JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Wineglasses, antique vases, Humpty Dumpty, hip bones, hearts: what breaks quickly generally mends slowly, if at all. osspac estimates that in the I-5 corridor it will take between one and three months after the earthquake to restore electricity, a month to a year to restore drinking water and sewer service, six months to a year to restore major highways, and eighteen months to restore health-care facilities. On the coast, those numbers go up. Whoever chooses or has no choice but to stay there will spend three to six months without electricity, one to three years without drinking water and sewage systems, and three or more years without hospitals. Those estimates do not apply to the tsunami-inundation zone, which will remain all but uninhabitable for years." (The New Yorker article "The Big One")

Above is from the New Yorker article of a few years back. The problem is that most people think, if they think at all, small. When electricity goes out so does refrigeration and air conditioning. The elderly will die in great numbers, especially if this should happen during the summer months. Chilled medicines will fail and run out dooming many more people in 3-6 months. Bad water and sanitation will kill many more as common medicines will no longer be available to the masses. Foodstuffs and potable water will become valuable items to purchase/steal and hoard. Gasoline will run out as pumps will pail and tankers cannot traverse the roadways. As winter approaches shelter will become even more important. One cannot count on FEMA to be there for you. If you don't help you, who will.
I may be late, but I am starting out with a 30 day supply of food but also buying bulk basics (rice, sugar, flour, salt & grains). As time goes on I will augment that with more bucket and can purchases. Camping supplies, packs, first aid equipment, shovels and pry bars along with fire starters and more. As I live in an apartment now shelter will be more of a problem for me. Hopefully I can deal with that in the next couple of years. Its not panic but open eyes and face forward stuff.

Now you are making us seriously reconsider our possible relocation to Brookings Oregon from Cave Junction Oregon. From the frying pan directly into the red hot fire? Yikes. Maybe Bend or Klamath Falls Oregon sounds better? Just thinking.

Last Edited:
The underground forces seem to be realigning themselves as of late. Montana, Yellowstone,and now off the Oregon coast. Think I'm gonna go inflate the raft tomorrow.

"Goin' to Surf City ... Gonna' Have Some Fun" ...

YIKES!! 'Fleeing FROM Surf City ... On The Run!"

Surf is up. I mean it is really UP! About as UP AS I HAVE EVER SEEN IT!!! Run. Run! Run!! RUN!!! Too late! AUGHHHHH!! Glug glug. :)

Last Edited:
In all seriousness, after watching the tsunami in Japan of a few years ago, I find the idea of one on the Oregon coast to be frightening. My ex-inlaws have a place in Neskowin which is a very nice coastal community, but one with limited ex-fil (2 streets cross the creek) that will be a deathtrap. Large hill across the highway but to go up one has to get there first.
A 10-20 ft surge would be absolutely devastating, those who survive would be cut off for sometime, and I am sure no one is prepared. Even tho we all have considered "what would I do when...", think of all of those who say "that's silly, never gonna happen". I come from the other direction, I hope that i'm wrong but I'd rather be ready.
What did I do to prepare for trouble in Neskowin? Dropped the ex. Have no reason to go anymore!

I bought a PTO generator for my Kubota yesterday and just need to get it mounted. If the diesel tank doesn't take a hit we will have power and water.

Now you are making us seriously reconsider our possible relocation to Brookings Oregon from Cave Junction Oregon. From the frying pan directly into the red hot fire? Yikes. Maybe Bend or Klamath Falls Oregon sounds better? Just thinking.
Find a place with a nice view from above in Brookings

Lots of nicer foreclosure homes in Brookings. The concern would be age, codes employed, construction, actual altitude, distance, escape routes, etc.. The lending institutions also tend to want too much $money$ for one. A private gated community with the infamous home owners association is a no goer.

The run ups in Japan were incredible. So was the ground motion in some areas. We still are researching Brookings.

Another 5.0; this time off the Northern California coast. I did not feel a thing at 42N, 123W. 29 July, 2017 at about 0245 hours right now. I do not know exactly when the quake hit. Seems there is a cluster going on. That is all.

4.3 Thereabouts. Yesterday, 10 August, 2017, right at 12 noon PDT. About 120 km due W of Brookings Oregon. I did not feel a thing at 42N, 123W in the Illinois Valley SW OR. Shallow focus. That is all.

An interesting perspective on a SHTF scenario....(this series on audible.com)
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ix=franklin+horton,aps,215&crid=2BFGN4HF7171L
51vJBoaWDWL._AC_US218_.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top