JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reasonable choice is a AR in 5.56. It might not be the best all around rifle but it will be the easiest to feed, find mags for and repair if need be. If you are really wanting an end of the world or fight to the death rifle I think its the logical choice.

The reasonable choice is a AR in 5.56. It might not be the best all around rifle but it will be the easiest to feed, find mags for and repair if need be. If you are really wanting an end of the world or fight to the death rifle I think its the logical choice.

Mic drop!

I'm pretty sure Howard is asking for just one option here. So saying you'd grab all of them isn't really helping, fellas. :)

Well they all have different attributes, strengths and weaknesses, so it's not super simple. But really, ARs are more reliable than people think and AKs are more accurate than people think (out to 200).

At the end of the day, there isn't a one size fits all solution. Otherwise you end up trying to putt with a 8 iron.

I have many AR15's it is a wonderful accurate platform. I have never cared for Russian arms in general, AK47's are a minute of a barn door accuracy but I do like the 7.62X39 caliber, it is the ballistic twin of the 30-30. The AR10 platform is not standardized enough for my taste. Different makers Parts frequently don't interchange. The only real AR10 used in a Military was made by armalite for the Dutch and they had a nasty habit of blowing up. I love my SCAR 17s and Parts are remarkably available as they are for a FAL. The SCAR is also as accurate as my M24 sniper rifle. I would recommend starting with a quality AR (they are very cheep today) get familiar with it and expand into a 7.62X51 of your choosing with time.

Last Edited:
Well they all have different attributes, strengths and weaknesses, so it's not super simple. But really, ARs are more reliable than people think and AKs are more accurate than people think (out to 200).

At the end of the day, there isn't a one size fits all solution. Otherwise you end up trying to putt with a 8 iron.

Of course, that's why the can of worms was opened.

There is no cookie-cutter answer here, but for the sake of the original question, let's try and narrow it down to one choice from the options given. Regardless of what we end up putting with. :D

Well we all make our choices. If for whatever unknown reason I have to leave my home with only one rifle and 1, 5 or 20 mags it is going to be my AR10. I personally don't care if I'm carrying 5 more pounds of weight. I want my .308/7.62.

There have been times when I would have given almost anything to get even five pounds off my back.
And times when another few pounds may have put me clear out of action.

A hundred rounds of 5.56 weighs as much as a hundreds rounds of 9mm.
I appreciate that. ;)

Honestly, with the saturated AR market, buy an AR15. Cheap mags, cheap parts, cheap kits, cheap uppers.. tons of spare parts all around for "SHTF" scenarios. Tons of ammo load options. Local ammo everywhere.

Aslo you can simply buy a 7.62x39 upper and some mags and have two caliber options and still save money.

Or for a grand (roughly 899-999) you can buy a matching AR and AK set from PSA.

Last Edited:
There have been times when I would have given almost anything to get even five pounds off my back.

I appreciate that. ;)

There is also the ammo cost factor which is very well worth considering.

AK is least expensive, AR15 next with AR10 most expensive to shoot.

AK is also "least likely" to reload for, so there is that in there as well.

No sense on having a decent platform, but you do not use it well due to lack of practice.

There is also the ammo cost factor which is well worth considering.

AK is least expensive, AR15 next with AR10 most expensive to shoot.

AK is also "least likely" to reload for, so there is that in there as well.

AK is only the cheapest because the majority of folks shooting them buy steel cased non-reloadable Russian ammo. Brass to brass the AR wins. And I only shoot brass cased ammo. :)

AK is only the cheapest because the majority of folks shooting them buy steel cased non-reloadable Russian ammo. Brass to brass the AR wins. And I only shoot brass cased ammo. :)

Hopefully if you are buying a rifle to fight with you are not planning on feeding it Tula or Wolf

I appreciate that. ;)
And any one of us could end up on the losing end of things in the first exchange. I'd rather have the option of going long range and I feel more comfortable with the 10 in that realm. If all I had was a 5.56 that would work as well. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here you grab your .223/5.56 I'm grabbing my .308/7.62.

I could drive a Prius and get much better fuel mileage, but I like my Cummins powered Dodge. Just the way it is fella's ;)

And any one of us could end up on the losing end of things in the first exchange. I'd rather have the option of going long range and I feel more comfortable with the 10 in that realm. If all I had was a 5.56 that would work as well. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here you grab your .223/5.56 I'm grabbing my .308/7.62.

I could drive a Prius and get much better fuel mileage, but I like my Cummins powered Dodge. Just the way it is fella's ;)

I get what you're saying, but in most situations the S is going to HTF in an urban situation, where contact will be made at 300 or less. I've personally hit to 800 with an AR in .223. No, I wouldn't recommend it at all for those ranges. But thinking you'll have a tactical, elevational and distance advantage is honestly not very realistic. I don't know about you, but I can't see a silhouette with just my eyes at 800.

I'll cover up to 500. You watch my six and save your ammo for the long range targets. :)

I get what you're saying, but in most situations the S is going to HTF in an urban situation, where contact will be made at 300 or less. I've personally hit to 800 with an AR in .223. No, I wouldn't recommend it at all for those ranges. But thinking you'll have a tactical, elevational and distance advantage is honestly not very realistic. I don't know about you, but I can't see a silhouette with just my eyes at 800.

I'll cover up to 500. You watch my six and save your ammo for the long range targets. :)
Deal! Although I'm likely to need a lot of ammo :D But that could be said if I was using a 5.56 as well.

I don't like being hemmed in like that anyway. O.P. I disagree with the premise of the question. To me though there is no doubt which rifle I'm grabbing if TSHTF.

I already dropped .45acp and went to 9mm for EDC. I can't be expected to abandon .308 for .223........ o_O

I doubt anyone would be reloading during "WAR".
Howard my friend,AK all the way.
Preferably Chinese.

I doubt anyone would be reloading during "WAR".
Howard my friend,AK all the way.
Preferably Chinese.

You are 100% correct that reloading would be moot if things got real. And yes, if you choose AK, get a Chinese version.

Good posting, even though I disagree! :)

You bring your Dodge and your AR10.... I'll bring my F450 and Barrett .50 BMG (and a couple friends with AR15's):D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top