JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yea. It's just hard for me to understand. When there are so many opportunities/work and so many programs to help you if you are in that situation. The tricky part is you have to have the want/desire to better yourself and your situation. That's why when I see people on the corner holding veteran signs/etc. it's very hard for me to have sympathy when there are so many options out there. But the individual has to want it and do the work. It will never work if it is forced and given with no effort on their end.

Do you actually, truly believe what you're saying? That homeless people want to be on the streets? I've been homeless before, and while I get where you're coming from, you really do not understand at all.

I had a job, never did a drug in my life, didn't drink. I worked my butt off, high functioning, high achieving and highly educated, but a series of things outside of my control landed me on the street.

There are a countless reasons why people end up without a roof over their head. At one point in the late '90s my friend's parents were each clearing over 100k a year and were homeless because of a housing shortage in their area. That's not even getting into folks who desperately need mental health services. The isolation, stressers, vulnerability and logistics of being homeless are enough themselves to drive a ton of people crazy. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Aside from a very, very small number of crust punks/hobos who are hopping trains as a lifestyle, no one you see on the street wants to be there. What you're saying doesn't even make sense. The people you see camped out in objective misery want to be there? You should trade places with them. I see homeless folks every single day and if you paid me twice what I make a year to be homeless I wouldn't take you up on it. Not 4x/year.

If you're homeless, don't forget, you can't afford a CHL and don't have an address to get one anyway, so if you have a gun for protection and your camp gets swept, you're going to be in trouble. If you use your gun to defend yourself and the cops show up, they're not going to believe you because you look and smell likecrap. If fellow homeless folks find out you have a gun, you're a target. You probably don't have a computer to apply for a job and you can't get into libraries to use one because of covid. No one even wants to hand you a $20 because they think you're not clean and have the 'rona. It goes on and on and on.

Do you actually, truly believe what you're saying? That homeless people want to be on the streets? I've been homeless before, and while I get where you're coming from, you really do not understand at all.

I had a job, never did a drug in my life, didn't drink. I worked my butt off, high functioning, high achieving and highly educated, but a series of things outside of my control landed me on the street.

There are a countless reasons why people end up without a roof over their head. At one point in the late '90s my friend's parents were each clearing over 100k a year and were homeless because of a housing shortage in their area. That's not even getting into folks who desperately need mental health services. The isolation, stressers, vulnerability and logistics of being homeless are enough themselves to drive a ton of people crazy. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Aside from a very, very small number of crust punks/hobos who are hopping trains as a lifestyle, no one you see on the street wants to be there. What you're saying doesn't even make sense. The people you see camped out in objective misery want to be there? You should trade places with them. I see homeless folks every single day and if you paid me twice what I make a year to be homeless I wouldn't take you up on it. Not 4x/year.

If you're homeless, don't forget, you can't afford a CHL and don't have an address to get one anyway, so if you have a gun for protection and your camp gets swept, you're going to be in trouble. If you use your gun to defend yourself and the cops show up, they're not going to believe you because you look and smell likecrap. If fellow homeless folks find out you have a gun, you're a target. You probably don't have a computer to apply for a job and you can't get into libraries to use one because of covid. No one even wants to hand you a $20 because they think you're not clean and have the 'rona. It goes on and on and on.
respectfully I disagree with you. If you want it bad enough you will get it. America is so wealthy and plentiful that even the homeless are fat. I am not saying I don't feel for the homeless. But at the same time there are plenty of programs to help them get on their feet if they truly want it. I don't have sympathy for people who hold their hand out wanting freebies. There are so many illegals who come here, no home, no family, no money, and they work their a$$ off. The people outside of America have less entitlement issues and their work puts the laziness of American citizens who decide to live on the streets to shame. That's my opinion though. I have a lot of respect for people who have nothing and work like their life depends on it.

respectfully I disagree with you. If you want it bad enough you will get it. America is so wealthy and plentiful that even the homeless are fat. I am not saying I don't feel for the homeless. But at the same time there are plenty of programs to help them get on their feet if they truly want it. I don't have sympathy for people who hold their hand out wanting freebies. There are so many illegals who come here, no home, no family, no money, and they work their a$$ off. The people outside of America have less entitlement issues and their work puts the laziness of American citizens who decide to live on the streets to shame. That's my opinion though. I have a lot of respect for people who have nothing and work like their life depends on it.

I think this is one of those things where you might have to walk a mile in a homeless person's shoes to understand what you're talking about. It's one of the many injustices homeless folks suffer. I respect your right to your own opinion, and hope you're never in a position to understand the truth.

Having made it to the other side after having nothing and having had to work like my life depends on it my whole life, I cannot explain how much luck plays into it. Sometimes it's plain old bad luck that gets you there, and if you're one of the few to get out, a lot of times you realize how much dumb luck played into that, too — no matter how much you outwork the next person, how much you "want it" or how driven you are.

Went to the east side for a Drs appt and was surprised how much it's gone to crap. I'll only go down there if it's necessary...won't even take my kids there. Wouldn't mind selling my house in the burbs and buying some land away from the crap.

I believe what he's saying because it's true. I've seen it with my own eyes. Even a lot of people that have jobs only go to them when they feel like it. Former employees of the store that found it too difficult to show up for scheduled shifts. Drugs have a lot to do with it too.

Once a person sinks so low, and gets so totally disconnected from, what we call normal lives, they're used to having nothing and trying to get back up to where they should be seems impossible.

It takes a special person to come back after losing everything. A lot of people aren't that special. After watching our society providing hand outs to, going on, three generations is it any surprise people fall so low with their expectations?

It's amazing what people can get used to.

I think this is one of those things where you might have to walk a mile in a homeless person's shoes to understand what you're talking about. It's one of the many injustices homeless folks suffer. I respect your right to your own opinion, and hope you're never in a position to understand the truth.

Having made it to the other side after having nothing and having had to work like my life depends on it my whole life, I cannot explain how much luck plays into it. Sometimes it's plain old bad luck that gets you there, and if you're one of the few to get out, a lot of times you realize how much dumb luck played into that, too — no matter how much you outwork the next person, how much you "want it" or how driven you are.
Unfortunately I don't believe in luck.

I've upgraded my truck gun from a Charter Arms 5 shot Bulldog to a 15 shot Glock with 2 extra magazines in case I get mobbed and have to shoot my way out.

I grew up in mid-SE Poorland, got out as soon as I began to think for myself. Never wanted to live in a city, never looked back.
I recently picked up a Charter Arms Boomer, .44 special, 5 rounds, 3 speed loaders. It is at Copelands getting an action massage. For years my go to truck gun has been a Glock 19, THREE full mags. Both will be constant companions & serve me well if required to protect my well being from the ones who do not care so much for their own not so well being.

bang, bang, out go da lights!!!

Unfortunately I don't believe in luck.

Luck is the most common way of saying you don't control everything — that a fact and it really doesn't matter what one believes. Unfortunately, many of us lack the honesty it takes to acknowledge this.

For example, if you grew up on the Arizona Strip in the '40s and the wind blew nuclear waste into your farm from the Government testing sites in Nevada and your kids got cancer and died, you can call it a bunch of things but the average person in a casual conversation would call that "bad luck." You already understand this, of course, and just choose not to admit it. Too bad.

Luck is the most common way of saying you don't control everything — that a fact and it really doesn't matter what one believes. Unfortunately, many of us lack the honesty it takes to acknowledge this.

For example, if you grew up on the Arizona Strip in the '40s and the wind blew nuclear waste into your farm from the Government testing sites in Nevada and your kids got cancer and died, you can call it a bunch of things but the average person in a casual conversation would call that "bad luck." You already understand this, of course, and just choose not to admit it. Too bad.
If it was known that those plants were going to cause your children to get cancer why wouldn't you move your family? That's a choice. Now if monetary value outweighs your families safety and health than that is your own moral compass that needs to be recalibrated.

Many business will either close or move. Many residents will also move out of PDX. With them go their tax dollars that pay for all the social programs. The elected official's running the show are too blind to look at NY and CA where this is having a major impact on city income and realize that PDX is on the same path of self destruction.
However, it is the citizens of PDX that elected incompetent politicians so they have no right to complain. The voters brought it upon themselves so they need to learn to live with it as they own it.

If it was known that those plants were going to cause your children to get cancer why wouldn't you move your family? That's a choice. Now if monetary value outweighs your families safety and health than that is your own moral compass that needs to be recalibrated.

Because it was the 50's and you didn't know and the military didn't think it was important to tell you. They had no idea so they had no choice.

For those of us who don't have savings or diability insurance, or home equity, a trust funds or stable extended families we're maybe one broken leg or other bad turn away from being homeless. That's not me now, but I can imagine it being me.

However, it is the citizens of PDX that elected incompetent politicians so they have no right to complain. The voters brought it upon themselves so they need to learn to live with it as they own it.

My cousin said, "The candidates just are not very good". Of course, she has never voted for a Republican in her Portland loving Democrat life to try something different.

It's funny to read comments of so many people bagging on the metropolitian area where they live and whose economy supports them, on the one hand, then talk about personal responsibility on the other, and not talk about their imnediate plans to move because it sucks so bad.

Don't let the door hit you in the bubblegum.;)

It's not just the major cities. It's anywhere that will tolerate it. My city of 150k has tons, and I mean TONS of homeless. We're so famous for it, Bender Bending Rodriguez made a joke about them. And then there's the scum which are becoming more and more common. Just this weekend there was a meet and greet with armed "guards" in black I went to. They are not my kind, nobody wanted to say anything to me. Must have been the Carhartt gear. And the no mask..... Finally I had to walk around sidewalk poop downtown today. Because we're being inclusive.
Eugene has always been lefty, even in the seventies. It just follows last year's Portland trends.

Because it was the 50's and you didn't know and the military didn't think it was important to tell you. They had no idea so they had no choice.

For those of us who don't have savings or diability insurance, or home equity, a trust funds or stable extended families we're maybe one broken leg or other bad turn away from being homeless. That's not me now, but I can imagine it being me.
And who's choice is it to not have savings, a house, income etc? Personal responsibility is a B!tch I know. It seems these days it's always someone else's fault. Left, Right, Rich, or Poor the only thing you have control over is yourself. You are your own responsibility. No one is responsible for me and this world owes us absolutely nothing. Want it... Get off the couch (or curb) and get it. Otherwise you have no room to complain. Keep on relying on the government for help and stability. You will be left alone and unsatisfied. Keep voting for them and the system will continue to spiral out of control. It is on us as a community to help each other. But if they don't want my help I am not going to break my back trying to force them to take it. I've never had a handout. Never went to college. I have worked for everything I have and I am dam proud of it.

Recently I drive the extra few miles to Lebanon to shop, it's nice and quiet sort of town, traffic doesen't ever seem to back up more than one cycle of the lights either.

If it's street traffic lights that you're after, may I be so bold as to recommend the township of Port Orford? With just the one set strung over Highway 101 at the South end [as you leave] or as you enter the township limits from the South, you'll be cheered to learn that they are neither on, nor off, on a permanent basis. In this way you can avail yourself either of the necessity of stopping - on those occasions when they are red - or ignoring them when they are not.

Myself and great pal R Smith, a local resident of many years standing, comprise the self-appointed care-takers of these useful examples of minimal ODOT management, and between us have spent many a happy hour watching drivers coming up from the south, where matters are dealt with somewhat differently - or so I'm told - as they come to a halt on a red. After an hour or so of happy confusion, at the head of a line of backed-up traffic on 101, they mostly give a quiet chuckle to themselves, mutter, 'darned if I wasn't caught out right there' and go on their way, probably still chuckling.

...and then, safely ensconced at a window-side table in the nearby 'Crazy Norwegian' seafood restaurant - home of the best fish & chips in the PNW - it's MY turn to operate the light switch. :)

Last Edited:
One size does not fit all, try wearing your wife's leotards. People have had it all and lost it all responsible or not. I have it and I was not in Washington DC Jan 6th so I do not have the Feds after me, but those that do are likely to lose it all. the cost of defense will take most and then a possible lawsuit, other expenses like fines, jail time and when you are finally freed, you better have family as you won't have friends. Not everyone wants to be homeless.

That said I do not like the irresponsible way they do conduct themselves. Bad citizens!

I avoid the cities and yearn for the east side of the Cascades, but there are areas of the same plague there too. Bend shows it here and there, Spokane is rife with it. (Good reason to not visit my Sister)

I hope I can have the health to move, but for now Cornelius itself is okay

1) "Do you actually, truly believe what you're saying? That homeless people want to be on the streets? I've been homeless before, and while I get where you're coming from, you really do not understand at all.
I had a job, never did a drug in my life, didn't drink. I worked my butt off, high functioning, high achieving and highly educated, but a series of things outside of my control landed me on the street."
Here you engage in projection, i.e. attributing your own motives and worldview to others. You are a part of the productive sector, and believe that other people share your ethos. This isn't true. There are those who prefer to live in a tent, smoke crack/shoot smack/drink 8-Ball and otherwise sponge off of society. There are people who actually don't mind being in prison. I didn't believe it until I spoke with an acquaintance who had considerable experience with the penal system and he confirmed it. FWIW he said he didn't understand how I think, which was OK with me.

2) "No one even wants to hand you a $20 because they think you're not clean and have the 'rona. It goes on and on and on."
I don't want to hand them anything because pahnandlers offend me. Where the h3ll do they think I got it, and why should I enable them? At least feral cats kill pests and I like cats.

They can't support themselves, and would be knocking on the doors of every farmhouse,

I don't think that will work for anyone, personally, they won't get on the property to reach the porch! :s0123:
It will most likely come down to marauding herds feasting on those that have, just like government & the elitist.Kind of reminds me of Mel Gibson movies. Mad Max series & the crazy LA detective series, what was that? Lethal Weapon or was that Jackie Chan. :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top