JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I arrest lots of people out of homeless camps. By being arrested, they have access to housing assistance and in-patient treatment. They agree to it before their hearings and as soon as they are through convince an adjudicator that they'll do the right thing, they don't. They get out, fail to appear, and the cycle starts again. At the next hearing, they rant about no one trying to help them.

Want to be homeless? Maybe not want. But willfully homeless? Absolutely.

By arresting them you are providing them with housing and a warm meal. hopefully they appreciate it .

If you find that hard to believe, you should spend more time out in the world. This was happening in the tech bubble and housing shortage. You can find the news articles online and the tv reports on youtube if you're not old enough to remember. Litigating the details for a group where the default tenor is fringe sociopathic behavior isn't very interesting to me.
And yet, here you are
And dodging giving answer to my question is pretty much proof you don't have a good one. I lived and worked through the tech bubble. I chose to commute 50 miles each way to keep my job and dear wife and I managed to keep our home on a similar income in the 90's-00's, in Silicon Valley. If these friends of your parents lost their home while making $200K or better, it was bad decisions not bad luck that put them on the street.
And no, I don't believe that everyone on the street wants to be there. That you got out of it is proof of that. But too many are quite content to live like pigs in their own bubblegum to convince me that everyone doesn't want to be there. There are resources for people who want to get off the street. Too many refuse to use them because they can't have drugs in those shelters and programs. And with idiot laws like Oregon passed where drug use is no longer criminalized, there will be more of these homeless warrens than ever.
Yes, bad luck can put a good person on the street, but its bad decisions that keep them there.

When it comes to economics I pretty much subscribe to the Ludwig Von Mises school. One of his sayings;
"If you want more of something, you subsidize it,, if you want less of something, you tax it"
For many years Portland has done a good job of subsidizing homelessness.
Maybe if they tried taxing it their would be less of it.
Like maybe charge $10 a day for a "homeless permit", kinda like paying a daily campground fee.
You want to "camp" on public property, pay for it.
The word gets around,, lots of the homeless came here from other states.

One of the homeless guys around the job last summer asked me how to go about doing what my crew does. I told him it was pretty simple, go to YVC, pay $45 and register for a 6-7 hour class, take the open book/notes test. If you pass then you can do what we do. He couldn't see spending the $45 and a day in class to make $35 hr. "Do you know what I could do with $45?" Yes, sadly, I know EXACTLY what he could do with it. He didn't even have to pay for the class if he went to the right agency for help. Too much work and bother I guess.

The sad thing is, that there are very few serious restrictions on flaggers. Show up on time, watch the traffic and cover the guys working, be able to stand up all day and stay CLEAN. I don't even let my guys/gals smoke pot. If there is an accident, all it takes is a lawyer wanting a piss test and it could be our fault. I've had numerous felons of different stripes working for me, I don't care as long as you follow those simple rules. Most don't have a problem and are good workers, others find it too much effort to conform. Or am I asking too much?

I do not like what the elected officials have done to Portland. It saddens me. They not only allowed and enabled nightly riots, attacks on the police, destruction of property, poop and needles in the streets and parks, unsafe conditions for those working downtown, they also defended and protected those causing the problem from any consequences for their actions.
So, I choose not to visit or spend my money which would support their agenda. There is nothing in Portland that I can't get elsewhere. I chose to spend my money supporting others communities that care about the hard working, law abiding, tax paying citizen.
At least for now, it is still a partially free country and those who support what is going on in Portland are free to visit and spend their money there to support their cause. Just as I am free to not do so.

I do not like what the elected officials have done to Portland. It saddens me. They not only allowed and enabled nightly riots, attacks on the police, destruction of property, poop and needles in the streets and parks, unsafe conditions for those working downtown, they also defended and protected those causing the problem from any consequences for their actions.
So, I choose not to visit or spend my money which would support their agenda. There is nothing in Portland that I can't get elsewhere. I chose to spend my money supporting others communities that care about the hard working, law abiding, tax paying citizen.
At least for now, it is still a partially free country and those who support what is going on in Portland are free to visit and spend their money there to support their cause. Just as I am free to not do so.
Yet some how people being hurt by their governing will vote them in again?

Yet some how people being hurt by their governing will vote them in again?

Yep they will. The landscape of our country is changing. Older folks who were hard working and conservative are passing on and the new younger generation has a very liberal mindset. They are embracing a fantasy world through rose colored glasses. They are very stubborn and won't realize the economic destruction they are causing until their taxes get increased to a 60% rate to pay to fund all the programs and pay off all the debt. Then they will kick and scream in temper tantrums while denying that they brought this upon themselves.

Yep they will. The landscape of our country is changing. Older folks who were hard working and conservative are passing on and the new younger generation has a very liberal mindset. They are embracing a fantasy world through rose colored glasses. They are very stubborn and won't realize the economic destruction they are causing until their taxes get increased to a 60% rate to pay to fund all the programs and pay off all the debt. Then they will kick and scream in temper tantrums while denying that they brought this upon themselves.

This is why spanking your children should be mandatory :)

I'm a grown man with kids and I'm still scared of my mother lol:D
That's a sign of her having done a good job in raising you. I feared my mom til the day she passed. That was 5'2" of fiery Irish lass... She'd get up on a step stool to get face to face with me and box my ears...

We can blame Dr. Spock, not the Star Trek Dr. Spock, for a generation of ill disciplined children. Spare the rod, spoil the child...

agreed. I honestly think that's the biggest or a major issue with the younger generation. There's no consequences for behaviors and actions. But nobody is held responsible for stuff these days. Instead they'll come after the law abiding.

Little Johnny shoplifts, slap on the wrist, no no Johnny, bad boy don't do that.
Well Johnny thought, that didn't hurt.
So he keeps shoplifting.
Then burglarizes the neighbors home.
Same slap on the wrist, no no Johnny, bad boy, don't do that.
Well heck, that didn't hurt either.
So Johnny steals a car.
No no Johnny, bad boy, slap on the wrist.
Now he thinks that their is no consequences or punishment for anything he does.
He moves on to car jacking, armed robbery, and whatever else he feels like doing since he has no fear of getting in any serious trouble for it.
But then, he get busted for car jacking, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and gets locked up and is now a convicted felon.

Society has failed little Johnny. It is sad, but we created his mindset that he can do whatever he feels like without consequences until it is too late for him.

We train our dog better than we do our kids. :(

Your suburban neighborhood park will be the next no-go zone if this bill becomes law:
House Bill 3115, backed by House Speaker Tina Kotek, reaffirms that Oregonians are allowed to sit, lie, sleep, and keep warm and dry on public property in most circumstances.

A few years back, make it twenty or so, the seventeen-y/o son of a Royal Marine acquaintance of mine got into trouble. He'd been persuaded that selling certain substances at a house-party was a good idea. Sadly for him, he got busted - how was HE to know that the party-holder's dad was part of the local police drug squad, and had a nose like the sniffer dog he took to work every day?

He got a hefty fine and two-years 'community service' - what ever THAT is.

However, he also got a word of advice from his dad, who told him not to do it again

Mind you, that was after he'd received the most ever-lovin' a$$-whupping he'd encountered in his life up to that point. No bones were broken, his dad told me, but that was the only bonus. It was the first and last time his dad had ever laid a hand on him, too. But you can bet your life that he hasn't needed to do it again.

From my front porch, I can point to over 500 firearms. The back porch somewhat less. It's not a very "progressive" minded neighborhood. :)

Probably best to get them all inside soon. They'll be less likely to rust. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top