JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My guns are old-school hunting tools (or EDC), and I plan to keep them. They each fill a niche, and some are just plain fun.

But now, I'm seriously thinking of arming up for war. I hope and pray that day never comes, but with the world being what it is nowadays I'd be foolish to be unprepared.

So - what are your opinions about the rifles in the title? Which one do you think would be the most reliable & lethal, the most durable (even when neglected), and have more ammo available during hard times?

Any other rifle that should be up for consideration?

AR-10...
Too expensive to shoot a lot. If you like high volume shooting look elsewhere. Otherwise they are a fine heavy hitting gun but for punching paper or tin cans its kind of overkill. Not for everyone but if you also want to hunt just about anything up to moose size get this one. Might not be the best choice if you dont hunt. Its like buying a car that only burns race gas. Yeah, its fun but it gets expensive to drive.

AR-15. You can shoot it a LOT and have fun with it. You can hit what you aim at . You can add a .22 kit for even more fun shooting for very little money. Calibers galore...What's not to like unless you are one of those kinds of people that has to be different . Props for ammo availability and reliability. Got to get a shoutout to my favorite AR Caliber of all times... the .300 Blackout. Hell Ya. Quiet through cans and bops'em in the head hard.

AK... If you like to shoot a lot for relatively cheap and don't reload and don't care if you actually hit what you are shooting at the AK is for you. They're fun, reliable as all hell and are a total bullet hose....
Again...don't care if you actually hit what you are shooting at the AK is for you...
There's Nothing wrong with that !!!

Look at what you will ACTUALLY going to be doing with it? Putting down an insurrection or surviving off the grid? Probably not. Accessorizing it and turning it into a fashion accesory ...yep. My vote goes to the AR-15.

Last Edited:
Modern AR-15's are darn near as reliable as an AK. Check out YouTube for some meltdown videos (Iraqveteran8888).

Since they are plentiful, reliable and fairly cheap these days, I vote AR-15, a pile of PMags and LOTS of ammo!

I like the few of each option. But if I can only have one its gonna be an AR10.

For all intents and purposes, the AR-10, while being a great rifle, is not the ideal choice for packing around or even GTW applications. AR-15's interchange parts easily, almost universally. Ammo is light enough to carry a lot in a pack. Neither can be said for the AR-10.

For all intents and purposes, the AR-10, while being a great rifle, is not the ideal choice for packing around or even GTW applications. AR-15's interchange parts easily, almost universally. Ammo is light enough to carry a lot in a pack. Neither can be said for the AR-10.
Well we all make our choices. If for whatever unknown reason I have to leave my home with only one rifle and 1, 5 or 20 mags it is going to be my AR10. I personally don't care if I'm carrying 5 more pounds of weight. I want my .308/7.62.

Can of worms.......opened;)

Oh yah.

2016.06.28_can-of-worms-by-jason-crislip-jpeg1.jpg

But seriously, I vote for a few of each. And a pile of mags and ammo.

Truth.

This.

Another thought might be towards whom will be at hand to help you when the time we hope never comes, comes.

Might it be a few older folk, or perhaps a few younger folk?

AR15's and AK47's would be handier for them. With a slight lean towards AR15's (AK74, although not on your list, would trump both—IMO, however I'm very biased towards the platform).

Now...for the ranch...to keep "folk" at an extended distance? AR10.

**I also feel that FN 5.7 is near perfect as a personal defense caliber, say within 200yards for near any and all folk. Light enough to not be burdensome while out working, but allow you to carry enough to defend yourself and get to help.

Well we all make our choices. If for whatever unknown reason I have to leave my home with only one rifle and 1, 5 or 20 mags it is going to be my AR10. I personally don't care if I'm carrying 5 more pounds of weight. I want my .308/7.62.

Fair enough. I just like the idea of carrying more ammo, and the idea that in SHTF situations I'm way more likely to "find" parts, mags and more ammo that can get me back in the race. AR-10's (and I dig them big time) don't even have a spec that makes parts interchangable. .308 or not, it puts limits on me that I'm not comfortable with.

War? Well I guess if you plan to take on an army any reasonable kit would include a Barrett M107A1 and a pallet of 750 gr AMAX and some API for good measure.

Id probably still bring along a AK, HK and AR or three

I'm pretty sure Howard is asking for just one option here. So saying you'd grab all of them isn't really helping, fellas. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews