JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Price of the rifle favors the AR, to an extent. Price of ammo favors 7.62x39.

But the AK isn't much expensive. Plus 7.62x39 is going to be better in the AK than it would be the AR. Unless you get that fancy AR mutant.
The difference in ammo price is pennies a round. I got Federal 55 grain 5.56x45 for 25 cents a round with the rebate (Bimart), 62 grain for less than 28 cents. 7.62x39 hasn't changed much, 20-22 cents a round or so without shipping. Plus, the 5.56 is reloadable, which makes up for at least some of the difference. I also understand that during a "war" scenario, you may not have time to do much reloading. It is very close. I would choose either one, but he wanted one choice.

If the shooter is skilled at good bolt work and reloading. It's surprising to many people just how quickly a bolt rifle can shoot at a sustained rate with stripper clips.
Should have been with my Dad and Brother when they reopened deer season in Washington (many years ago) after two weeks. We ran into a Buck and Doe in a large area of slash. It was kind of like wack-a-mole, with the deer popping in and out of the piles at about 50-60 yards. We each emptied and reloaded our open sight bolt actions several times without stripper clips (30-06 and .303 British). It must of sounded like a WWI battle. Ended up with smoking barrels, Thankfully no deer were harmed in the making of this episode. Not a drop of blood to be found. Very embarrassing. I could have clubbed the Buck with my rifle during a reload - almost ran me over. We saw 5 deer that day and walked away empty handed - long story.

The difference in ammo price is pennies a round. I got Federal 55 grain 5.56x45 for 25 cents a round with the rebate (Bimart), 62 grain for less than 28 cents. 7.62x39 hasn't changed much, 20-22 cents a round or so without shipping. Plus, the 5.56 is reloadable, which makes up for at least some of the difference. I also understand that during a "war" scenario, you may not have time to do much reloading. It is very close. I would choose either one, but he wanted one choice.
Wolf 7.62x39 can be had as low as 19 cents a round. Also found 23 cents with free shipping so there's that. One COULD also reload for 7.62x39, while options aren't much it is doable. With a buffer on the dust cover you can also save brass. If you feel like using brass in an AK to reload that is.

If you are going to have to take ammo and mags off the enemy its going to be 5.56 and AR/M16 mags . 100 % of the time. Just saying.
If everyone used the AR sure. I can name plenty of folk in my area who uses neither. Better off stacking deep than relying on playing pick up.

Wolf 7.62x39 can be had as low as 19 cents a round. Also found 23 cents with free shipping so there's that. One COULD also reload for 7.62x39, while options aren't much it is doable. With a buffer on the dust cover you can also save brass. If you feel like using brass in an AK to reload that is.

If everyone used the AR sure. I can name plenty of folk in my area who uses neither. Better off stacking deep than relying on playing pick up.
That is why I have and like both. I do have reloading dies for both, but brass 7.62x39 is more expensive than the steel.

Oddly enough a few of our AK's didn't seem to like brass.
o_O Mine eats anything that's not coming out of the one KCI 30 round mag I have.

Its not the folk in your area who will be the enemy . Its the folk wearing the ACU you'll need to worry about,
If thinking from a civil war aspect sure, but that's from more of a militia aspect. Hard times comes off as shtf, which is more self preservation than a war.

That is why I have and like both. I do have reloading dies for both, but brass 7.62x39 is more expensive than the steel.
True, but it is an option. I don't really reload myself, cause there's not much cost saving in it for me. For the wasr I can get soft points and FMJ cheap. For the AUG or FAL I mostly shoot FMJ, and just use hunting ammo to sight in and go hunting.

SHTF in modern industrialized America begins with or at least transitions into martial law before a total collapse. Never forget that.
Then I'm "good" either way still. Right next to base, so... Screwed either way. o_O

One thing to consider, if you're playing pick up with mags and ammo you also have the gun there so it doesn't seem to matter what ya start with. o_O

o_O Mine eats anything that's not coming out of the one KCI 30 round mag I have.

If thinking from a civil war aspect sure, but that's from more of a militia aspect. Hard times comes off as shtf, which is more self preservation than a war.

True, but it is an option. I don't really reload myself, cause there's not much cost saving in it for me. For the wasr I can get soft points and FMJ cheap. For the AUG or FAL I mostly shoot FMJ, and just use hunting ammo to sight in and go hunting.
The AK and SKS were made to shoot steel. I reload brass for my bolt action Ruger M77 7.62x39.

Decent question. I like both. I have a high-end Ruger gas piston AR15 which is a real tack driver, runs cool and is easy to keep clean. I've also got 2 milled receiver AKs. The first one was a cheapo Century Arms model C39 V2. An OK gun, but the bolt and bolt carrier are wearing badly at near 3000 rounds. I decided to shelve that AK and bought an Arsenal SAM7SF. Expensive, but made with all the right stuff. The Century Arms AK is looking for a new home. My Ruger AR and my Arsenal AK should last me forever. Both excellent shooters and cheap to keep fed with ammo.
The AR is slightly more accurate at 100 yards. The AK stays very tight when cold but groups open up a little as the gun heats up.
I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle if you shop well.

My guns are old-school hunting tools (or EDC), and I plan to keep them. They each fill a niche, and some are just plain fun.

But now, I'm seriously thinking of arming up for war. I hope and pray that day never comes, but with the world being what it is nowadays I'd be foolish to be unprepared.

So - what are your opinions about the rifles in the title? Which one do you think would be the most reliable & lethal, the most durable (even when neglected), and have more ammo available during hard times?

Any other rifle that should be up for consideration?
If you're just looking for a prepper gun get a AK 47 there are lots out there get a middle of the road priced one get some mags ammo is pretty cheap you can order case's of 7.62/39 ammo cheap on line mags differ if you want metal ak mags they can be spendy but plastic ones can be found cheap just make sure they work

The steel mags can be had at decent prices. I got 3 Euro mags for $33 back when Apex had a sale going on for them. Yugo BHO mags can be had under $10 as well.

But keep in mind not all steel mags are equal... KCI mags are generally not worth it. 20s are worth it, but only cause Hungarian tankers are $34 each.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews