JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You do know that a WML lights a whole room right? You don't have to point it at someone to see them? I could point my WML straight behind me and still have enough bounce light to ID someone in front of me. I only point the light at you if I want to completely blind you, and if I do that I probably have made the decision you are are least worth considering shooting.
Are we talking about searching your house or are you barricaded waiting for the police to arrive?

Depends a lot on ambient light in ur home such as little nightlights etc. I suppose some people keep it pitch black also I dunno.

I was given one of those o light laser and light little bastards and it's pretty cool.

6C549F9A-FF43-4FDC-8544-0F42CCF3B711.jpeg

No, thats called searching. You should not be pointing a gun at anyone you have not first 100% positively identified, first. Use the WML to aim, not identify. Use a flashlight to identify.
That is situation dependent. Not going to dive into what if's and hypothetical situations or a given individuals competence/training but there are times where I agree with this statement and others I would disagree.

Are we talking about searching your house or are you barricaded waiting for the police to arrive?
I'm not going to clear a house solo. That is a big gamble no matter what the situation. I am going to gather my family, put them behind me and lock down the approach. But even for the whole "gather everyone up" phase I will still be using bounce-light from the WML at low ready to see and light the way. Other people can turn on lights or whatever, I have a light with me I can use. Once my family is behind me I will be making the assumption that any other person in the house is worth flagging and blinding, or at the very least blinding with the cone while I hold just off of them, should I be less sure of the situation. Either way the gun will be all the way up and ready to engage the confirmed unknown (everyone known accounted for).

If I bump into an unknown while still gathering the fam that is just an exercise in going from low ready to on target. The light at that point is incidental, but should still be effective at blinding when it comes all the way up.

If I do not need a light (people have turned on a bunch, it is still light outside, etc.) the light just stays off. The light is still useful for blinding even in bright indoor light, and I have it set up to go on with my natural firing grip, so if I am about to shoot the target is getting blinded regardless. Sucks to be them, make better life choices.

Wife has the job to get dispatch on the phone. We already know the local protocol; "We have a police emergency at <location>, home invasion, X residents, Y of us are armed. We are located in the house <here> and look like <this>. Please instruct the responding officer to make positive contact. <run though contact protocol with dispatch>." etc.

Anything past this situation I will probably be wanting different kit, and I will put that together to suit whatever situation it is.

I only have one light and it's not on my EDC, just saying. I personally think they make a pistol too bulky.
That said I would love to see how well you shoot at the light when your pupils are wide gathering light in a dark house and someone hits you with a strobe.
I dont know about your house but mines a freakin' barn. 75 foot shots all over the place. If Im blinded to the point where all I see is the light thats what Im shooing in the general direction of. Thats just me.

In an ideal scenario, I can positively ID a target (either via peripheral light or otherwise) before the muzzle covers them.

HOWEVER - and I'm confident that I'll ruffle some feathers here - I will absolutely point my loaded weapon and the attached WML at an unknown intruder in my home before I can positively ID them if my circumstances are such that I feel I need to.

The rule is not to point your gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

The thing is - I am willing to destroy an uninvited intruder, in the dark, in my home, if I reasonably feel they are a sufficient threat. And until I can confirm they are not, I will assume they are. Furthermore, I believe this is an entirely reasonable position to take, even if it flies in the face of some conventionally accepted home defense "wisdom".

"Am I the only one who things that flashlights on weapons are counterproductive?"

To each their own.
Personally, I don't have any weapon mounted lights and I specifically purchase handgun models that do not have the under lugs to attach a light. But it is foolish to suggest that it is "counterproductive". Just because you have a light mounted on the firearm does not mean it has to be activated in every scenario and you now have the light to use if you choose.
Kind of like somebody suggesting that no one should use a red-dot or that everyone should use a red-dot.

HOWEVER - and I'm confident that I'll ruffle some feathers here - I will absolutely point my loaded weapon and the attached WML at an unknown intruder in my home before I can positively ID them if my circumstances are such that I feel I need to.
What if it turns out to be your family, a neighbor, an officer?

Flashlights on weapons especially defensive weapons. . Rifles, pistols, shotguns. To me they seem counterproductive. Here I am , shoot at me. I wont use them. Just me?
as far as aesthetic attachment to the firearm, isn't it a first option especially in low light situations and in darkness as means of making sure of the target and blinding out the atttacker?

I think I'll get some Menthol Kools, get sentenced to a Slam and try for some Riddick eyes. That should curb the WML itch!

blob.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR