun is not the way to go.
She is the main reason why I love and support Oregon's pot laws. I've watched her puke her guts out on opiates: oxy, hydro, dilaudid. If it weren't for high CBDs, she would have a hard time relaxing or sleeping. Back in '13, after 4 months being bedridden in inhuman pain, if she had asked me to kill her, I would have without hesitation.

My dad, God rest his good soul, said no to the 3rd round of chemo when cancer came back again. No one admits it, but current pain meds used to battle the pain get increased until the dying person quits breathing. It's unpleasant to think about but it is a way of easing the suffering near the end.

Brutus out

76 next month. I'm thinking about giving myself a motorcycle for my birthday. Wouldn't be my first, but it has been quite a few years. Obviously, I'm mentally unstable.
Met an 80 y.o hard-core Harley rider in the badlands years ago. Only got to talking to him because of the unique leathers he was wearing. Wouldn't have known he was 80 either, had he not mentioned it. Some things keep you young.

Got some glue on grips for my Ruger .380 and they are fantastic. I'm only 5'2" and yet it still is uncomfortable to hold that little gun. With these thin rubber grips, your hand feels tightly stuck to the handle. If you have the same problem, you might want to look it up on amazon. Buy the rubber one not the sandpaper grip ones.
Sifu

Really?
Are you sure? o_O

fetusgun.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany