JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Project: I have some elk antler tips prepped and want to drill them to mount some really good 1/2"dia x 6" ferro rods.

I've been putting it off for quite awhile, quite honestly, because I'm not quite sure how to approach it to secure the antler tips for drilling and properly align the holes. The tips are the last bits from a set of antlers with great sentimental value and irreplaceable so I really don't want to muck any of them up. The rods are 6" in length so any misalignment with the antler handle will be readily noticeable. Being that most of them are intended as gifts to my son's... I really would like to not have them all wonky and fugly lookin.

One of the antler tips I'm also a little concerned if it has a large enough diameter to hold the ferro rod without any cracking or breakage with use. Opinions appreciated.

I was thinkig about a 1", 1-1/4" hole depth. Is that deep enough? Too much?

Anyone have any good ideas on securing the tips and how to mark out and ensure proper alignment? I do have a 4" bench vise and drill press. C-clamps and other misc typical home shop tools.

1661431124677.jpeg 1661431152458.jpeg
(RT photo is the smallest one mentioned with concern about diameter in relation to the ferro)

TIA for any insights or suggestions.

Last Edited:
Carbide or diamond grit hole saw?
I have carbide. I was thinking that stepping up bits might produce the least amount of stress on the bone(?) I'm afraid of a hole saw "catching" and possibly cracking or fragging a chunk off(?)

TBH, I haven't drilled much antler at all and no idea how brittle or durable it might be with a hole saw.

Antlers are kind of like a tree trunk, they sort of have bark, soft wood and heart wood. The material in the middle is softer that the outer area and the drill will want to follow it. You will want to probably use a drill press, and securely clamp the piece you want to drill.

I drill antlers for pens (see my picture to the left). I have drilled on a drill press using a wood screw clamp and kind of wedge it in. But the easiest way for me to drill the pen blanks (antler pieces) is on the lathe. I use a punch to create a shallow hole on bother ends. Then wrap the antler with a bunch of tape, and grip it with vice grips. Then place the drill bit (attached to the head stock) in one end, and the other end in the center in the tail stock. I just have to be careful not to drill to far or blow out the blank. I also wear a respirator while drilling, the fine dust probably isn't good for you to breath.

Antlers are kind of like a tree trunk, they sort of have bark, soft wood and heart wood. The material in the middle is softer that the outer area and the drill will want to follow it. You will want to probably use a drill press, and securely clamp the piece you want to drill.

I drill antlers for pens (see my picture to the left). I have drilled on a drill press using a wood screw clamp and kind of wedge it in.
Good info, Thanks! I kind of figured a drill press will be my best option, but just not sure how to clamp it and align the unique curves and angles of each.

Any resource you're aware of showing a screw clamp/wedge?

That gives me some idea of what to be looking for, anyway. Thanks!

I'm keeping the tips intact so my lathe probably wouldn't be workable. Good idea though.

I also wear a respirator while drilling, the fine dust probably isn't good for you to breath.
I thought that was supposed to be good for your pencil... 🤣

I cut a couple of 45 degree cuts to create a groove in my wood screw clamp. What you could do is find yourself a 1x4 (or 1/2 thick), and cut a couple of 4-6 inch long pieces, then cut down the middle at 45 degree. Have the 2 cut ends butt up and you have your groove. You could shave off some of the pointy end to make the groove shallower. Then screw them to the inside face of your screw clamp to create the groove to hold your antler pieces. I would just tape some small scraps pieces to the pointy end of the antler so that the clamp is secure at the top and bottom of the antler piece.

Drilling the antler smells like visiting your dentist and he drills into your tooth. Not pleasant, lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top