JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That I agree with. I know at 6'8" and 300 lbs My AR-10 doesn't feel that heavy. But after longer distances I am sure that the extra weight treking through the woods will add up.
What are ya, nephilim? :rolleyes:

For me weight depends on its distribution. I can carry my wasr much better than the FAL, despite being a pound heavier with its scope (commie optics are not lightweight).

My little Idaho town will be pretty well equipped to handle itself. I am a pretender compared to how some of the locals are outfitted. I got a friend that lives a few miles down the road who has a half a dozen full auto belt fed weapons, two being .50 BMG.. Oh and he has an APC mounted under them. Not that its a match for an invading army, but we will make it expensive for them to come through.
Duly noted, don't walk leisurely into small towns of Idaho during a collapse.

I prefer the 7.62x39 round. Proven, dependable and affordable in pallets [LOL]. Run an AK and a Ruger Mini Ranch in this round and you will not be sorry. Short and sweet from Pops this afternoon.

One of my favorite Abe Lincoln quotes is "Whatever you are, be a good one" I think a gun variant of something like "whatever you shoot, get a good one" will serve you well.

IMO having both an AK and AR would be ideal, train with both. Least that way you won't be in trouble if you have one or the other.

Just remember: AR with beer. AK with vodka.

And Garand with bourbon.

Because Red Bull may give you wings, but American sour mash whiskey gives you stones...

Yah, but I've got stones. No booze for me until I get an ultrasound and really get to see how bad they are.

...not a big drinker anyways, nothing in the house except a six pack from when we moved in and an unopened Kirkland mix pack. Their probably turned by now...

Normally I would ALWAYS say FAL, but givin the choices on the O.P.s list, I say small frame/receiver AR-10 with 20in medium weight barrel and a set of canted buis alongside a decent optic and a couple of bandilers of 20 round p-mags loaded with your fav hard hitting accurate ammo! Get your self a set of plates and carrier, and you should be all set! Make sure you choose a matching full size fighting pistol to ride the hip:D

My guns are old-school hunting tools (or EDC), and I plan to keep them. They each fill a niche, and some are just plain fun.

But now, I'm seriously thinking of arming up for war. I hope and pray that day never comes, but with the world being what it is nowadays I'd be foolish to be unprepared.

So - what are your opinions about the rifles in the title? Which one do you think would be the most reliable & lethal, the most durable (even when neglected), and have more ammo available during hard times?

Any other rifle that should be up for consideration?
Just so I get the question right. Since it sounds like you have the long distance rifles that you would want already. At long distance, a bolt action is just as fast as a semi-auto. The only thing you give up is magazine capacity. You really need something for medium distance, <300 yds. My first pick would be an AR-15 or equivalent, mostly because of price and availability of parts right now. I don't have anything against the 7.62x39 for <300 yds. I may or may not own a few or more. Right now, I think that the best value is in the 5.56x45 AR. It used to be a toss-up with the pros and cons of 5.56x45 and 7.62x39, but price favors the AR right now.

Vepr AK. Definitely my choice. Lethal accuracy, AK reliability. My ARs are not bad either since they are custom lefty ones I have built. Throw a few 75 round drums in the mix for the AK.

Just so I get the question right. Since it sounds like you have the long distance rifles that you would want already. At long distance, a bolt action is just as fast as a semi-auto. The only thing you give up is magazine capacity. You really need something for medium distance, <300 yds. My first pick would be an AR-15 or equivalent, mostly because of price and availability of parts right now. I don't have anything against the 7.62x39 for <300 yds. I may or may not own a few or more. Right now, I think that the best value is in the 5.56x45 AR. It used to be a toss-up with the pros and cons of 5.56x45 and 7.62x39, but price favors the AR right now.

I just want to understand this. Your saying a bolt action is just as fast to shoot as a semi automatic AR-10?

It used to be a toss-up with the pros and cons of 5.56x45 and 7.62x39, but price favors the AR right now.
Price of the rifle favors the AR, to an extent. Price of ammo favors 7.62x39.

But the AK isn't much expensive. Plus 7.62x39 is going to be better in the AK than it would be the AR. Unless you get that fancy AR mutant.

I just want to understand this. Your saying a bolt action is just as fast to shoot as a semi automatic AR-10?

Not to put words in his mouth, but my take on what he means is to make hits at 800 yards you have to take enough time with a semi auto to make the shot there is no discernable rate of fire difference between that and a bolt gun.

Not to put words in his mouth, but my take on what he means is to make hits at 800 yards you have to take enough time with a semi auto to make the shot there is no discernable rate of fire difference between that and a bolt gun.

Yeah, I'd second that for sure.

Thanks, that is exactly what I meant. Maybe should have expounded on the point.

If the shooter is skilled at good bolt work and reloading. It's surprising to many people just how quickly a bolt rifle can shoot at a sustained rate with stripper clips.

In either case, semi-auto or bolt, making effective hits at 800 yards, even on an area target, requires superior marksmanship.

If the shooter is skilled at good bolt work and reloading. It's surprising to many people just how quickly a bolt rifle can shoot at a sustained rate with stripper clips.

In either case, semi-auto or bolt, making effective hits at 800 yards, even on an area target, requires superior marksmanship.

Agreed. I've done it with repeatability with a .223. Not under duress, and some MAJOR Kentucky windage to boot. Of course, it was kinda like a bug on a windshield at that distance. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top