JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For budget semiautos in .308 the AR-10 is the most budget friendly. A FAL can be had for around a grand, M1As tend to be above that.

For the intermediate cartridges, ARs and AKs can be had at relatively inexpensive costs.

For budget semiautos in .308 the AR-10 is the most budget friendly. A FAL can be had for around a grand, M1As tend to be above that.

For the intermediate cartridges, ARs and AKs can be had at relatively inexpensive costs.

I've invited him out to try everything on his list.

We do not have FALs nor M1's, so they are out.

Might bring along a PTR and a Mini-14 as well, plus a PDW for him to try out. Both the mini and the PDW would be handy for younger/older folk at the farm with either less experience or perhaps other limitations (arthritis as a simple example).

did you get the precision rifle yet they are down to around 1k now

Nope. Anything like that will be at least 2018 before I can get it in the budget, may even be 2019. Still haven't decided on which bolt gun to start with as well. Some other folks here have me looking at Tikka, Savage, etc. But yeah, the RPS is still on the list.

Nope. Anything like that will be at least 2018 before I can get it in the budget, may even be 2019. Still haven't decided on which bolt gun to start with as well. Some other folks here have me looking at Tikka, Savage, etc. But yeah, the RPS is still on the list.

RPR would be my vote, if .308 AND you run AR10's just for the magazine crossover is all. Kinda handy that way.

If other caliber, then that's a moot point.

that's one situation I have with HK 91 M1A and AR10 they all use different mags
so I have a MAG BAG for all 762x51 mags when I go to range it goes with

I just like with in the last 3mos put together a Palmetto AR 10 459.00 thats right if you watch there ads you to can put one together for 459.00
and to be frank I like it as much as my Armalite,or Adams arms 308 platforms it's smooth eats everything and is fun

Ya know Mossberg makes a AR mag based bolt gun, one is called the Night Train looks somewhat like the RPR
I would imagine it shoots well never heard any bad reviews . It's nice to see Companys building out the door precision long guns like those mentioned here where a guy doesn't have to know a lot to have a lot of fun

Ya know Mossberg makes a AR mag based bolt gun, one is called the Night Train looks somewhat like the RPR
I would imagine it shoots well never heard any bad reviews . It's nice to see Companys building out the door precision long guns like those mentioned here where a guy doesn't have to know a lot to have a lot of fun

Yah, and there MVP line is pretty decent as well.

Kinda thinking on what the purpose of the MVP might be though (from a preparedness point of view), and all I can come up with would be as a scout setup, with a mid range semi auto as the primary. But then would that person be better suited just carrying a semi-auto .308 to begin with?..

AR15's and AK47's would be handier for them. With a slight lean towards AR15's (AK74, although not on your list, would trump both—IMO, however I'm very biased towards the platform).

+1, the AK74 is an excellent rifle, highly underrated. If I had to hit a steel gong with iron sights at 200 yards with $1000 on the line, that's what I would use. In a SHTF scenario, I always consider the likelihood of optics being damaged, losing zero, or running out of batteries. For this reason I spend roughly half of my practice ammo just shooting irons...

All that being said, if I could only choose one (1) I would keep my AR15. They are everywhere, parts are everywhere, ammo is everywhere. And it is cheap to stock up.

Howard,
First of all there are a lot of opinions on this. And to clarify my answer I have and like the weapons you have listed. I have some of each. But IMO there are some things to be considered when making the decision pros and cons. I will finalize my thoughts at the end of this.
1. AKs 7.62X39 are good weapons because they are reliable if you buy a quality rifle. They wall most always shoot anything you put in them.
2. ARs like the Rock River LAR08 and AR-10 and others in 7.62X51 (308) are fine weapons however cost more and also are heavier than the AR-15. *Parts for them are proprietary. Loaded Magazines are also heavier. Obviously good 308 ammunition is very accurate and fairly accessible. But does cost more than other rounds.

IMO not that I do not like the others mentioned but with overall Battle & consideration!
3. AR-15 223 Remington/5.56NATO cal. rifles are lighter. *Parts from other manufacturers AR-15s will work! They are lighter to pack, acquire and engage a target with and are accurate. They as well as the other weapons you mentioned are reliable. Loaded Magazines are lighter, easier to pack more loaded Mags and ammunition. And the Magazines will fit all AR-15s in 223/5.56 cal. rifles. There are more accessories available that will fit all brands. 223/5.56 ammunition is easily accessible.
And if worse come to worse and an individual had to evacuate a position and relocate to other areas, IMO 223/5.56 ammunition would be the easiest to locate and use since there are literally thousands of individuals out there that would possibly have 223 cal. rifles, magazines and ammunition at a location to acquire! So IMO opinion the standard AR-15 in 223/5.56 would be my overall choice for the application.;)

Sniper03

Before settling on any rifle platform, first look at your operational situation.

1. Get as physically fit as possible now!

2. What does your support network look like. Ideally you want to be commonized in ammo magazine type. If you don't have a support network stars building one now.

3. As much as I love the .308/7.62 round, the .223/5.56 is far more forgiving and are effectively more accurate than full sized cartridges. Hits count if things take an unfortunate and hopefully never experienced turn for the terminal.

4. For most of us, $1,800 rifles are a waste. Pick up a good $500 dollar rifle , $300 in ammunition and get $1,000 in training. Confidence in your abilities and less expensive arm will serve you far better than high dollar toys. Range time pays dividends.

5. Start a formal strategic plan and threat analysis as soon as possible. Do the work and gather as much intelligence as reasonably possible. You may find your current premises are flawed and possible opposition is something completely different than what you're currently anticipating. That can change everything.

6. Start educating yourself in leadership, strategy and tactics. There are endless sources out there. SunTsu, Mao, Bonaparte, Caesar, Washington, Lawrence and many more - all available to learn from. Read and expand the mind. Creativity is crucial, the most important characteristic in successful leadership.

So, I've just picked up my first AR carbine. Range day this afternoon. I've been an M14/M1A and .308 bolt gun guy for decades. Now I need something handy, light and accurate. It makes sense.

Have I sufficiently clouded the issue?

I've seen pretty accurate AKs. The main problem with the AK is using cheap ammo. Having a better stock or trigger might help as well. What'll really help is an optic of some sort, the notch style sights are crude and simple but don't do well for accuracy.

I have no issues hitting what I need to hit with mine.

So true. Most comparisons are an AR with brass vs an AK with Tula. Maybe one day I'll do my own open sights video using steel case on both.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top