JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well who can forget the .432 Clippen snocker and the .367 Poppen Snot. They were both so popular in their day. But when the .339 Yahooby Clam Shooter came on the scene we all had to switch over for good reasons. Oh I remember them like it was yesterday. Oh wait, it was yesterday. I must have been dreaming.

Hahaha don't forget the .257 worben clipper

I strive for weird.

P2180019.jpg
.256 Winchester Magnum

THERE! I think I succeeded in a list of previously not-mentioned ones.:yes:

Spitpatch - first mention of the .256 Win Mag - I know a guy that has a ruger hawkeye in .256 win mag he is lookin to sell if you need a handgun to match ;)

For a Reacher, a Pre. 64 - .264 Winchester mag. ''Westerner'' a 26'' barrel and 140 grain Spitzer pill.

For the brush close up and personal I like the .350 Remington mag. accompanied by a 250 grain spire point bullet and a 20'' barrel.
Works like a charm.

My 2 favorites in wildcats that I used to have were a 6.5-06 which is just a 30-06 case necked down to 6.5mm the second was at .230 ackley short. that was an odball that used a true 23 caliber bullet u had to swage urself. But needless to say they are both gone now. My wife had a large breast tumor that had to be removed and they went down the road along with my python my sig 220 my 870 and several others : ( but would rather have my wife than the guns

Swede: Yeah, I want a Hawkeye just as bad as I wanted Katie Dow in the back of the school bus at 14.

She was out of my league, and I've got a feeling your buddy's pistol is too (what's he want for it?).

I'll probably have to remain content with my Contender barrel if I want to shoot .256 pistol.

For a Reacher, a Pre. 64 - .264 Winchester mag. ''Westerner'' a 26'' barrel and 140 grain Spitzer pill.

For the brush close up and personal I like the .350 Remington mag. accompanied by a 250 grain spire point bullet and a 20'' barrel.
Works like a charm.

THERE is a coupla class acts. My father's first "out west" rifle when we moved to Winnemucca, Nevada in 1959 was a Westerner. He even cut out the magazine ad and framed it, hung it in the gun room. It showed an imposing close-up of the Model 70's muzzle and hooded sight (all else blurred in the background). If I recall correctly (and I used to stare at that picture for hours thinking how cool it was), the caption read: "Winchesters new .264 Magnum. The Westerner. It makes a helluva noise and packs a helluva wallop."

I still want one.

I DO have a .350 Rem (700 classic). It works.
img041.jpg

Remington Model 700 Classic, Caliber .350 Remington Magnum. Leupold 1.75-6x, 225g Nosler Partition, 2650fps. "Regressed" horns on this ancient,huge muley buck. He's probably at the end of his lifespan, all silver-faced, but his horns reverted back to forky.

Nice buck!!!! '' Great memories are what life is about''.
I had the privilege to dog hunt bear and cat before the ban. I can tell you for sure shooting a falling bear in the air that is alive and willing to kick your but when he gets to you is my best true hunting story. He left the tree as I was going to collect the dogs and leave. This was a small bear, but not a cub. Teenagers are the most dangerous bear. As he shuttled off the trunk back out on the fir limb, the shavings started to fall for the first time.
I dropped the leashes and starter to shoulder the gun. Scraping sounds and more shavings coming down a gimps he was in the air my scope passing his head that second. The shot was fired and he lay at my feet from 25 - 30 feet up, not more.
I never gave it a second thought until years later like in the last few years. Life can be that way.
Anyway the jacketed Speer 250 grain spire point hit him in the back teeth and in the lower jaw braking it clean both sides. Nothing but hydrostatic shock killed that bear. His neck was not broken I was his doctor.
He fell dead within five feet of me. Memories are GREAT Thanks for that one and yours.

Dog hunter too, as a younger man. Still keep a couple Plott's around for lawn ornaments/garbage disposals. I had a shot 'coon land on top of my head once (with 12 dogs at my feet). Twelve dogs then on top of me (in a quickly-assumed fetal position). Everybody thought it was pretty funny, except the 'coon and me.

I would very much like to have a Remington 600 in .350mag. By the description of your 20" barrel, I'm taking a guess at that's what you have, Silver Hand? I have 660's in .308 and .243. Both are great guns, but both cartridges are also better suited to a 22" barrel. In the .350 mag, the 20" barrel is perfect.

I wish the .358 Winchester and .350 mag were a little less expensive to shoot. Either way, I plan on owning one or both someday.

Thanks for the stories and for Spitpatch' photos. Kip.

I'd argue that the .350 is better in a longer barrel than 20" (for purposes of allowing the cartridge all it can do). I would agree that the 20" barrel in the 600 .350 makes for probably the snappiest, handiest, most power per the package. Remington recognized the preference for a shorter barrel for the .350 fans when they chambered the 700 Classic for it: it is 22" (as compared to most of the offerings done in the Classic, which came with 24" barrels). The .350 case is nearly identical to a .30-06 for capacity (better twin is the .35 Whelen). Most would agree that a 20" '06 or Whelen would be a bit harnessed away from full potential.

I took the "short and stubby" concept even further when choosing the scope: The Leupold 1.75-6x is about the stubbiest looking Leupold made (apart from the 1x-4x and 1.5-5x models with no objective bell).

That smelly old muley took that 225g Nosler into the ball of the shoulder, and the bullet exited out the hip diagonally clean through the whole animal. Range was about 175yds.

I guess you could say I favor the oddball rounds, besides the usual suspects I own;

219 Donaldson Wasp
19 Calhoon
224 Clark
254 Sage Rat Express (in the works anyway)
17 Remington (not to odd, but getting more scarce)

KK: isn't the Newton just a variation of a .25-06?? (Perhaps the FIRST variation.) Forming cases should not be a huge issue. I know the forming die set has been done, because I've seen a set. Ackley talks about it too. I hope you are not allowing the gun to languish simply because factory ammo is not available.

BGD: Okay, what's your .254 SRE? (I'm a sucker for anything .25). I had a Mini-Mauser rebarreled for .25PPC. (6PPC necked up). I call it the .25 Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge.

KK: isn't the Newton just a variation of a .25-06?? (Perhaps the FIRST variation.) Forming cases should not be a huge issue. I know the forming die set has been done, because I've seen a set. Ackley talks about it too. I hope you are not allowing the gun to languish simply because factory ammo is not available.

BGD: Okay, what's your .254 SRE? (I'm a sucker for anything .25). I had a Mini-Mauser rebarreled for .25PPC. (6PPC necked up). I call it the .25 Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge.

254 SRE started out as just talk about one-upping my buddy who has a 2 56 winchester... It is essentially a 454 Casull necked down with an Ackley-esque sharp shoulder. So far I have reamers, I made forming dies and a fireforming chamber. I have yet to chamber a rifle, but it is in the works. I like the sound or your 25 "PPC"..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top