JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
May 14, 2017 or slightly before. Did we have another about Mag 4 Cascadia earthquake? Again off shore West of Southern Oregon. I felt nothing at about 43N, 123W. Kinda. Illinois Valley. Are these "stress relievers" or "stress accumulators"? Dunno. Yikes!

I rode out The Nisqually in Eatonville in a trench box laying pipe eight feet. And one thing I learned about earthquakes was, anyone that says they know something about earthquakes if full of shuet;).
Best guess? 50 a definite lead up or 50 just normal rumblings:p.

I rode out The Nisqually in Eatonville in a trench box laying pipe eight feet. And one thing I learned about earthquakes was, anyone that says they know something about earthquakes if full of shuet;).
Best guess? 50 a definite lead up or 50 just normal rumblings:p.

I was working at Boeing at the customer services towers was on the 2nd floor only. I got shaken a bit only. On the 6th floor they had large computer monitors fell on the floor and filing cabinets fell over. We went to the Holiday Inn across the street for lunch after that since all of the roads were grid locked with people trying to get home. It was after 2:00PM before I drove home. Did not trust the piers that supported the elevated sections for I-5 that was south of downtown Seattle so I took that long way home. I guess the piers were OK since were large amounts of traffic that day like always.

Last Edited:
May 20, 2017. Some more activity off the Coast. South End, North End. I do hope this is normal.

Don't stress yourself out over these movements. o_O My guess is the thing is always moving and watching it won't help predict the big one.

Do your best to be prepared and live your life. If the big one hits then your ready. The one thing I have learned is life is short and you can't live it in fear either.

May 20, 2017. Some more activity off the Coast. South End, North End. I do hope this is normal.

As far as I understand, these types of quakes are common and not necessarily an indicator that a big Cascadia type event is about to occur. They say the plates we sit over are moving at about 1-2" per year - and as they move, occasionally stress is released in the rocks.

Here is a piece of info:

4. How often do earthquakes occur in the Pacific Northwest?
Typically, each year we locate over 1000 earthquakes with magnitude 1.0 or greater in Washington and Oregon. Of these, approximately two dozen are large enough to be felt. These felt events offer us a subtle reminder that the Pacific Northwest is an earthquake-prone region. As residents of the Pacific Northwest, we should be prepared for the consequences of larger earthquakes that could result in damage to the transportation systems, lifelines and buildings. There have been about 25 damaging earthquakes in Washington and Oregon since 1872. In the 20th century, about 17 people lost their lives due to earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest.

Source: Frequently Asked Questions | Pacific Northwest Seismic Network

I was working at Boeing at the customer services towers was on the 2nd floor only. I got shaken a bit only. On the 6th floor they had large computer monitors fell on the floor and filing cabinets fell over. We went to the Holiday Inn across the street for lunch after that since all of the roads were grid locked with people trying to get home. It was after 2:00PM before I drove home. Did not trust the piers that supported the elevated sections for I-5 that was south of downtown Seattle so I took that long way home. I guess the piers were OK since were large amounts of traffic that day like always.
I remember being in a meeting in Corvallis when I felt the seismic wave go under us. Weird feeling, and then waiting for more shakes and rumbles. Thankfully they didn't come.

... Did not trust the piers that supported the elevated sections for I-5 that was south of downtown Seattle so I took that long way home. I guess the piers were OK since were large amounts of traffic that day like always.

Whenever I'm on a high bridge, I inevitably think to myself -- "OK, no earthquake zone!" I wish I could stop but it has been decades now.

Another small 3.1 earthquake off the Bandon Oregon coast. Looks like right on the fault. As long as these small ones continue to happen that might mean the big one is postponed? Dunno. Hope so. Eventually we will find out.

Another small 3.1 earthquake off the Bandon Oregon coast. Looks like right on the fault. As long as these small ones continue to happen that might mean the big one is postponed? Dunno. Hope so. Eventually we will find out.
Unfortunately, not likely. The stress just gets added to adjacent areas. Always look at EQ depth (20-30km) as well as location. I'll be concerned if the frequency, not necessarily magnitude of these increase, but this is just background level seismicity for now.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews