JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
29 September, 2017 kinda. Mag. 3. 10 Km deep. Located at about 43.4N, 126..8W. Nothing felt at about 42N, 123W. This may or may not be related to the ongoing small swarm off the Northern Californian cost. That is all.

17 Oct. 2017. The swarm of about 2.0 mag earthquakes continue along the southern end of the Cascadia fault. Does anybody well versed in this stuff have an idea what is going on? Are these many small south end quakes good or bad? That is all.

3.9 to 4.7 mag, depending upon the site hit. 27 Nov., 2017. Off the W coast of Vancouver Island. About 17 miles deep. This appears to be on the Northern End of the big Cascadia Fault? That is all.

It is only a matter of time but these frequent smaller quakes help relieve pressures that would cause a big one. The science of plate tectonics is still full of way more questions than answers and we learn more every year, new faults are discovered and become active all the time. Here at Hell's Canyon, the west side of the river was actually at the equator at one time and eventually drifted to makeup the North American continent that we know today. The geology on one side of the river is completely different than on the other side. Eventually the Snake river found the joint and used it to drain the area south west of Yellowstone. The earth is a dynamic enviorment that is changing all the time. Did you ever wonder how oil came to be in places like the artic or the Middle East? At one time, both places were thick rain forest enviorments that when covered produced oil. Our prospective as humans is so short (100 years?) that we don't see the changes going on around us all the time. That is what makes earth quakes, mountain ranges, volcanoes, most of the topography we take for granted but it makes for a fun conversation.

The earth is a dynamic enviorment that is changing all the time.

People in general seem to have a perception of how the earth "should" be. And that perception is static. Is it idealistic, romanticized? There is a "perfect" state? Or is it supposed to be like when we were growing up and learning about the world around us? Should it be warmer, cooler, drier, wetter? Nope, it is what it is. And what it is, is always changing.

Remember the Mt St Helen's eruption back in 1980? Pretty impressive, eh, and took some lives as well.

Go to Crater Lake, and look at the caldera there - almost 6 miles across, and reflect that Mount Mazama, whose eruption gave us this wonder of nature, erupted only 7700 years ago - nothing at all in the scheme of things. You can find traces of the detritus in Saskatchewan and North of Whistler in BC

Men were around - the Fort Rock Sandals were buried under a layer of Mt Mazama ash, and the local tribes have a racial memory of it happening with their tribal stories of the fire god, Llal...

The Mount Mazama eruption was fifty times bigger than Mt St Helens....

tac

Remember the Mt St Helen's eruption back in 1980? Pretty impressive, eh

I remember watching the plume in person, albeit at a distance, and then the resulting ashes all over, when I was a small child. My late uncle had a home in the general area and we were visiting. It was indeed impressive and, though a long time ago, it did leave a lasting impression.

Slightly off topic but what the heck. Back in 1990 when the backhoe dug our shallow depth water well he hit a BIG thick layer of volcanic ash. At the time we wondered the geologic history of that layer. About 8 feet down. Now thinking it may have come from Crater Lake Mt. Mazama? BOOM! Yikes!

I am still banking on the one in thirty, (1 in 30) to one in 50, (1 in 50) chance of the Cascadia Big One happening in my remaining lifetime. But I do think about the young family. And their eventual kids. The family future here in SW Oregon. Something to consider. We continue to look at North East Texas.

EDITED EXTRA!!!! I did it!! Equal Paragraph Length Possible! :) :) :)

Slightly off topic but what the heck. Back in 1990 when the backhoe dug our shallow depth water well he hit a BIG thick layer of volcanic ash. At the time we wondered the geologic history of that layer. About 8 feet down. Now thinking it may have come from Crater Lake Mt. Mazama? BOOM! Yikes!

Yup.

Now, imagine a lake that stretches from the Columbia Gorge all the way down to the hills around Eugene, and sixty-eighty miles wide. Only the top ten feet of the US Bank building would be showing above the water level...

That was the legacy of the last outpouring of Glacial Lake Missoula, about 12,000 years ago.

And the reason why the Willamette Valley is a crop-grower's paradise.

tac

I am still banking on the one in thirty, (1 in 30) to one in 50, (1 in 50) chance of the Cascadia Big One happening in my remaining lifetime. But I do think about the young family. And their eventual kids. The family future here in SW Oregon. Something to consider. We continue to look at North East Texas.

EDITED EXTRA!!!! I did it!! Equal Paragraph Length Possible! :) :) :)
But then you're moving out of the Cascadia frying pan into the Yellowstone Supervolcano and New Madrid Seismic Zone fires... could be worse, at least it'll be over quick, unlike when the Lanzarote Landslide inundates everything east of the Appalachians.

Too bad our fault is so deep, impossible to access and repair with the technologies and materials available. California, on the other hand, can fill and cushion the San Andreas fault with Hollywood celebrities.

sa fault.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads