JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Things I have or have had: .22 Hornet, .221 Rem., 222 Remington, .257 Roberts, 7x61 Sharpe & Hart, .30-40 Krag, .300 H&H Mag., .35 Brown-Whelen, .375 Win., .38 Short Colt. Things I want: 6x5x55 Swede., 7x57 Mauser, 7.65 Mauser. After looking...a lot of these aren't all that obsolete. Least not to me. Nothing is as long as you can get dies and make cases !

I kind of like the less common calibers, my favorite being the .270WSM, also have modern 6.5x55 Swede, and recently bought my son a Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Federal, a modern oddball cartridge. As for handguns, how about a Beretta .22 Minx. (.22 short only, tilt barrel) Would still like to have a .270 Redding built, just to have something totally different, and a .223 AI.

The .22K Hornet. Great little varmint and pest cartridge! My favorite feature is that if you hit a ground squirrel it turns into red mist, but the recoil is so low that you can watch the bullet's impact through the scope! Great fun! I shoot it in a Kimber Mod 82, that was assembled with the most perfectly mating parts. It is very accurate for a light sporter. I was a machinist at Kimber of Oregon back in the day.

.401 WSL. Dad and I shot that some years ago. Then it wore and went bang 5 times really fast. Good thing we never tried it's 10 round mag.

Hee! Hee! Hee!.

My buddy in High School (on the rifle team) had a Squires Bingham .22lr auto rifle. Very large gun (man-sized .22), and seemed of very high quality (bluing fine, good walnut, etc.). The action looked like a copy of a Mossberg. He bought it in a pawn shop, had it and shot the heck out of it for about 2-3 months (we shot the literal Haedes out of our .22's then), and then it started double-tapping. Then it started triple and quad-tapping. Finally, it was the BATFE's (ATF then) worst nightmare. TEENAGERS WITH A .22 MACHINE GUN! We only regretted the tube held a mere 15 rounds. GAWD that was fun.

I had a Gevarm 22LR that fired a magazine continuously after it dirtied up. Clean it and within another box or so it would string the rounds up the target evenly spaced.

That .401 would put you on your backside after 5. The 5 went so quick, it sounded like one big bang. Repairs were impossible without parts. Gunsmith Lou Fransen would not make parts probably due to liability.

The .22K Hornet. Great little varmint and pest cartridge! My favorite feature is that if you hit a ground squirrel it turns into red mist, but the recoil is so low that you can watch the bullet's impact through the scope! Great fun! I shoot it in a Kimber Mod 82, that was assembled with the most perfectly mating parts. It is very accurate for a light sporter. I was a machinist at Kimber of Oregon back in the day.

I once accidently seated some thinly jacketed .22 Hornet bullets into some .22-.250 reloads. Got out shooting and it took me awhile to figure out why my bullets werent even hitting the target...from a normally sub inch rifle. :) Poof ! That too was fun to watch once I figured out where to look !

I shot some .45 Super the other day for the first time. Buffalo Bore hardcast 255 grain. I really like it. Flies at about 1070fps with that heavy a bullet. Didn't seem to kick as hard as I thought it would.

5.7x28 is still my fav oddball ammo, but I thought the 45 Super deserved a mention since until a couple months ago I didn't even know it existed.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=215

I picked up an old 32-40 win in a nice marlin model 93. My grandpa gave it to me. It has a 26 inch octagon barrel. I had never shot one before and its accuracy was awesome. Especially for being a hundred year old rifle! None of the large ammo manufacturers even produce loaded ammo in this caliber anymore. I can still find brass, but the popularity of the 32-40 has long passed. It is definately a rare caliber in a rare gun.

I kind of like the less common calibers, my favorite being the .270WSM, also have modern 6.5x55 Swede, and recently bought my son a Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Federal, a modern oddball cartridge. As for handguns, how about a Beretta .22 Minx. (.22 short only, tilt barrel) Would still like to have a .270 Redding built, just to have something totally different, and a .223 AI.

Timeless. They sure got that one right, one of the first smokeless cartridges. Smart guys those Swedes.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top