JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really appreciate your postings here HB. Helps me be aware of my surroundings, which are further than the end of my driveway:eek:. Thanks man and keep em coming. BTW, anyone heard of the fissure at Union Gap?

Last Edited:
Two Quakes. 5.8 and 5.1 mag. Both shallow. About 175 miles West of Ferndale Northern California. Somewhat south of the Cascadia but who knows. About 8:45 am+ -, Thursday, 25 January, 2018. Nothing felt here at 42N, 123W. That is all.

I have experienced a lot of quakes. Like journalism in general, they always show the worst loss and damage they can find. I was sleeping on one of my 100 foot tugboats the morning of the Northridge quake about 10 miles from the center. It never woke me. There was damage and loss of life but it was very localized off course all the press coverage was of the most effected areas. There would be blocks and blocks of places without any serious damage, then a block of apartments built over parking garages that had fallen down completely. We were listed in the Yellow Pages as a marine Salvage company........our phones immediately began ringing with calls to see if we could help people. Eventually we learned a new trade (quickley) in setting up fallen mobile homes and installing earthquake braces. My commercial divers grumbled but drew full divers wages for 4 months as we were setting up 3 entire mobile home parks. None of the mobile homes were damaged beyond simple repair. My favorite Jewish deli (Abe's) had lost its glass front and when the inspectors came buy, they decided the building had never been up to code (even before the quake) so it took him 6 month to rebuild and reopen. My engineer wife lived most of her life in the Bay Area. She was deeply involved with the Alameda quake that collapsed the double deck 880 freeway. She went in with first responders to instruct them how to rescue survivors and recover bodies crushed under the two freeways. Was a bad day for a lot of people off course but millions of people came through with little more than things falling off walls in there homes. Given a choice, I prefer an earth quake to a big fire like the one that happened a few years later in the Oakland Hills. Modern (and many older) structures are well equipped to handle good size quakes but the drama of loss is always more interesting to report on than the success of survival. The most interesting thing I ever saw as a result of an earthquake was in the Southern California desert near Landers Ca where the San Andreas split and moved the highway sideways 30 feet.

Thank you mrblond. Yep. Seems things are quite dynamic. I hope that is a good sign stress is being released. What concerns me is that these ongoing smaller earthquakes are PERHAPS just the final last gasp PRECURSOR to failure mode of the entire long fault line? Then what will happen?

The big one. The largest recorded earthquake in human history. 9.7. A 100 foot tsunami at Crescent City South. A 200 foot above sea level run up at Yhauts. Florence no longer exits. Zero survivors along ANY beach. But in my nightmares this will happen in early August this summer 2018. Noontime.

Yikes. More special orange juice please. :(

I'll be writing my posts from a nice beach hut on the west side of Omaha...looking out to sea and thinking about you all with wistful affection.

tac

That probably won't occur unless the super volcano explodes under Yellowstone Park and then I would not want to be in Omaha. :)

4.0 Mag., off the Oregon Coast about due West of Eugene. I can not pin point it. About 1:23 am this morning, 16 March, 2018. About 6.2 miles deep. I did not feel anything in SW OR USA. That is all.

I have a bldg. in Philomath that is about 50 years and built on a slab. I had sheetrock crack and floor tile crack awhile back. There is no construction in the area.

I took a CERT class thru the city of Salem a few years back. Basically a prep class for this very event. I highly recommended it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top